Research: Science, Engineering, and Technology
- Position and formation control of VTOL-UAVs
- Attitude control, estimation, and synchronization
- Synchronization of Mechanical systems
- Distribued consensus of multi-agent systems
- Distributed estimation in sensor networks
- Vision-based control of UAVs
- Aerial manipulation
- A. Abdessameud and A. Tayebi. Motion Coordination for VTOL Unmanned Aerial vehicles. Attitude synchronization and formation control. Advances in Industrial Control series, Springer, London, 2013. ISBN 978-1-4471-5093-0.
- S. Berkane, A. Abdessameud, and A. Tayebi. Global exponential stabilization on SO(3) via hybrid feedback. Automatica, Vol. 81, pp. 279-285, 2017.
- A. Abdessameud, A. Tayebi, and I. G. Polushin. Leader-follower synchronization of Euler-Lagrange systems with time-varying leader trajectory and constrained discrete-time communication. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 2539--2545, May 2017.
- A. Abdessameud, I. G. Polushin and A. Tayebi. Distributed coordination of dynamical multi-agent systems under directed graphs and constrained information exchange. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 62, No. 4, pp. 1668--1683, April 2017.
- A. Abdessameud, I. G. Polushin and A. Tayebi. Synchronization of Nonlinear Systems with Communication Delays and Intermittent Information Exchange. Automatica, Vol 59, pp. 1-8, 2015. arXiv:1505.01246v1.
- A. Abdessameud, I. G. Polushin and A. Tayebi. Motion Coordination of Thrust-Propelled Underactuated Vehicles with Intermittent and Delayed Communications. Systems & Control Letters, 79, pp. 15-22, 2015.
- A. Abdessameud and F.-J. Sharifi. Image-based Tracking Control of VTOL Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Automatica, Vol. 53, pp. 111-119, 2015.
- A. Abdessameud and A. Tayebi. Consensus of Heterogeneous Multiple Integrator Agents On Directed Graphs. Submitted to the 56th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Melbourn, Australia, Dec 2017.
- A. Abdessameud and A. Tayebi. Cooperative output regulation of linear multi-agent systems with communication constraints. In Proc. of the 55th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 2016, pp. 4746-4751.
- S. Berkane, A. Abdessameud and A. Tayebi. Global exponential angular velocity observer for rigid body systems. In Proc. of the 55th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 2016, pp. 4154-4159.
- S. Berkane, A. Abdessameud and A. Tayebi. A globally exponentially stable hybrid attitude and gyro-bias observer. In Proc. of the 55th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 2016, pp. 308-313.
- A. Abdessameud and A. Tayebi. State synchronization of double-integrator dynamics with delayed sampled-data information exchange. In Proc. of the 2016 American Control Conference, Boston, MA, USA. pp. 5334-5339.
- S. Berkane, A. Abdessameud, and A. Tayebi. Global hybrid attitude estimation on the Special Orthogonal Group SO(3). In Proc. of the 2016 American Control Conference, Boston, MA, USA. pp. 113-118. Best Student Paper Award Finalist.
- A. Abdessameud, A. Tayebi and I. G. Polushin. On the leader-follower synchronization of Euler-Lagrange systems. In Proc. of the 54th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Osaka, Japan, Dec 15-18, 2015, pp. 1054-1059.
- A. Abdessameud, I. G. Polushin and A. Tayebi. Distributed coordination of linear second-order multi-agent systems with communication constraints. In Proc. of the 2015 IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control (MSC), Sydney, Australia, Sept 21-23, 2015, pp. 472 - 477.
- Real Time Applications for Advanced Control Strategies
- Design of Mechatronics Systems for Industrial Processes
- Computer Interfacing, Instrumentation, Programming and Data Acquisition
- Multivariable Process Control
- System Identifications and Nonlinear Modeling
- Dubay, R., Abu-Ayyad, M., and Hernandez, J.M., A Nonlinear Regression Model-Based Predictive Control Algorithm. ISA Transactions (In press).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., Dubay, R., and Hernandez, J.M., Application of Infinite Model Approach to other Advanced Control Schemes. ISA Transactions, (In press).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., Chinta, L.V., and Dubay, R., Nonlinear Generalized Predictive Control Approach for Challenging SISO Processes. ASME Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, Oxnard, CA (Sep 2009).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., Dubay, R., and Hernandez, J.M., A Nonlinear Model-Based Predictive Controller for Injection Speed. ANTEC Conference, Chicago, IL (June 2009).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., A New Tuning Strategy for Ill-Conditioned Nonlinear Multivariable Processes. CSME Symposium Conference, Ottawa, Canada (June 2008).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., Advanced Control Schemes Using Multi-Model Approach for Nonlinear Processes. In Proceedings of the IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Niagara Falls, Canada (May 2008).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., Hernandez, J.M., and Dubay, R., Nonlinear PI Controller for Injection Speed. ANTEC Conference, Milwaukee, WI (May 2008).
- Hernandez, J.M., Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., Cavity Pressure Control during Injection in an Injection Molding Machine. ANTEC Conference, Milwaukee, WI (May 2008).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., Real-time comparison of a number of predictive controllers. ISA Transactions, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 411-418, 2007.
- Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., Important Properties of a new SISO Predictive Controller. CANCAM Symposium Conference, Toronto, Canada (June 2007).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., Development of an Extended Predictive Controller for Injection Speed. ANTEC Conference, Cincinnati, OH (May 2007).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., Development of an Extended Predictive Controller for a Speed Control System. Preprints of the IFAC Symposium on Power Plants and Power Systems Control, Kananaskis, Canada (June 2006).
- Abu-Ayyad, M., and Dubay, R., MIMO Extended Predictive Control - Implementation and Robust Stability Analysis. ISA Transactions, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 545-561, 2006.
- Abu-Ayyad, M., Dubay, R., and Kember, G., SISO Extended Predictive Control - Implementation and Robust Stability Analysis. ISA Transactions, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 373-391, 2006.
- Haddad, O. M., Al-Nimr, M. A., and Abu-Ayyad, M.A., Numerical Simulations of Forced Convection Flow Past a Parabolic Cylinder Embedded in Porous Media. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol. 12, pp. 6-28, 2002.
- Nonlinear Vibrations and Chaos
- Machine Health Monitoring using Vibration and Acoustic Signals
- Artificial Neural Network for Pattern Recognition
- Rotor Dynamics and Bearing Design
- Abu-Mahfouz, I., Gearbox Health Monitoring Experiment Using Vibration Signals. Journal of Engineering Technology (Spring 2007), pp. 26-31.
- Abu-Mahfouz, I., and Adams, M. L., Numerical Study of Some Nonlinear Dynamics of a Rotor Supported on a Three-Pad Tilting Pad Journal Bearing (TPJB). ASME Transactions Journal of Vibration & Acoustics, Vol. 127, No. 3 (June 2005), pp. 262-272.
- Abu-Mahfouz, I., A Comparative Study of Three Artificial Neural Networks for the Detection and Classification of Gear Faults. International Journal of General Systems, Vol. 34, No. 3 (June, 2005), pp. 261-277.
- Abu-Mahfouz, I., Drill Flank Wear Estimation Using Supervised Vector Quantization Neural Networks. Neural Computing & Applications, Vol. 14, No. 3 (September 2005), pp. 167-175.
- Abu-Mahfouz, I., Drilling Wear Detection and Classification Using Vibration Signals and Artificial Neural Network, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 43 (2003), pp. 707-720.
- Trautenback, U., and Abu-Mahfouz, I., Using Sound and Vibration Signals to Monitor Cell Wear on Anilox Rolls. Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation. Vol. 19, No. 4 (December 2003), pp. 187-198.
- Computational and Statistical Modeling
- Monte Carlo Methods in Simulation Modeling
- Statistical Analysis
- Mobile Software Development
- Operations Research
- J. Brian Adams. Optimal partition of a capital disbursement: The case of long term tax planning. In Maling Ebramhipour, editor, Proceedings of the 1996 Northeast Decision Sciences Institute. April 17 - 19, 1996. St. Croix, V.I, pages 123–126, Kingston, 1996. Northeast Decision Sciences Institute, University of Rhode Island.
- Joseph Brian Adams. Statistical Inference in Modeling Longitudinal Data With Feedforward Neural Networks. Ph.d. dissertation, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 1997.
- Joseph Brian Adams. Optimizing pickle harvests using a feedforward neural network. Proceedings of the Northeast Agricultural and Resource Economics Association Annual Meeting, June 22 - 24, 1997. Sturbridge, MA, pages 1–20, 1997.
- Ryan P. Jost, Conrado M. Gempesaw, II, Ed Kee, and Brian Adams. Predicting Optimum Pickle Harvest: Validating a Neural Network Model. Proceedings of the World Conference on Computers in Agriculture and Natural Resources, seventh conference, October 28, 1998.
- Joseph Brian Adams, Predicting pickle harvests using a parametric feedforward neural network, Journal of Applied Statistics, 26 (1999) 165–176.
- J. Brian Adams, "Identication of Voting Machine Errors During the 2000 General Election in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania." [Online] Available http://vote.caltech.edu/Reports/adams.pdf (2001) 1–9.
- Joseph B. Adams, "A Data Mining Approach for Identifying Erroneous Election Results," In J.E. Kendell (ed.) Proceedings of the 35th Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, Atlanta: Decision Sciences Institute, Atlanta, GA, pages 691–697, 2004
- J. Brian Adams and Yijin Wert, "Logistic and Neural Network Models for Predicting Hospital Admissions," Journal of Applied Statistics, 32 (2005) 861–869.
- Electro-optic System Design
- Optical modulators & sensors
- RF & Microwave Systems
- Lightwave propagation in optical fibers
- Direct electro-optic modulation of lightwaves in glass and plastic fibers
- Fiber Optics
- Communications Systems Design
- Wireless Systems Design
- Electro-optic System Design
- Optical Sensors
- Sedig S. Agili and T.K. Ishii, "Theory of Direct Modulation of Lightwaves in Optical Fibers." Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 323-328, 8/5/1998.
- S.S. Agili and T.K. Ishii, "Spectral-Domain Observations of Direct Modulation of Lightwaves in Optical Fibers." Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 296-300, 12/1997.
- S.S.Agili and T.K. Ishii, "Time-Domain Observations of Direct Modulation of Lightwaves in Optical Fibers." Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp.216-319, 11/1997.
- Sedig S. Agili, "Direct Electro-Optic Modulation of Lightwaves in Optical Fibers."Ph.D.Dissertation, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, August 1996.
- S.S. Agili and T.K. Ishii, "Direct Modulation of Guided Lightwaves in Optical Fibers." Sigma Xi Poster Session, Marquette University Chapter, Milwaukee, WI, April 3, 1996.
- S.S. Agili and T.K. Ishii, "Self Electro-Optic Effect on an Optical Fiber." Optical Engineering Midwest '95, SPIE Proceeding, Vol. 2622, PP. 328-335.
- Sedig S. Agili, "Electro-Optic Modulation of Guided Lightwaves in Optical Fibers." Sigma Xi poster Session, Marquette University Chapter, Milwaukee, WI, April 12, 1995.
- Sedig S. Agili and T.K. Ishii, "Direct Electro-optic Modulation of Lightwaves in Fibers." Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 7, No. 14, PP. 670-673, Oct 5, 1994.
- Sedig S. Agili, "Electro-Optic Effect in Acrylic Plastics." Sigma Xi Poster Session, Marquette University Chapter, Milwaukee, WI, April 21, 1993.
- Sedig S. Agili, "An Electro-Optic Modulator Using Acrylic Plastics." M.S. Thesis, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, December 1989.
- Optics and photonics
- Carrier dynamics in semiconductor multiple quantum wells
- Kenneth M. Beck, Alan G. Joly, Nicholas F. Dupuis, Peggy Perozzo, Wayne P. Hess, Peter V. Sushko, and Alexander L. Shluger, “Laser control of product electronic state: Desorption from alkali halides,” Journal of Chemical Physics, 120, 5 (2004).
- Nicholas Dupuis, Peggy Perozzo, Ken Beck, Alan Joly, Wayne Hess, Laser Control of Atomic Desorption for Chlorine Salts, presented by N. Dupuis at the Laser Interactions with Materials Gordon Research Conference, July 21 – 26, 2002 Proctor Academy, Andover NH.
- P. Perozzo, "Hands-on Optics; The Single-use Camera," Optics and Photonics News, September, 44, (2001).
- A. Miller, P. Riblet, M. Mazilu, S. White, T. M. Holden, A. R. Cameron, and P. Perozzo, “Exciton saturation in GaAs multiple quantum wells at room temperature,” Journal of Applied Physics 86, 3734 (1999).
- Britton, R S; Grevatt, T; Malinowski, A; Harley, R T; Perozzo, P; Cameron, A R; Miller, A, “Room temperature spin relaxation in GaAs/AlGaAs multiple quantum wells,” Applied Physics Letters 73, 2140 (1998).
- Review of the book, Ultrafast Spectroscopy of Semiconductors and Semiconductor Nanostructures, by Jagdeep Shah, Laser Focus World, April 1997.
- M. J. Snelling, P. Perozzo, D. C. Hutchings, I. Galbraith, and A. Miller, “Investigation of excitonic saturation by time-resolved circular dichroism in GaAs-AlxGa1-xAs multiple quantum wells,” Physical Review B 49, 17160 (1994).
- Control systems
- Signals and systems
- Model order reductions
- Computer architecture
- Thermal Management
- Medical device development
- Multi-physics modeling
- Magnetic nanoparticle hyperthermia for oncology applications
- Thermal oncology
- Artificial Organs
- Attaluri A*., Seshadri M*., Wabler M., Mirpour S., Zhou H., Ivkov R., and Liapi E., 2016 “Image-guided thermal therapy with a dual-contrast magnetic nanoparticle formulation: A feasibility study”, Early-online, International Journal of Hyperthermia (equal contributions) http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2016.1159737
- Attaluri A., Kandala S., Wabler W., Zhou H., Cornejo C., Armour M., Hedayati M., Zhang Y., DeWeese TL., Herman C., and Ivkov R., 2015, “Magnetic nanoparticle hyperthermia enhances radiation therapy: A study in mouse models of human prostate cancer”, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 31(4), 359-374. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2015.1005178
- Wabler M., Zhu W., Hedayati M., Attaluri A., Zhou H., Mihalic J., A. Geyh A., DeWeese T.L., Ivkov R., Artemov D., 2014, "Magnetic resonance imaging contrast of iron oxide nanoparticles developed for hyperthermia is dominated by iron content" International Journal of Hyperthermia, 30(3), 192–200. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2014.913321
- Chamani A., Mehta HP., McDermott MK., Djeffal M., Nayyar G., Patwardhan DV., Attaluri A., Topoleski TLD., and Zhu L., 2014, "Theoretical Simulation of Temperature Elevations in a Joint Wear Simulator During Rotations," Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 136(2), 021027, Paper No: BIO-13-1394. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4026158
- Manuchehrabadi N., Toughiri R., Bieberich C., Cai H., Attaluri A., Edziah R., Lalanne E., Johnson AM., Ma R., Zhu L., 2013, "Treatment efficacy of laser photothermal therapy using gold nanorods," International Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Technology, 12(2), 157-176. http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJBET.2013.056508
- Lebrun A., Manuchehrabadi N., Attaluri A., Wang F., Ma R., and Zhu L., 2013, "MicroCT Image Generated Tumor Geometry and SAR Distribution for Tumor Temperature Elevation Simulations in Magnetic Nanoparticle Hyperthermia", International Journal of Hyperthermia, 29(8), 730–738. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2013.836757
- Attaluri A., Nusbaum C., Wabler W., and Ivkov R., 2013, “Calibration of a quasi-adiabatic magnetothermal calorimeter used to characterize magnetic nanoparticle heating”, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 4(1), 011006 (8 pages). http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4024273
- Kumar A., Attaluri A*., Mallipudi R., Cornejo C., Bordelon D., Armour M., Morua K., DeWeese TL, Ivkov R, 2013, "Method to reduce non-specific tissue heating of small animals in solenoid coils", International Journal of Hyperthermia, 29(2), pp.106-120 (*equal contributions) http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2013.764023
- Manuchehrabadi N., Attaluri A., Cai H., Edziah E., Lalanne E., Bieberich
- C., Ma R., Johnson AM., and Zhu L., 2012 “MicroCT Imaging and In Vivo Temperature Elevations in Implanted Prostatic Tumors during Laser Photothermal Therapy Using Gold Nanorods”, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 3(2), pp. 021003: 1-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4007161
- Attaluri A., Ma R., and Zhu L., 2011, “Nanoparticle Distribution and Temperature Elevations in Prostatic Tumors in Mice during Magnetic Nanoparticle Hyperthermia”, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 27(5), pp. 491–502 http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02656736.2011.584856
- Attaluri A., Ma R., and Zhu L., 2011, “Using MicroCT Imaging Technique to Quantify Heat Generation Distribution Induced by Magnetic Nanoparticles for Cancer Treatments,” Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(1), pp. 011003-011008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4002225
- Attaluri A., Huang Z., and Zhu L., 2010, "Evaluation of an Interstitial
- Cooling Device for Carotid Arterial Cooling Using a Tissue Equivalent Gel Phantom," Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 2(1), pp. 011007-011012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4002196
Attaluri A., Huang Z., Belwalkar A., Van Geertruyden W., Gao D., and Misiolek W., 2009, "Evaluation of Nano-Porous Alumina Membranes for Hemodialysis Application," American Society for Artificial Internal Organs Journal, 55(3), pp. 217-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/MAT.0b013e3181949924
- Nonlinear Design Optimization
- Creativity in Product Design
- Classification, Clustering and Data Mining
- Image Processing, Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence
- Structural Integrity Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure
- Banerjee, A., Robust Fuzzy Clustering as a Multi-Objective Optimization Procedure. In Proceedings of the 28th North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Annual Conference (NAFIPS 09), Cincinnati, OH (Jun 2009).
- Banerjee, A., Quiroz, J. C., and Louis, S. J., A Model of Creative Design using Collaborative Interactive Genetic Algorithms. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Design Computing and Cognition (DCC 08), Atlanta, GA (Jun 2008).
- Banerjee, A., Misra, M., Srinivasan, A. R., Lu, X.-J., Olson, W., Dave, R. N., and Venanzi, C. A., Feature Extraction Using Molecular Planes Parameters for Fuzzy Relational Clustering of a Flexible Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 2216-2227, 2007.
- Meegoda, J., Juliano, T., and Banerjee, A., A Framework for Automatic Condition Assessment of Culverts. Journal of Transportation Research Board 1948, pp. 26-36 (Oct 2006).
- Banerjee, A., and Dave, R. N., The Fuzzy Mega-Cluster: Robustifying FCM by Scaling Down Memberships. In Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 3613, Eds. Wang, L. and Y. Jin, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 444-453, 2005.
- Misra, M., Banerjee, A., Dave, R. N., and Venanzi, C. A., Novel Feature Extraction for Fuzzy Relational Clustering of a Flexible Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 610-623, 2005.
- Banerjee, A., A Dynamic Fuzzy Game-theoretic Approach to the Modified Prisoner's Dilemma. Logic Journal of the Interest Group in Pure and Applied Logics (IGPL), Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 493-502, 2005.
- Yang, J., Sliva, A., Banerjee, A., Dave, R. N, and Pfeffer, R., Dry Powder Coating for Improving the Flowability of Cohesive Powders. Powder Technology, Vol. 158(1-3), pp. 21-33, 2005.
- Nanoelectronics and Safety of Nanotechnology Materials
- Biomedical Engineering
- Neurosciences (Human brain mapping)
- Modeling and Simulation of nanolectronic devices
- Medical 3D Image Processing & Analysis
- T. Persons, R. Webber, P. Hemler, W. Bettermann, J. Bourland (2000) “Brachytherapy volume visualization”, Proceedings of SPIE Volume: 3976 (ISBN 9780819435934)
- Richard L. Webber, W. Bettermann (1999) “A Method for correcting for errors produced by Variable Magnification in three-dimensional tuned-aperture computed tomography”, Dentomaxillofacial Radiology (1999) 28, 305-310
- T. Persons, P. Hemler, W. Bettermann, R. Webber (1999) “Volume Visualization Using Two Projections”, Engineering in Medicine and Biology, 21st Annual Conf. and the 1999 Annual Fall Meeting of the Biomedical Engineering Soc., BMES/EMBS Conference, 1999. Proceedings of the First Joint, Oct 1999.
- W. Qingkang, S. Changxing, W. Bettermann (1992), “Two Dimensional Simulation of Characteristics for MSN Photodectors”, Research & Progress of Solid State Electronics; 1992-04
- M. Heuken, J. Sollner, W. Betterman, K. Heime, B. Bollig, E. Kubalek (1991) „ZnS/ZnSe/GaAs heterostructures grown by metal‑organic vapour phase epitaxy”, Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 9, issues 1-3, 189‑193
- W. Bettermann (1988) “Magneto‑Steilheitsmessungen an Heterostrukturfeldeffekttransistoren (Magneto-conductance on heterostructure field-effect transistors)”, Diploma Thesis, University Duisburg, Germany. (http://www.hlt.uni-duisburg.de/index.asp?url=/arbeiten/abgeschlossene.asp?nosearch_flag=true)
- W. Bettermann (1986) “HALL‑Messungen an Halbleiterheterostrukturen (Hall measurements of semiconductor heterostructures), ”Student Thesis (3 months), University Duisburg Germany. (http://www.hlt.uni-duisburg.de/index.asp?url=/arbeiten/abgeschlossene.asp?nosearch_flag=true)
- R. Horton, P. Hemler, W. Bettermann, F. Fahey, S Robinson (1999), “TACT®: A method for Synthesizing Three-Dimensional Images from Arbitrary Projections”, Publication accepted for presentation at the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Chicago, Dec. 1-5
- R. Webber, W. Bettermann (1999), “A Method for Generating Tomosynthetic Slices that corrects for Registration Errors Produced by Variable Magnification”, Publication presented at North Carolina Academy of Science at Elon College Annual Meeting, March 27-28
- T. Person, P. Hemler, W. Bettermann, R. Webber (1999), “Volume Visualization Using Two Projections”, Publication accepted for presentation at BMES-EMBS Joint Conference, Atlanta, GA
- W. Jermoe, W. Bettermann, R. Webber,K. Grant, P.Yancey, A. Gailany (1999) “3D Reconstruction of Thick Ivem Samples Using Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography”, Accepted Invited Speaker Presentation at the Conference of Microscopy and Microanalysis, Portland, Oregon
- J. Konietzka, W. Bettermann, H. Schmidt, K. Heime (1992) “Simulation der Zink‑Diffusion in InP“, DPG‑Frühjahrstagung, Regensburg, Germany
- W. Qingkang, S. Changxing, W. Bettermann (1992) “Two dimensional simulation of characteristics for In0.53Ga0.47As MSM Photodetectors” Publication presented at the 2nd “International Conference on VLSI and CAD (ICVC’91)”, The Korean Institute of Telematics and Electronics, The IEEE Korean Section, Oct 22‑ 25, Seoul, Korea.
- W. Bettermann, M. Stahl, K. Heime (1991) “Numerical modeling of zinc diffusion in Indium Phosphide including the influence of electric field on diffusion of donors in undoped an doped Indium Phosphide substrates”, Publication presented at the 180ten “Electrochemical Society Meeting (SOTAPOCS)”, Phoenix, Arizona
- W. Prost, W. Bettermann, K.Heime, I.Gyuro, H.Dämbkes, M.Heuken, G.Weimann, W.Schlapp (1989); "HALL-equivalent determination of carrier mobility and concentration in SQW-,MQW- and HIG-FET channels", Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No. 106, pp.501-506
- W. Bettermann (1993), “Simulation der Diffusion von Dotierstoffen in III‑V–Verbindungshalbleitern” (Simulation of diffusion of dopant in III-V- compound semiconductors), Verlag Shaker, Aachen, Germany,
- Genetic Algorithms
- Ant Systems
- Evolutionary Computation
- Combinatorial Optimization
- Graph Algorithms
- Bui, T. N., X. Deng, C. M. Zrncic, “An Improved Ant-Based Algorithm for the Degree-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree Problem,'' IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Volume 16, Issue 2, 2012, pp. 266-278.
- Bui, T. N., T. H. Nguyen, and J. R. Rizzo Jr., “Parallel Shared Memory Strategies for Ant-Based Optimization Algorithms,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2009), ACM Press, Seattle, July 2009, pp. 1-8. (received the best paper award in the Ant Colony Optimization and Swarm Intelligence Track)
- Bui, T. N., T. H. Nguyen, C. M. Patel, and K. T. Phan, “An Ant-Based Algorithm for Coloring Graphs,'' Discrete Applied Mathematics, Volume 156, Issue 2, 15 January 2008, pp. 190-200.
- Bui, T. N. and T. H. Nguyen, “An Agent-Based Algorithm for Generalized Graph Colorings,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2006), ACM Press, Seattle, July 2006, pp. 19-26.
- Bui, T. N. and C. M. Zrncic, “An Ant-Based Algorithm for Finding Degree-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2006), ACM Press, Seattle, July 2006, pp. 11-18. (received the best paper award in the Ant Colony Optimization and Swarm Intelligence Track)
- Bui, T. N. and G. Sundarraj, “An Efficient Genetic Algorithm for Predicting Protein Tertiary Structures in the 2D HP Model,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2005), ACM Press, Washington DC, June 2005, pp. 385-392.
- Bui, T. N. and M. Colpan, “Solving Geometric TSP with Ants,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2005), ACM Press, Washington DC, June 2005, pp. 271-272.
- Bui, T. N. and W. A. Youssef, “An Enhanced Genetic Algorithm for DNA Sequencing by Hybridization with Positive and Negative Errors,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2004), Seattle, June 2004, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3103, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, pp. 908-919. (received the best paper award in the Real World Applications Track)
- Bui, T. N. and G. Sundarraj, “Ant System for the $k$-Cardinality Tree Problem,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2004), Seattle, June 2004, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3102, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, pp. 36-47.
- Bui, T. N. and J. R. Rizzo, “Finding Maximum Cliques with Distributed Ants,'' Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2004), Seattle, June 2004, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3102, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, pp. 24-35.
- Bui, T. N. and L. C. Strite, “An Ant System Algorithm for Graph Bisection,'' GECCO 2002: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, W. B. Langdon et al. (Eds.), pp. 43--51, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, 2002.
- Bui, T. N., “Graph Partitioning,'' Encyclopedia of Optimization, edited by C. A. Floudas and P. M. Pardalos, Kluwer Academic Publishers, June 2001, Vol. 2, pp. 362--368.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “GRCA: A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for Circuit Ratio-Cut Partitioning,'' IEEE Trans. on Computer Aided Design, Vol. 17, No. 3, March 1998, pp. 193-204.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “Genetic Algorithms and Graph Partitioning,'' IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 45, No. 7, July 1996, pp. 841-855.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “On Multidimensional Encoding/Crossover,'' Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA6), July 1995, pp. 49-56.
- Bui, T. N. and P. H. Eppley, “A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for the Maximum Clique Problem,'' Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA6), July 1995, pp. 478--484.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “Analyzing Hyperplane Synthesis in Genetic Algorithms Using Clustered Schemata,'' Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, Lecture Notes in Computer Science #866, October 1994, pp. 108--118.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “A New Genetic Approach for the Traveling Salesman Problem,'' Proceedings of the First IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation, June 1994, pp. 7--12.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “A Fast and Stable Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for the Ratio-Cut Partitioning Problem on Hypergraphs,'' Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM 31st Design Automation Conference (DAC'94), June 1994, pp. 664--669.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “Hyperplane Synthesis for Genetic Algorithms,'' Proc. of the Fifth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA-93), July 1993, pp. 102--109.
- Bui, T. N. and B. R. Moon, “Genetic Algorithms for a Special Class of Quadratic Assignment Problem,'' invited paper, The Quadratic Assignment and Related Problems, DIMACS (Center for Discrete Math and Computer Science) Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, Volume 16, Edited by P. M. Pardalos and H. Wolkowicz, 1994, pp. 99--116.
- Bui, T. N. and C. Jones, “A Heuristic for Reducing Fill-In in Sparse Matrix Factorization,'' Proc. of the 6th Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, Norfolk, Virginia, March 1993, pp. 445--452.
- Bui, T. N., W. Hsu and S. L. Lee, “A 2.5 Approximation Algorithm for the Multi-Via Assignment Problem,'' IEEE Transactions on CAD of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 11(11), Nov. 1992, pp. 1325--1333.
- Bui, T. N. and C. Jones, “Finding Good Approximate Vertex and Edge Partitions Is NP-hard,'' Information Processing Letters, 42, May 1992, pp. 153--159.
- Bui, T. N. and A. Peck, “Partitioning Planar Graphs,'' SIAM Journal of Computing, 21(2), April 1992, pp. 203--215.
- Bui, T. N. and U. Prabhu, “Reconfigurable Embeddings of a Multi-Dimensional Mesh in a Hypercube,'' Proceedings of the 28th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, 1990, pp. 226--235.
- Bui, T. N. and C. Jones, “Parallel Algorithms for Partitioning Simple Classes of Graphs,'' Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Parallel Processing, 1990, Volume III, pp. 150--153.
- Bui, T. N., S. Chaudhuri, F. T. Leighton, and M. Sipser, “Graph Bisection Algorithms with Good Average Case Behavior,'' Combinatorica, 7(2), 1987, pp. 171--191.
- Josephson Junctions
- Magnesium Diboride
- Low-Temperature Physics
- Steven Carabello, Joseph G. Lambert, Jerome Mlack, Wenqing Dai, Qi Li, Ke Chen, Daniel Cunnane, X. X. Xi, and Roberto C. Ramos, "Microwave resonant activation in hybrid single-gap/two-gap Josephson tunnel junctions," Journal of Applied Physics 120, 123904, September 2016
- Steven Carabello, "Experimental Investigations of Magnesium Diboride Josephson Junctions," Ph. D. Thesis, Drexel University, May 2016
- Steven Carabello, Joseph G Lambert, Jerome Mlack, Wenqing Dai, Qi Li, Ke Chen, Daniel Cunnane, C G Zhuang, X X Xi and Roberto C Ramos, "Energy gap substructures in conductance measurements of MgB 2 -based Josephson junctions: beyond the two-gap model," Superconductor Science and Technology 28, 055015, April 2015
- Ke Chen, Wenqing Dai, C.G. Zhuang, Qi Li, Steven Carabello, Joseph G. Lambert, Jerome T. Mlack, Roberto C. Ramos and X. X. Xi, "Momentum-dependent multiple gaps in magnesium diboride probed by electron tunnelling spectroscopy," Nature Communications 3, 619, January 2012
- Steve Carabello, Joseph Lambert, Jerome Mlack and Roberto Ramos, "Differential Conductance Measurements of MgB2-Based Josephson Junctions Below 1 Kelvin", IEEE/CSC & ESAS European Superconductivity News Forum (ENSF), Vol. 15, January 2011
- S. Carabello, D. Koltick, A. Bolozdynya, and Y. Chang, "Scintillating Fiber Performance in High Pressure Noble Gases" SCIFI 97 conference proceedings: Conference on Scintillating and Fiber Detectors, Notre Dame, IN, Nov. 1997, pp. 70-80.
- S. Carabello, D. Gau, B. Howel, D. Koltick, Yu. Pischalnikov, and D. Michael, "A Precision Technique for Mounting Scintillating Fiber Ribbons for Charged Particle Tracking" presented at the 1995 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, San Francisco , CA , Oct. 21-28, 1995.
- Medical Image Processing / Visualization
- Physics-Based Deformable Models
- Variational Methods
- Scalable Vector Graphics
- Collaborative Groupware
- Knowledge-Based Systems
- Online/Offline Learning Systems
- S. Chang, H. Emoto, D. N. Metaxas, and L. Axel, "Pulmonary Micronodule Detection from 3D Chest CT ," MICCAI 2004: 7th International Conference, Saint-Malo , France, September 26–29, 2004. Also in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3217:821828, Springer, 2004.
- S. Chang, D. N. Metaxas, and L. Axel, "Scan-Conversion Algorithm for Ridge Point Detection on Tubular Objects," MICCAI 2003: 6th International Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, November 1618, 2003. Also in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2879:158165, Springer, 2003.
- S. Chang, C. A. Kulikowski, S. M. Dunn, and S. Levy, "Biomedical Image Skeletonization: A Novel Method Applied to Fibrin Network Structures," MedInfo 2001, London, UK, September 2–5, 2001.
- S. Chang, C. A. Kulikowski, S. M. Dunn, S. Levy, and J. W. Weisel, "Skeletonization of Fibrin Networks," Microscopy and Microanalysis, Philadelphia, PA, August 14–17, 2000.
- S. Chang, S. M. Dunn, and P. F. Stelt, "Volume Visualization for Localized Tomography," The fifth symposium on Digital Imaging in Dental Radiology, 1998.
- L. Gong, C. A. Kulikowski, and S. Chang, "Knowledge-Based Planning for Intelligent Control In Real-Time Groupware," Intelligent Systems and Computer Applications Conference, 1997.
- L. Gong, C. A. Kulikowski, and S. Chang, "An Intelligent Groupware Environment for Real-Time Distributed Medical Collaboration," The 21st symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, 1997.
- Seismic Area: Spatially Varying Ground Motion; Seismic Induced Earth Pressure; Isolation Devices & Methods
- Innovative Bridge Technologies & Systems
- Integrated Design and Construction
- Software Development
- Structural Stability and Reliability
- High Performance Materials (Steel & Concrete)
- Performance under Extreme Loading or Environmental Conditions
- Smart Structures
- Testing: Nondestructive; Wind Tunnel; Full/Large Scale.
- Protective Technology and Structures
- Composite Structures
- Geo-environmental Engineering
- Sustainable/Green engineering
- Energy efficient materials
- Cutting Edge Technology
- Zhou, X. H., G. Z. Zheng, J. P. Liu, D. Gan, and Y. F. Chen. Behavior of circular tubed-RC column to RC beam connections under axial compression, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 130, 96-108 (2017).
- Zhou, X. H., G. Z. Zheng, J. P. Liu, D. Gan, and Y. F. Chen. Connections between RC beam and square-tubed RC column under axial compression experiments, Steel and Composite Structures, 23(4), 453-464 (2017).
- Chen, Y. F. Rational and practical method for determination of seismic induced pressure on non-yielding walls, Journal of Structural Integrity & Maintenance, 2(1), 48-59 (2017).
- Zhou, X. H., J. Li., J. P. Liu, and Y. F. Chen. Dynamic performance characteristics of pre-stressed cable RC truss floor system under human-induced loads, Int’l J. of Struct. Stability and Dynamics, 17(4), 1750049-1 to 20 (2017).
- Liu, Y. Z., W. J. Wang, Y. F. Chen, and H. F. Ji. Residual stress-strain relationship for thermal insulation concrete with recycled aggregate after high temperature, Construction and Building Materials, 129, 37-47 (2016).
- Zhou, X. H., L. Cao, Y. F. Chen, J. P. Liu, and J. Li. Acceleration response of pre-stressed cable RC truss floor system subjected to heel-drop loading, ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 30(5), 04016014-1 to 8 (2016).
- Nie, R. S., W. M. Leng, Q. Yang, and Y. F. Chen. An improved instrumentation method for PHC piles, Geotechnical Eng., 169(6), 494-508 (2016).
- Chen, Y. F., J. S. Liu, and Y. Shi. Retrofitting of a seismically deficient building, Journal of Structural Integrity & Maintenance, 1(3), 107-113 (2016).
- Zhou, X. H., J. P. Liu, X. D. Wang, and Y. F. Chen. Behavior and design of slender circular tubed-reinforced-concrete columns subjected to eccentric compression, Engineering Structures, 124, 17-28 (2016).
- Dai, G.L. M. Su, and Y. F. Chen. Design and construction of simple beam bridges for high-speed rails in China: standardization and industrialization, The Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering, 11(4), 274-282 (2016).
- Wang, C. S., L. Duan, Y. F. Chen, and S. C. Wang. Flexural behavior and ductility of hybrid high performance steel I-girders, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 125, 1-14 (2016).
- Zhou, X. H., L. Cao, Y. F. Chen, J. P., and J. Li. Experimental and analytical studies on the vibration serviceability of pre-stressed cable RC truss floor systems, Journal of Sound & Vibration, 361, 130-147 (2016).
- Liu, Y. J., Y. F. Chen, W. J. Wang, and Z. Li. Bond performance of thermal insulation concrete under freeze-thaw cycles, Construction & Building Materials, 104, 116-125 (2016).
- Qiao, G. F., T. Y. Li, and Y. F. Chen. Assessment and retrofitting solutions for a historical wooden pavilion in China, Construction & Building Materials, 105, 435-447 (2016).
- Han, P. J., C. Ren, X. H. Bai, and Y. F. Chen. Corrosion mechanisms of cemented soils in three different sulfate solutions, Acta Geoetchnica Slovenica, 12(2), 77-85 (2015).
- Liu, J. S., Y. F. Chen, Y. Ma, and S. Y. Zhang. Condition evaluation of a unique mining site. International Journal of Mining Science & Technology, 25, 1023-1029 (2015).
- Han, P. J., Y. F. Chen, X. H. Bai, and B. He. Effects of magnesium chloride polluted soils on underground Q235 steel pipelines, Materials Testing, 57(10), 850-858 (2015).
- Zhao, L., W. Wang, Z. Li, and Y. F. Chen. An experimental study to evaluate the effects of adding glazed hollow beads on the mechanical properties and thermal conductivity of concrete, Materials Research Innovations, 19(S5), 929-935 (2015).
- Zhao, Z., W. Wang, Z. Li, and Y. F. Chen. Microstructure and pore fractal dimensions of recycled thermal insulation concrete, Materials Testing, 57(4), 349-359 (2015).
- Han, P. J., Y. F. Chen, B. Shen, and D. Y. Du. Experimental investigation on the corrosion mechanism of cemented soils in magnesium sulfate solution, Materials Testing, 56(9), 675-680 (2014).
- Hsu, W. T., D. M. Lue, and Y. F. Chen. Design aid for moment strength of built-up crane runway girders, International Journal of Steel Structures, 12(3), 403-417 (2012).
- Chen, Y. Assessment of the current US seismic displacement requirements for bridges in a low-moderate seismic zone, Engineering Structures, 26, 1365-1379 (2004).
- Chen, Y. Practical analysis and design of mechanically-stabilized earth walls—I. Design philosophies and procedures, Engineering Structures, 22(7), 793-808 (2000).
- Chen, Y. Distribution of vehicular loads on bridge girders by the FEA using ADINA: modeling, simulation, and Comparison, Computers & Structures, 72, 127-139 (1999).
- Chen, Y. Finite element analysis for walking vibration problems for composite precast building floors using ADINA: modeling, simulation, and comparison, Computers & Structures, 72, 109-126 (1999).
- Chen, Y. Assessment on pile effective lengths and their effects on design: I. Theory, Computers & Structures, 62(2), 265-286 (1997).
- Chen, Y. and A. Aswad. Stretching the span capability of prestressed concrete bridges under AASHTO LRFD, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 1(3), 112-120 (1996).
- Chen, Y. Modeling and analysis methods of bridges and their effects on seismic responses: I. Theory, Computers & Structures, 59(1), 81-98 (1996).
- Chen, Y. Refined and simplified methods of lateral distribution for bridges with unequally spaced girders: II. Applications, Computers & Structures, 55(1), 17-32 (1995).
- Chen, Y. Dynamic analysis and response of large reinforced concrete conduits in inhomogeneous soil strata, Computers & Structures, 56(2/3), 475-483 (1995).
- Aswad, A. and Y. Chen. Impact of LRFD Specification on load distribution of prestressed concrete bridges, PCI Journal, 39(5), 78-89 (1994).
- Chen, Y. and A. Aswad. Vibration characteristics of double tee building floors, PCI Journal, 39(1), 84-95 (1994).
- Chen, Y. Interface effects on box-type reinforced concrete structures: I. Theory, Computers & Structures, 42(3), 383-390 (1993).
- Chen, Y. On static and dynamic refined analysis of reinforced concrete bridges, Computers & Structures, 47(4/5), 601-613 (1993).
- Chen, Y. and T. Krauthammer. Seismic effects on large RC lifelines: Part I. Theory, Computers & Structures, 42(2), 129-135 (1992).
- Chen, Y. and T. Krauthammer. A combined ADINA-finite difference approach with substructuring for seismically induced nonlinear soil-structure interaction problems, Computers & Structures, 32(3/4), 779-785 (1989).
- Krauthammer, T. and Y. Chen. Soil-structure interface effects on dynamic interaction analysis of reinforced concrete lifelines, Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering, 8(1), 32-42 (1989).
- Krauthammer, T. and Y. Chen. Free field earthquake ground motions: effects of various numerical simulation approaches on dynamic soil-structure interaction results, Engineering Structures, 10(2), 85-94 (1988).
- Krauthammer, T. and Y. Chen. Dynamic soil-structure interaction of rectangular reinforced concrete lifelines, Engineering Structures, 8, 181-190 (1986).
Current Funded Research Projects
- “Development and Advance of Modern Bridge & Tunnel Technologies”.
- “Optimized Properties of High-Performance Nano Perlite Insulation Material and Its Applications”.
- Tang, H., Xie, Y. and Chen, Y. 2012. Use of Bio-Amp for Pretreatment of Wastewater Containing Fat, Oil, and Grease(FOG). Accepted to Bioresource Technnol.
- Tang, H., Chen, Y., Regan, J. and Xie, Y. 2012. Disinfection byproduct formation potentials of wastewater effluents and their removal in a model wastewater treatment plant. J. Environ Monitor. 14(6): 1515-1522.
- Yankey, W.B., Chen, Y. and Chen, H. 2012. Evaluation of USEPA Time-Temperature Requirement for Escherichia coli Destruction by Standard Culture Method and Viability Flow Cytometry. J. Residual Sci. Tech. 9(1): 9-19.
- Chen, Y., Higgins, M.J., Beightol, S.M., Murthy, S.N. and Toffey, W.E. 2011. Anaerobically Digested Biosolids Odor Generation and Pathogen Indicator Regrowth after Dewatering. Water Res. 45(8): 2616-2626.
- Chen, Y., Higgins, M.J., Hendrickson, D.E. and Murthy, S.N. 2011. Do alternate bacterial indicators and pathogens increase after centrifuge dewatering of anaerobically digested biosolids? Water Environ. Res. 83(11): 2057-2066.
- Chen, Y., Murthy, S.N., Hendrickson, D.E., Araujo, G. and Higgins, M.J. 2011. The Effect of Digestion and Dewatering on Sudden Increases and Regrowth of Indicator Bacteria after Dewatering. Water Environ. Res. 83(9): 773-783.
- Higgins, M.J., Chen, Y., Novak, J.T., Glindemann, D.E., Forbes, R., Erdal, Z., Witherspoon, J., McEwen, D., Murthy, S.N., Hargreaves, R. and Adams, G. 2008. A Multi-Plant Study to Understand the Chemicals and Process Parameters Associated with Biosolids Odors. Environ. Eng.: Appl. Res. Pract. 5: 1-13.
- Higgins, M.J., Adams, G., Chen, Y., Erdal, Z., Forbes, R., Glindemann, D., Hargreaves, R., McEwen, D., Murthy, S., Novak, J.T. and Witherspoon, J. 2008. Role of Protein, Amino Acids, and Enzyme Activity on Odor Production from Anaerobically Digested and dewatered Biosolids. Water Environ. Res. 80(2): 127-135.
- Chen, Y., Adams, G., Erdal, Z., Forbes R.H., Hargreaves, R., Higgins, M.J., Murthy, S.N., Novak, J.T., Witherspoon, J. and Toffey, W.E. 2007. The Effect of Aluminum Sulfate Addition during Condition on Production of Volatile Organic Sulfur Compounds from Anaerobically Digested Biosolids. Water Practice 1(4): 1-13.
- Higgins, M.J., Chen, Y., Murthy, S.N., Maas, N.A. and Hendrickson, D. 2007. Reactivation and growth of non-culturable indicator bacteria in anaerobically digested biosolids after centrifuge dewatering. Water Research, 41(3): 665-673.
- Novak, J.T., Park, C., Higgins, M.J., Chen, Y., Morton, R., Gary, D., Forbes, R. and Erdal, Z. 2007. Impacts of the MicroSludge™ Process on Odor Causing Compounds in Anaerobically Digested Biosolids. Water Practice 1(4)1-12.
- Chen, Y., Higgins, M.J., Maas, N.A. and Murthy, S.N. 2006. DNA extraction and E. coli quantification of anaerobically digested biosolids using the competitive touchdown PCR method. Water Research 40(16): 3037-3044.
- Chen, Y., Higgins, M.J., Murthy, S.N., Maas, N.A., Covert, K.J. and Toffey, W.E. 2006. Mechanisms for the production of odorous volatile aromatic compounds in wastewater biosolids. Journal of Residual Science & Technology. 3(4): 193-202.
- Higgins, M.J., Chen, Y., Yarosz, D.P., Murthy, S.N., Maas, N.A., Glindemann, D. and Novak, J.T. 2006. Cycling of volatile organic sulfur compounds in biosolids and its implications for odors. Water Environment Research 78 (10): 243-252.
- Novak, J.T., Adams, G., Chen, Y., Erdal, Z., Forbe, R.H., Glindemann, D., Hargreaves, J.R., Hentz, L., Higgins, M.J., Murthy, S.N., Witherspoon, J. 2006. Generation pattern of sulfur containing gases from anaerobically digested sludge cakes. Water Environment Research 78(8): 821-827.
- Glindemann, D., Murthy, S.N., Higgins, M.J., Chen, Y. and Novak J.T. 2006. Biosolids incubation method for odorous gas measurement from dewatered sludge cakes. Journal of Residual Science & Technology 3(3): 153-160.
- Chen, Y., Higgins, M.J. Maas, N.A., Murthy, S.N., Toffey, W.E. and Foster, D.J. 2005. Roles of Methanogens on Volatile Organic Sulfur Compound Production in Anaerobically Digested Wastewater Biosolids. Water Sci. & Technol. 52(1-2): 67-72.
- Murthy, S.N., Higgins, M.J., Chen, Y. and Toffey, W. 2004. No Shearing Please – Dewatering equipment can affect biosolids odors. Water Environ. Technol. 16: 40-44.
- Chen, Y. and Banks, M.K. 2004. Bacterial Community Evaluations During Establishment of Tall Fescue (Festuca arundinacea) in Soil Contaminated with Pyrene. Int. J. Phytoremediation.6: 227-238.
- Chen, Y., Banks, M.K. and Schwab, A.P. 2003. Fate of Pyrene in Phytoremediation using Tall Fescue and Switchgrass. Environ Sci. Technol.37: 5778-5782.
- Sustainable manufacturing
- Advanced manufacturing and design
- Design for environment
- Lead-free solder in electronics manufacturing
- Material flow analysis
- Nie, L., M. Pecht, and R. Ciocci, “Regulations and Market Trends in Lead-free and Halogen-free Electronics,” Circuit World, Vol. 33, No. 2, 4-9, 2007.
- Ciocci, R. and M. Pecht, “Learning from the Migration to Lead-free Solder,” Soldering and Surface Mount Technology, Vol. 18, No. 3, 14-18, 2006.
- Ciocci, R., “Characterizing Sustainable Mechanical Engineering,” the Technology Interface, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2006, Available: http://technologyinterface.nmsu.edu/Spring06/.
- Ciocci, R. and M. Pecht, “Impact of Environmental Regulations on Green Electronics Manufacture,” Microelectronics International, Vol. 23, No. 2, 45-50, 2006.
- Ciocci, R., D. Cottrell, and P. Idowu, “Engineering Technology Graduates Keep Pace with their Engineering Colleagues to Succeed in a Master of Engineering Program,” Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 46-51, Fall 2005.
- Ciocci, R. and M. Pecht, “Questions Concerning the Migration to Lead-free Solder,” Circuit World, Vol. 30, No. 2, 34-40, 2004.
- Ciocci, R., “Handling the Migration to Lead Free,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, Vol. 24, No. 3, 536-538, September 2001.
- Ciocci, R., “Assessment of Environmental Equity: Results of an Engineering Service-Learning Project,” Projects that Matter: Concepts and Models in Service-Learning for Engineering, E. Tsang, ed., American Association for Higher Education, Washington, DC, pp. 161-166, 2000.
- Palmitoylation of the dopamine D2 receptor and its potential involvement in schizophrenia.
Elaraby, N.; Obeid, I., “Architecture Design of a Spike-Based Data Reduction Platform Processing Thousands of Recording Channels,” 41st Neural Interfaces Conference (NIC), 23-25 June 2014
Elaraby, N.; Obeid, I., “A model design of a 2560-channel neural spike detection platform,” 2012 International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing and FPGAs (ReConFig), 5-7 Dec. 2012
- Real analysis
- Functional analysis
- Operator theory
- Approximation theory
- Gal, S., Willingham, M. C. & Gottesman, M. M.: Processing and Lysosomal Localization of a Glycoprotein whose Secretion is Transformation Stimulated. (1985) Journal of Cell Biology 100: 535-‐544.
- Doherty, P. J., Hua, L., Liau, G., Gal, S., Graham, D. E., Sobel, M. E. & Gottesman, M. M.: Malignant Transformation and Tumor Promoter Treatment Increase the Levels of a Transcript for a Secreted Glycoprotein. (1985) Molecular and Cellular Biology, 5: 466-‐473.
- Gal, S. & Gottesman, M. M.: The Major Excreted Protein of Transformed Fibroblasts (MEP) is an Activable Acid-‐ Protease. (1986) Journal of Biological Chemistry, 261: 1760-‐1765.
- Gal, S. & Gottesman, M. M.: The Major Excreted Protein of Transformed Mouse Cells (MEP) and Cathepsin L Have Similar Protease Specificity. (1986) Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 139: 156-‐162.
- Troen, B. R., Gal, S. & Gottesman, M. M.: Sequence and Expression of the cDNA for MEP (major excreted protein), a Transformation-‐Regulated Secreted Cathepsin. (1987) Biochemical Journal, 246: 731-‐735.
- Mason, R. W., Gal, S. & Gottesman, M. M.: The Identification of the Major Excreted Protein (MEP) from a Transformed Mouse Fibroblast cell line as a Catalytically Active Precursor form of Cathepsin L. (1987) Biochemical Journal, 248: 449-‐454.
- Gal, S.: Replica Plating for Detection of Antigen Variants. (1987) Methods in Enzymology, 151: 704-‐712.
- Gal, S. & Gottesman, M. M.: Isolation and Sequence of a cDNA for Human pro-‐Cathepsin L. (1988) Biochemical Journal, 253: 303-‐306.
- Kane, S. E., Troen, B. R., Gal, S., Ueda, K., Pastan, I. & Gottesman, M. M.: Use of a Cloned Multidrug Resistance Gene for Co-‐Amplification and Overproduction of MEP, a Transformation-‐Regulated Secreted Acid Protease. (1988) Molecular and Cellular Biology, 8: 3316-‐3321.
- McCoy, K., Gal, S., Schwartz, R. H. & Gottesman, M. M.: An Acid Protease Secreted by Transformed Cells Interferes with Antigen Processing. (1988) Journal of Cell Biology, 106: 1879-‐1884.
- Smith, S. M., Kane, S. E., Gal, S., Mason, R. W. & Gottesman, M. M.: Glycosylation of procathepsin L does not account for species molecular weight differences and is not required for proteolytic activity. (1989) Biochemical Journal, 262: 931-‐938.
- Gal, S. & Hohn, B.: Direct Sequencing of double-‐stranded DNA PCR products via removing the complementary strand with single-‐stranded DNA of an M13 clone. (1990) Nucleic Acids Research, 18: 1076.
- Bakkeren, G., Gal, S., & Hohn, B.: Involvement of Agrobacterium tumefaciens Virulence E and C proteins in T-‐DNA transfer. (1990) Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Genetics of Industrial Microorganisms, 809-‐817.
- Gal, S., Pisan, B., Hohn, T., Grimsley, N. & Hohn, B.: Genomic Homologous Recombination in planta. (1991) European Molecular Biology Organization Journal, 10: 1571-‐1578.
- Gal, S., Pisan, B., Hohn, T., Grimsley, N. & Hohn, B.: Agroinfection of transgenic plants leads to viable cauliflower mosaic virus via intermolecular recombination, (1992) Virology, 187: 525-‐533.
- Swoboda, P., Hohn, B. & Gal, S.: Somatic homologous recombination in planta: The recombination frequency is dependent on the allelic state of recombining sequences and maybe influenced by genomic position effects. (1993) Molecular and General Genetics, 237: 33-‐40.
- Gal, S. & Raikhel, N.V.: Protein sorting in the endomembrane system of plant cells. (1993) Current Opinion in Cell Biology, 5: 636-‐640.
- Lee, H.-‐i., Gal, S., Newman, T.C. & Raikhel, N.V.: The Arabidopsis endoplasmic reticulum retention receptor functions in yeast. (1993) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA), 90: 11433-‐11437.
- Gal, S.: Sequencing of double-‐stranded PCR products. (1993) DNA Sequencing: Laboratory Protocols, Humana Press, New Jersey, 183-‐190.
- Swoboda, P., Gal, S., Hohn, B. & Puchta, H.: Intrachromosomal homologous recombination in whole plants-‐ developmental implications. (1994) EMBO Journal, 13: 484-‐489.
- Runeberg-‐Roos, P., Kervinen, J., Kovaleva, V., Raikhel, N.V. & Gal, S.: The aspartic proteinase of barley is a vacuolar enzyme that processes probarley lectin in vitro. (1994) Plant Physiology, 105: 321-‐329.
- Gal, S. & Raikhel, N.V.: A carboxy-‐terminal plant vacuolar targeting signal is not recognized by yeast. (1994) Plant Journal, 6: 235-‐240.
- Puchta, H., Swoboda, P., Gal, S., Blot, M. & Hohn, B.: Somatic intrachromosomal homologous recombination events in populations of plant siblings. (1995) Plant Molecular Biology, 28: 281-‐292.
- Bassham, D., Gal, S., da Silva Conceição, A. & Raikhel, N.V.: An Arabidopsis syntaxin homologue isolated by functional complementation of a yeast pep12 mutant. (1995) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci (USA), 92: 7262-‐7266.
- Zijlstra, C., Schaerer-‐Hernández, N., Gal, S. & Hohn, T.: Arabidopsis thaliana expressing the cauliflower mosaic virus ORF VI transgene has a late flowering phenotype. (1996) Virus Genes, 13: 5-‐17.
- Gal, S.: Sequencing of double-‐stranded PCR products. (1996) Molecular Biotechnology, 5:159-‐164.
- D'Hondt, K., Stack, S., Gutteridge, S., Vandekerckhove, J., Krebbers, E. & Gal, S.: Aspartic proteinase genes in the Brassicaceae Arabidopsis thaliana and Brassica napus. (1997) Plant Molecular Biology, 33: 187-‐192.
- Menges, D., Ternullo, D.*, Tan-‐Wilson, A.L. & Gal, S.: Continuous assay of proteases using a microtiter plate fluorescence reader. (1997) Analytical Biochemistry, 254: 144-‐147.
- Mutlu, A., Pfeil, J.E. & Gal, S.: A probarley lectin processing enzyme purified from Arabidopsis thaliana seeds. (1998)Phytochemistry, 47: 1453-‐1459.
- Gal, S.: The secretory system and machinery for protein targeting. (1998) In Arabidopsis, M Anderson and JA Roberts, editors, Sheffield Academic Press, Sheffield, England, pp.151-‐180.
- Mutlu, A. & Gal, S.: Plant aspartic proteinases: Enzymes on the road to a function. (1999) Physiologia Plantarum, 105: 569-‐576.
- Mutlu, A., Chen, X., Reddy, S. & Gal, S.: The aspartic proteinase of Arabidopsis thaliana is expressed in seeds and localized in the protein bodies. (1999) Seed Science Research,9: 75-‐84.
- Head, T., Yamamura, M. & Gal, S.: Aqueous computation: Writing on molecules. (1999) Proceedings of the 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 2: 1006-‐1010.
- Sargent, A. , Loi, T.*, Gal, S. & Sadik, O.A.: The electrochemistry of antibody-‐modified conducting polymer electrodes. (1999) Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 470: 144-‐156.
- Amidon, W.L., Pfeil, J.E. & Gal, S.: Modification of luciferase to be a plant aspartic proteinase substrate. (1999) Biochemical Journal, 343: 425-‐433.
- Gal, S. & Klein, J.W.: A case for college molecular biology classes: A Right to her Genes. (2000) Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 28: 267-‐271.
- Yamamura, M., Head, T. & Gal, S.: Aqueous Computing -‐ Mathematical Principle of Molecular Memory and its Biomolecular Implementation. (2000) In Genetic Altorithms 4, H. Kitano editor, Sangyo Tosho Publishers, Inc., Tokyo, Japan, pp. 49-‐73 (in Japanese).
- Head, T. & Gal, S.: Aqueous Computing: Writing into Fluid Memory (2001) European Association for Theoretical Computer Science Bulletin. 75: 190-‐198.
- Head, T., Chen, X., Nichols, M.J., Yamamura, M., & Gal, S.: Aqueous solutions of algorithmic problems: emphasizing knights on a 3X3. (2002) In DNA computing. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N. Jonoska and N.C. Seeman, Eds, Springer Verlag publishers, Berlin, pp. 191-‐202.
- Head, T., Chen, X., Yamamura, M. & Gal, S.: Aqueous Computing: a Survey with an Invitation to Participate (2002) Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 17: 672-‐681.
- Chen, X., Pfeil, J.E. & Gal, S.: The three typical aspartic proteinases of Arabidopsis are differentially expressed (2002) European Journal of Biochemistry, 269: 4675-‐ 4684.
- Payie, K.G., Tanaka, T., Gal, S. & Yada, R.Y.: Construction, expression and characterization of a chimaeric mammalian-‐plant aspartic proteinase (2003) Biochemical Journal, 372: 671-‐678.
- Head, T. & Gal, S.: Aqueous Computing: Writing into Fluid Memory (2004) Current Trends in Theoretical Computer Science. Algorithms and Complexity. Volume 1. , G. Paun, G. Rozenberg, and A. Salomaa, Eds, World Scientific, Singapore, 49-‐503.
- Faro, C.J. & Gal, S.: The aspartic proteinase gene content of the Arabidopsis genome (2005) Current Protein and Peptide Science, 6: 493-‐500.
- Head, T., & Gal, S.: Aqueous computing: Writing on molecules dissolved in water (2006) In Nanotechnology: Science and Computation, J. Chen and N. Jonoska, Eds., Springer-‐Verlag publishers, Berlin, pp. 321-‐334..
- Gal, S., Cook, J.R., & Howells, L.: Scintillation proximity assay (SPA) for DNA binding by human p53 (2006) BioTechniques 41: 303-‐308 (also in About Authors, p. 293).
- Dimitrova, N., & Gal, S.: MethyLogic: Implementation of Boolean Logic using DNA Methylation (2006) Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4287: 404-‐417.
- Gal, S., Monteith, N., Shkalim, S.*, Huang, H.* & Head, T.: Methylation of DNA may be useful as a computational tool: Experimental evidence (2007) Current Developments in Mathematical Biology, Ed. by K. Mahdavi, R. Culshaw & J. Boucher, Series in Knots and Everything Vol. 38, World Scientific, Hackensack, NJ, pp. 1-‐14.
- Pagano, A. & Gal, S.: An approach for using modified nucleotides in aqueous DNA computing. (2008) Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4848:161-‐169.
- Lim, I-‐I S., Wang, L., Chandrachud, U., Gal, S., & Zhong, C.J.: Assembly-‐Disassembly of DNA-‐Au Nanoparticles: A Strategy of Intervention. (2008) Research Letters in Nanotechnology, published on-‐line, Article ID 527294, 4 pages.
- Pagano, A.M., Pishanider, S.D.* & Gal, S. Incorporation and use of modified nucleotides in aqueous DNA computing (2008) Natural Computing, 7: 423-‐438..
- Lim, I-‐I S., Wang, L., Chandrachud, U., Gal, S., & Zhong, C.J.: Assembly-‐Disassembly of DNA-‐Au Nanoparticles: A strategy of intervention based on oligonucleotides and restriction enzymes (2008) Analytical Chemistry 80: 6038-‐6044.
- Gal, S., Monteith, N. & Macula, A.J.: Successful preparation and analysis of a 5-‐site 2-‐variable DNA library (2009) Natural Computing, 8:333-‐347.
- Macula, A.J., Gal, S., Andam, C., Bishop, M.A, & Renz, T.E. PCR nonadaptive group testing of DNA libraries for biomolecular computing and taggant applications. (2009) Discrete Mathematics Algorithms and Applications 1: 59-‐69.
- Chandrachud, U. & Gal, S.: Three DNA binding assays show differences in the interaction of wild-‐type and mutant p53 proteins from human cell lines with unique gene sequences, (2009) Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment 8: 445-‐454.
- Brennan, D., Cavagnetto, A., Gal, S., Jones, W., McGrann, R., O’Brien, R.: Go Green – Using sustainability Engineering in a Middle School Summer Program. (2010) Proceedings of the 2010 ASEE Annual Conference and Exhibition, Louisville, KY, 20-‐23 June 2010.
- Banerjee, A., Panosian, T.*, Mukherjee, K., Ravindra, R. Gal, S., Sackett, D.L., & Bane, S.E.: Site specific orthogonal labeling of the carboxy terminus of a-‐tubulin, (2010) ACS Chemical Biology 5: 715-‐798 (cover photo).
- Oberlander, S.*, Xie, T., Chandrachud, U. & Gal, S.: Scintillation proximity assay (SPA) for total p53 protein as an alternative to ELISA. (2010) Journal of Immunological Methods 360: 173-‐7.
- Andam, C., Driscoll, J.R.*, DiCesare, J.A., Enke, T.N., Macula, A.J., & Gal, S.: Comparison of different methods to analyze a DNA computing library using the polymerase chain reaction, (2012) Natural Computing, 11: 339-‐349.
- Ray, D., Balmer, M. & Gal, S.: The functionality of p53 in thyroid cancer, (2012) In Updates in the Understanding and Management of Thyroid Cancer, Fahey, T.J. [Ed], Intech Publishers, Rijeka, Croatia, pp. 33-‐52.
- Ray, D., Murphy, K.R.* & Gal, S.: The DNA binding and accumulation of p53 from breast cancer cell lines and the link with the serine 15 phosphorylation, (2012) Cancer Biology and Therapy, 13: 848-‐857.
- Merzouki, A., Buschmann, M.D., Jean, M., Young, R.S., Liao, S.*, Gal, S., Li, Z. & Slilaty, S.N., Adva-‐27a, A Novel Podophyllotoxin Derivative Found To Be Effective Against Multidrug Resistant Human Cancer Cells (2012) Anticancer Research, 32: 4423-‐4432.
- Crew, E., Yan, H., Lin, L., Yin, J., Skeete, Z., Kotlyar, T., Tchah, N., Lee, J., Bellavia, M., Goodshaw, I., Joseph, P., Luo, J., Gal, S. & Zhong, C-‐J.: DNA assembly and enzymatic cutting in solutions: a gold nanoparticle based SERS detection strategy (2013) Analyst 138: 4941-‐4949.
- Balmer, M.T., Katz, R.D., Liao, S.*, Goodwine, J.S.*, & Gal, S.: Doxorubicin and 5-‐fluorouracil induced accumulation and transcriptional activity of p53 are independent of phosphorylation at serine 15 in MCF-‐7 breast cancer cells (2014) Cancer Biology and Therapy, 15: 1000-‐1012.
Book and Meeting Reviews
- Gal, S. (1996) of book entitled Plant growth and development: A molecular approach, author D.E. Fosket, published in Quarterly Review of Biology 71: 412-‐413.
- Gal, S. & Head, T.: (2001) Report on the 7th International Workshop on DNA Based Computers, European Association for Theoretical Computer Science Bulletin. 75:: 237-‐238.
Education Publications on the Web
- Gal, S. Klein, J.E.: “A right to her genes” (2000) peer reviewed case study for the University of Buffalo web site on case studies in Science.
- Morris, T.E. and Gal, S.: ”A recipe for invention: Scientist biographies” (2003) peer reviewed case study for the University of Buffalo web site on case studies in Science.
External Grant Support
|01/17/11 - 01/16/14||
Principle Investigator (PI)
“Development of Adva-‐27a through phase I clinical trials for breast and prostate cancer”; ($58,000)
|08/19/11 - 08/18/13||
The Bella Fund
“Analysis of the functional status of the p53 tumor suppressor and correlation with response to treatment”; ($7500)
|04/01/10 - 03/31/12||
NIH R15 program
Co-‐PI, Susan Bane (Dept of Chemistry) PI
“Tubulin Tyrosine Ligase: Target and Tool”; ($300,000) (Biology 50%)
|03/01/10 - 10/15/10||
Chemung-‐Schulyer-‐Steuben Workforce New York (CSSWFNY)
Co-‐PI, Wayne Jones (Dept of Chemistry) PI
“Broome Tioga Go Green Institute Technical Proposal”; ($39,255)
|09/01/08 - 08/31/10||
UNYCHRQ and UNYTRN Pilot Research Collaboratives Program
PI, sub-‐contract Gokul Das, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
“Determining the effect of estrogen receptor on binding of tumor suppressor p53 to target gene promoters” ($59,957 Binghamton share $41,957)
|01/01/10 - 06/01/10||
NSF SBIR Phase I grant submitted through JEANSEE Corp.
“Covert Combinatorial DNA Taggants for Authentication, Tracking and Trace-‐Back”; consultant on project activities
|10/31/08 - 11/02/08||
Funds to support a conference titled “Biomathematical computing conference: past, present and prospects”; SUNY Conversations in the Discipline ($5000) and US Army conference funds ($5612)
|11/17/05 - 08/07/08||
Air Force Research Laboratory
Subcontract through SUNY-‐Geneseo, Anthony Macula PI
“A Two-‐Dimensional DNA Matrix Based Biomolecular Computing and Memory Architecture” (subcontract $120,000)
|05/01/08 - 10/31/08||
New York State Department of Education
co-‐PI; Wayne Jones PI
“Excelsior Scholars-‐ Go Green Institute” ($71,537)
|09/30/06 - 03/29/08||
Federal appropriations grant from DOE sub-‐contract through SUNY-‐IT
“New technologies to measure human cancer proteins (subcontract $60.000)
|07/01/04 - 06/30/07||
National Institutes of Health-‐ R15 Program
“New developments for diagnostic assays of p53 DNA binding activity” ($225,500)
|02/01/04 - 01/31/07||
NSF –CNRS international program
Nadine Paris, French collaborator
“US-‐France cooperative research: Biosensors of protease activity and endomembrane traffic in plants” ($20,659)
|03/01/05 - 05/15/06||
Air Force Research Laboratory
Subcontract through SUNY-‐Geneseo, Anthony Macula PI
“Network analysis and knowledge discovery through DNA computing” (subcontract $63,310)
|01/01/06 - 06/30/06||
Philips Research Laboratory
“Graduate student funding for molecular biology course” ($13,575)
|07/01/03 - 06/30/06||
NSF-‐ Major Research Instrumentation grant
Co-‐PI, Dennis McGee, PI
“Acquisition of a Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope for Multidisciplinary Research and Training” ($288,346)
|08/01/04 - 04/30/05||
Army STIR program
Co-‐PI, Tom Head, PI,
“Testing DNA methylation for DNA computing” ($38,515)
|10/01/05 - 12/30/05||
Philips Research laboratory
“Molecular biology course expenses” ($3411)
|11/15/01 - 12/14/03||
US Department of Agriculture-‐ Research Career Enhancement Award
“Substrates for in vivo analysis of plant proteases” ($72,941)
|12/01/01 - 02/28/02||
Council for International Exchange of Scholars -‐ Fulbright Scholars Program
“Expression of the cardoon aspartic proteinase in Arabidopsis” ($10,500)
|07/01/95 - 06/30/01||
NSF Career Program
“The role of protease activities in Arabidopsis thaliana plants ($449,770)
|09/01/97 - 04/30/01||
NSF/ Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
Co-‐PI, Tom Head, PI,
“Prototyping Biomolecular Computations” ($150,000)
|05/01/99 - 11/30/00||
Amersham Pharmacia Biotech
“Developing a p53 DNA binding SPA” ($17,000)
|11/01/96 - 10/31/98||
US Department of Agriculture-‐ Plant Growth and Development
“The role of aspartic proteases in processing propeptides in plants” ($87,366)
|06/01/96 - 05/31/98||
NSF-‐ Instructional and Laboratory Improvement
“Bringing DNA sequencing technology to undergraduate laboratories” ($28,225)
- Information Systems
- Vehicle Systems Safety
- Gray, R., "Introduction to systems engineering for engineering and engineering technology students," World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 159–162, 2004.
- Gray, R, "Collaborating with industry to enhance an engineering technology curriculum," Ethos (http://pennstatebehrend.psu.edu/academic/lrc/ethos/, peer reviewed, eds. Ruth Pflueger and Steve Ferruci), 2003
- Gray, R., "For GETS, A pipeline of talent," Railway Age, vol. 203, pp. 71–73, 2002.
- Gray, R. [Principal Investigator], Hemminger, T., and Fisher, K., Pennsylvania Transportation Institute/Center for Navigation, Communication, and Information Systems (PTI/CNCIS), Great Lakes Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (C4I) Systems Testing, Center for eBusiness and Advanced IT (eBizITPA), 2004-2006
- Gray, R. [Co-Principal Investigator], with Sweeney, S., and Fedder, G. (Carnegie Mellon University), Feasibility of Using Micro-Electro-Mechanical System (MEMs) Sensors in a Rail Locomotive Environment, Pennsylvania Infrastructure Technology Alliance (PITA), February-December 2004
- Gray, R. [Principal Investigator], Wireless Technology for Rail, Ben Franklin/General Electric Rail, Pennsylvania Transportation Institute/Center for Navigation, Communication, and Information Systems (PTI/CNCIS), 2003-2004.
- Analysis of electrical power systems,
- Power system control (adaptive, fuzzy, ANN)
- Modeling of electric machine systems
- Computer modeling and simulation of electric power systems
- Digital learning games
- Adaptive control of electrical machine systems
- Engineering laboratory systems, Smart Grid Test-beds
- Induction Motor signature analysis
- Battery storage SOC/SOH
- Idowu, P., Okoh, K., Huynh, C., Kang, K., Bonsall, S., (2014). “Development of a power systems protection laboratory through university-industry partnership,” International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education (IJEEE). V51. [In print].
- Omer, M., Idowu, P. (2011), “A platform-independent learning tool for power system analysis concepts,” International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education (IJEEE). v48, n 4, p 423-433, Oct. 2011.
- Idowu, P., Atiyeh, J., Schmitt, E., Morales, A. W. (2010). “A MATLAB tool for introducing basics of induction motor current signature (IMCS) analysis,” International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education (IJEEE), v 47, n 1, p 1-10, Jan. 2010.
- Schmitt, E., Idowu, P., Morales, A. W., (2010). "Applications of Wavelets in Induction Machine Fault Detection," Ingeniare. Chilean Journal of Engineering. Universidad de Tarapacá, 18(2), 2010.
- Idowu, P., Root, C., (2010). “Real-Time Motor Current Signature Analysis Tool for Undergraduate Laboratory,” Computer Applications in Engineering Education, v 18, n 4, p 634-9, Dec. 2010.
- Idowu, P., Omer, M., (2009). “Visualization aids for power system computations,” Computers in Education Journal, v 19, n 2, p 72-80, 2009.
- Ciocci, R. C., Cottrell, D., Idowu, P. (2005). “Engineering Technology Graduates Keep Pace with Their Engineering Colleagues to Succeed in a Master of Engineering Program,” ASEE - Journal of Engineering Technology, v 22(2). p 46-51.
- Idowu, P. (2004). “In search of a perfect power engineering program,” IEEE Transactions on Education, v 47, n 3, p 410-414, 2004.
- Idowu, P. (1999). “Robust neural net-based inverse-model identification of an induction motor,” Electric Machines and Power Systems, v 27, n 5, p 513-525, 1999.
- Idowu, P. (1999). “An Intelligent Data-Acquisition and Control (IDAC) system for energy conversion laboratory,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, v 14, n 2, p 391-396, 1999.
- Idowu, P. (1997). “Fuzzy-polar controller for wind-turbine synchronous generator.” Electric Machines and Power Systems, v 25, n 6, p 677-691, 1997.
- Idowu, P., Ghandakly, A. (1996). “A Discrete-time coordinated adaptive stabilizer for multimachine power systems,” International Journal of Systems Science, v 27, n 7, p 597-604, 1996.
- Idowu, P. (1996). “Fuzzy Speed Regulation of a Wind-Turbine DC Generator,” Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, v 2(1). p 27-36, 1996.
- Idowu, P., Ghandakly, A. (1994). “A Decentralized MRAC-based PSS for multimachine power systems,” Electric Machines and Power Systems, v 22, n 3, p 423-438, 1994.
- Ghandakly, A., Idowu, P. (1990). “Design of a model reference adaptive stabilizer for the exciter and governor loops of power generators,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, v 5, n 3, p 887-893, 1990.
- Ghandakly, A., Idowu, P. (1989). “Design of a robust linear optimal regulator for synchronous generator excitation control,” Electric Machines and Power Systems, v 16, n 5, p 319-330, 1989.
Traditional Methods and X-ray Micro-Computed-Tomography (μCT) for research on
- Geo-environmental issues
- Soil erosion
- Sustainability of Infrastructure
- Pedagogical research for enhancing civil engineering education
- 2015-2016: EAGER: Role of Deicing Salts in Stormwater Filter Media Deterioration: X-ray Micro Computed Tomography (µCT), National Science Foundation, Environmental Engineering program, $99,548, Role: PI (sole)
- 2015-2016: Investigating the Evolution of Soil Pore Structure Using Micro Computed Tomography (μCT), Penn State Harrisburg Research Council, $7,500, Role: PI (sole)
- 2011-2012: Effects of Deicing Salts on Structure of Filter Media and Infiltration of Stormwater, Penn State Harrisburg Research Council, $7,500, Role: PI
- 2008-2010: Evaluation of pollution levels due to the use of consumer fertilizers under Florida conditions, Florida Department of Transportation, $150,000, Role: Co-PI
- 2003-2006: Expansive soils and dispersive soils, Central Soil & Materials Research Station, Government of India, salary and other support, Role: Geotechnical Engineer
- 2003-2006: Improvement of filter design criteria, Central Soil & Materials Research Station, Government of India, salary and other support, Role: Geotechnical Engineer
- 2003-2004: Exploration of methods for preventing land subsidence associated with metro railway tunneling, American Society of Civil Engineers, $2,000, Role: PI (sole)
- 2000-2003: Development of Soil Filter Design Nomograms Incorporating Physicochemical and Biological Mechanisms, National Science Foundation, $357,936, Role: Ph. D. student
- 1996-2000: Improvement of filter design criteria, Central Soil & Materials Research Station, Government of India, salary and other support, Role: Geotechnical Engineer
- 1995-1996: Stress-path dependent behavior of soils, Central Soil & Materials Research Station, Government of India, salary and other support, Role: Geotechnical Engineer
- Sai P. Kakuturu, and Shirley E. Clark (2015), "Effect of deicing salts on clogging of stormwater filter media and on media chemistry", ASCE Journal of Environmental Engg., published online in Feb.’15 (to print later), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000927.
- Sai P. Kakuturu, and Shirley E. Clark (2015), "Clogging Mechanism of Stormwater Filter Media by NaCl as a Deicing Salt", Environmental Engineering Science, 32(2): 141-152.
- Sai P. Kakuturu, Manoj B. Chopra, Mike Hardin, and Martin P. Wanielista (2013), “Total Nitrogen Losses from Fertilized Turfs on Simulated Highway Slopes in Florida”, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, 139(6): 829-837.
- Sai P. Kakuturu, Manoj B. Chopra, Mike Hardin, and Martin P. Wanielista (2013), “Runoff Curve Numbers for Simulated Highway Slopes under Different Slope, Soil-Turf, and Rainfall Conditions”, ASCE Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 18 (3): 299-306.
- Manoj B. Chopra, Sai P. Kakuturu, Craig Ballock, Josh Spence, and Martin P. Wanielista, (2010), “Determination of infiltration rates and the effect of rejuvenation methods for pervious concrete pavements”, ASCE Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 15(6): 426-433.
- Sai P. Kakuturu and Lakshmi N. Reddi (2006), ”Evaluation of the parameters influencing self-healing in earth dams”, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 132(7): 879-889.
- Sai P. Kakuturu and Lakshmi N. Reddi (2006), ”Mechanistic model for self-healing of core cracks in earth dams”, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 132(7): 890-901.
- Lakshmi N. Reddi, and Sai P. Kakuturu (2004), "Self-healing of concentrated leaks at core-filter interfaces in earth dams", ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, 27(1), pp. 89-98.
- Sai Kakuturu and Shirley E. Clark (2012), “Deicing salts’ effects on engineered soils in stormwater management systems”. 85th Annual Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC), New Orleans, LA.
- Sai Kakuturu and Shirley E. Clark (2012), “Deicing salts’ effects on engineering bioretention soils”. Water Environment Federation Stormwater Symposium 2012, Baltimore, MD.
- Sai Kakuturu and Shirley E. Clark (2012), "Impacts of deicing salts on soil structure and infiltration rate". World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2012: Crossing Boundaries, Proceedings of the 2012 Congress, p 411-414.
- Sai P. Kakuturu, and Shirley E. Clark (2011), “Effects of deicing salts on the structure of and infiltration rate through bio-filtration soils”. Philadelphia Low Impact Development Symposium (Greening the Urban Environment), Philadelphia, September 25-28.
- Samar Younes, Lakshmi Reddi, and Sai Kakuturu (2010), “Effects of earth dam cracks in the presence of alternative materials: A numerical approach,” ASCE-EWRI's India 2010 - An International Perspective on Current & Future State of Water Resources & the Environment, January 2010, Chennai, India.
- Sai P. Kakuturu, Ming Xiao, and Lakshmi N. Reddi (2009), “Engineered waste materials as amendments to prevent erosion and to stabilize contaminated sites,” World Environmental & Water Resources Congress, Kansas City, Missouri, May 17-21, 2009.
- Sai P. Kakuturu, and Chitra, R. (2005), “Shrinkage Characteristics of Some Artificially Blended Clay Liner Materials,” Proc. of National Conf. on Geotechnics in Environmental Protection, National Institute of Tech., Allahabad, India, Apr. 9, ‘05, pp. VII-19 to VII-22.
- Sai P. Kakuturu and Lakshmi N. Reddi (2003), “Application of Mechanistic Models for Filter Design,” Proc. of 12th Asian Regional Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering held at National University of Singapore, Singapore, Aug. 4-8, ‘03, pp. 1-4.
- Sai P. Kakuturu and Lakshmi N. Reddi (2003), “Importance of Pore Space Modeling in Mechanistic Understanding of Filtration through Porous Media,” 12th Pan-American Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Geotech. Engg., MIT, U.S.A., June 22-25, 2003, pp. 1509-1514.
- Sai P. Kakuturu (2001), “Mechanistic Understanding of Concentrated Leaks in Earth Dams," Proc. 49th Annual Geotechnical Engineering Conf., Univ. of Minnesota, U.S.A., Feb. 16, 2001, pp. 73-79. (Young Engineer Paper Award by the Minnesota Geotechnical Society).
- Venkatachalam, K., Chitra, R., Bera, D. N., and Sai P. Kakuturu (2000), “Dispersive Soils at New Ottu Barrage Project - A Case Study,” Indian Geotechnical Conference, pp. 415-416.
- Venkatachalam, K., Chitra, R., Sai Prasad, K., and Ashok Kumar (2000), “Assessing the Suitability of Filter Materials,” Proceedings of the GEOFILTERS 2000 held at Warsaw, Poland, June 5-7, 2000, pp. 197-200.
- Sai P. Kakuturu (1999), “Suitability of Filters and Drains in Ash Pond Dams,” Proceedings of the Fly Ash Disposal and Deposition: Beyond 2000 A.D., Indian Institute of Tech., Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India, during Feb. 4-5, 1999, pp. 108-117.
ExCEEd 2009 Fellowship, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virginia ($2,075)
Trent Dames and William Moore Fellowship, 2002, ASCE, Reston, Virginia ($2,000)
Outstanding Ph.D. Graduate Award, 2001, Civil Engineering, Kansas State University, KS
Young Engineer Paper Award, 2001, Minnesota Geotechnical Society ($300 + travel cost)
ASCE Geo-Institute Technical Committee on Geotechnics of Soil ErosionASCE Geo-Institute Technical Committee on Embankments, Dams, and Slopes
American Society of Civil Engineers
Indian Institution of Engineers (India)
Indian Geotechnical Society, Delhi chapter
United States Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research
- Power System Dynamics
- Renewable Energy Integration
- Microgrid Control/Modeling
- Power Electronics
He was actively involved in different projects including:
- microgrid operation
- renewable energy integration
- PMU data estimation
Collaborated with companies such as:
- Duke Energy
- J. Khazaei, L. Fan, W. Jiang, D. Manjure, "Distributed Prony Analysis on Real-World PMUData", Published in Electric Power Systems Research, Elsevier, (2015).
- J. Khazaei, Z. Miao, L. Piyasinghe, L. Fan, "Impedance MIMO analysis of power synchronization control in weak ac grids", To appear in IEEE Transaction on Power Systems, (2016).
- J. Khazaei, Z. Miao, L. Fan, "Adaptive SOC based droop control design for battery energy storage systems", submitted to IEEE Transaction on Power Systems, (2016).
- J. Khazaei, Z. Miao, L. Piyasinghe, L. Fan, "Minimizing DC system loss in multi-terminal HVDC systems through adaptive droop control", Electric Power Systems Research, (2015).
- J. Khazaei, Z. Miao, L. Piyasinghe, L. Fan, "Real-time digital simulation-based modeling of asingle-phase single-stage PV system", Electric Power Systems Research, (2015).
- L. Piyasinghe, Z. Miao, J. Khazaei, L. Fan, "Impedance Model-Based SSR Analysis for TCSCCompensated Type-3 Wind Energy Delivery Systems", IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, (2015).
- Z. Miao, L. Piyasinghe, J. Khazaei, L. Fan, "Dynamic Phasor-Based Modeling of Unbalanced Radial Distribution Systems", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, (2015).
- M. Mokhtari, J. Khazaei, M. Khalilian, D. Nazarpour, "Sub-Synchronous Resonance damping via Doubly Fed Induction Generator", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, (2013).
- J. Khazaei, M. Mokhtari, M. Khalilian, D. Nazarpour, "Sub-Synchronous Resonance damping using Distributed Static Series Compensator (DSSC) enhanced with fuzzy logic controller", International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems., (2012).
- J. Khazaei, M. Mokhtari, S. Badkubi, M. Khalilian, D. Nazarpour, "Sub-synchronous resonance mitigation via distributed power flow controller", International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, (2012).
- Billy GB, Lemieux SK, Chow MX, Changes in Lumbar Disk Morphology Associated With Prolonged Sitting Assessed by Magnetic Resonance Imaging. PM&R, Pub. Online. Mar 2,2014.
- Harris KA, West SG, Vanden Heuvel JP, Jonnalagadda SS, Ross AB, Hill AM, Grieger JA, Lemieux SK, Kris-Etherton PM. Amer J Clin. Nutr. In Press 2014.
- Schreurs BG, Smith-Bell CA, Lemieux SK.Dietary Cholesterol Increases Ventricular Volume and Narrows Cerebrovascular Diameter in a Rabbit Model of Alzheimer's Disease. Neuroscience. 2013 Sep (13) 786
- Deci S, Lemieux SK, Smith-Bell CA, Sparks DL, Schreurs BG. Cholesterol Increases Ventricular Volume in a Rabbit Model of Alzheimer's Disease.J Alzheimers Dis. Mar 2012.
- Susan K. Lemieux, Carrie A. Smith-Bell, Jered R. Wells, Nnadozie M. Ezerioha, Jeffrey S. Carpenter, D. Laryy Sparks, Bernard G. Schreurs. Neurovascular changes measured by time-of-flight MR angiography in cholesterol-fed rabbits with cortical amyloid beta-peptide accumulation. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2010 Aug;32(2):306-14.
- Julie Brefczynski-Lewis, Svenja Lowitszch, Michael Parsons, Susan Lemieux, and Aina Puce. Audiovisual Non-Verbal Dynamic Faces Elicit Converging fMRI and ERP Responses, Brain Topography (2009) May;21(3-4):193-206.
- Abraham, J., Haut, M. W., Moran, M. T., Filburn, S., Lemieux, S., & Kuwabara, H. (2008) Adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: Effects on cerebral white matter seen in diffusion tensor imaging. Clinical Breast Cancer, 8, 88-91.
- Takaharu Shonai, MD, PhD, Jeffrey S. Carpenter, MD, Susan K. Lemieux, PhD, Kuniaki Harada, RT, PhD, Kazumi Omori, MD, Nobuaki Kaneko, MD, and Takanori Fukushima, MD, DMSc. Improvement of Vessel Visibility in TOF MR Angiography of the Brain. Accepted for publication in J. Magn.Res.Imag. (2007).
- L.D.Sparks, S.K.Lemieux, M.W. Haut, L.C. Baxter, S.C. Johnson, J.E. Lopez, M.N. Sabbagh, D.J.Conner DJ. Hippocampal volume change in the Alzheimer’s disease cholesterol-lowering treatment (ADCLT) trial. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, Mar. 2008 75: S87
- S.S. Velan, S. Ramamurthy, S. Ainala, C. Durst, S.K. Lemieux, R.R. Raylman, R.G.Spencer, M.A. Thomas MA. Implementation and validation of localized constant-time correlated spectroscopy (LCT-COSY) on a clinical 3T MRI scanner for investigation of muscle metabolism. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2007 Aug;26(2):410-7.
- R. R. Raylman, S. Majewski, S. K. Lemieux, S. Sendhil Velan, B. Kross,V. Popov, M. F. Smith, A. G. Weisenberger and C. Zorn. (2006). Simultaneous Acquisition of Magnetic Resonance Spectrosocpy (MRS) Data and Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Images, J Magn Reson. 2007 Jun;186(2):305-10. Epub 2007 Mar 24.21.
- S. Sendhil Velan, Christopher Durst, Susan K. Lemieux, Raymond R. Raylman, Rajagopalan Sridhar, Richard G. Spencer, Gerald R. Hobbs, M. Albert Thomas. (2006) Investigation of Muscle Lipid Metabolism by Localized One- and Two- Dimensional MRS Techniques using a Clinical 3T MRI / MRS Scanner. J. Magn. Res. Imag. 2007 Aug;26(2):410-7.
- S. Sendhil Velan, Susan K. Lemieux, Raymond R. Raylman, Warren Boling, Gerald R. Hobbs, Rajagopalan Sridhar, Periannan Kuppusamy, M. Albert Thomas. (2006) Detection of Cerebral Metabolites by Localized PRESS and L-COSY Techniques at 3T. J Magn. Res. Imag. 2007 Aug;26(2):405-9.
- R. R. Raylman, S. Majewski, S. K. Lemieux, S. Sendhil Velan, B Kross, V. Popov, M. F. Smith, A. G. Weisenberger and C. Zorn. (2006) Simultaneous MRI and PET Imaging of a Rat Brain. Phys Med Biol 51:6371-6379.
- R.R. Raylman, S. Majewski, B. Kross, Susan K. Lemieux, S.S. Velan, V. Popov, J. Proffitt, M.F. Smith, A.G. Weisenberger, R. Wojcik, Initial Tests of a Prototype MRI-Compatible PET Imager, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section A, 2006;569(2):306-309.
- J.D. Mendola, I. P. Conner, S. Sharma, S.K. Lemieux. fMRI measures of perceptual filling-in in human visual cortex. J Cogn. Neurosci. 18:363-375 (2006).
- M.W. Parsons, M.W. Haut, S.K. Lemieux, M.T. Moran, S.G. Leach. Anterior medial temporal lobe activation during encoding of words: FMRI methods to optimize sensitivity. Brain Cogn 60: 253-261 (2006).
- L. Shuster, S.K. Lemieux. An fMRI study of the production of mono- vs. multisyllabic words. Brain and Language 93:20-21.
- I. Conner, S. Sharma, S.K.Lemieux, J.D. Mendola. Retinopic Organization in Children Measured with fMRI. Journal of Vision 4: 509-523.
- D.S. Woodruff-Pak, R. W. Vogel III, M. Ewers, J. Coffey, O. B. Boyko, S.K. Lemieux. MRI-Assessed Volume of Cerebellum Correlates with Associative Learning. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory. Neurobiol Learn Mem 76(3): 342-57 2001.
- A.A. Patel, E. T. Gawlinski, S. K. Lemieux, R. A. Gatenby. A Cellular Automaton Model of the Effects of pH and Glucose Distributions on Early Tumor Growth and Invasion. J. Theor. Biol. Sept.2001, 213:315-331.
- Guenther Boden, Brett Lebed, Melanie Schatz, Carol Homko, and Susan Lemieux. Effects of Acute Changes of Plasma Free Fatty Acids on Intramyocellular Fat Content and Insulin Resistance in Healthy Subjects, Diabetes July 2001 50: 1612-1617.
- D.S. Woodruff-Pak, G. Goldenberg, M. M. Downey-Lamb, O. B. Boyko, S.K. Lemieux. Cerebellar Volume in Humans Related to Magnitude of Classical Conditioning. Neuroreport 11:609-615,Feb. 2000.
- Urbain JL, Vekemans MC, Lemieux SK, Cosenza SC, Senadhi VK, Milestone BN, Reddy EP. Nuclear oncology and the Imagene concept. Acta Radiol Suppl. 1997;412:21-8.
- S.K. Lemieux and G.H. Glover, An Infrared Device for Monitoring The Respiration Of Small Rodents During Magnetic Resonance Imaging, JMRI 1996 6:561-564.
- G.H. Glover, S.K. Lemieux, and M. Drangova, “Decomposition of Inflow and BOLD Effects with Dual-echo Spiral GRE fMRI, Mag.Res.Med. 1996, 35:299-308.
- SK Lemieux, King Li, Martin Hyperoxia MRI of Rabbit V2 Carcinoma. Proc.ISMRM Cancer Wksh, 1995.
- T.B. Clegg, H.J. Karwowski, S.K. Lemieux, R.W.Sayer, W.M. Hooke, H.W. Lewis, A.W. Lovette, H.J. Pfitzner, K.A. Sweeton, & W.S.Wilburn, "A New Atomic-beam Polarized Ion Source for the Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory: Overview, Operating Experience and Performance", Nucl. Instr. Meth. August 1994.
- S.K. Lemieux, T.B. Clegg, H.J. Karwowski, W.J. Thompson, and E.R. Crosson, A Spin-filter Polarimeter for Low-energy Hydrogen and Deuterium Ion Beams. Nucl. Instr. & Meth. in Physics Research, Section A (Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Sept. 1993 vol.333, no.2-3, p. 434-42.
- E.R. Crosson, S.K. Lemieux, E.J. Ludwig, W.J. Thompson, M. Bisenberger, G. Graw, R. Hertenberger, D. Hofer, H. Kader, P. Schiemenz, A.M. Eiro, and F.D. Santos, Probing Alpha-particle Wave Functions Using (d,a) Reactions. Phys. Rev. C, (Nuclear Physics), June 1993 vol.47, no.6, p. 2690-8.
- E.R. Crosson, R.K. Das, S.K. Lemieux, E.J. Ludwig, W.J. Thompson, M. Bisenberger, G. Graw, R. Hertenberger, D. Hofer, H. Kader, P. Schiemenz, A.M. Eiro, and F.D. Santos, Probing Alpha-particle Wave Functions by (d,a) Tensor Analyzing Powers. Phys. Rev. C (Nuclear Physics) Feb. 1992 vol.45, no.2, p. R492-5.
- E.R.Crosson, T.B. Clegg, H.J. Karwowski, and S.K. Lemieux, Optimization of the Performance of R.F. Transitions for the TUNL Atomic Beam Ion Source. Nucl. Instr. and Meth., vol. A310, 703-705, 1991.
- S.W. Yates, S.K.Riley(Lemieux), E.W. Kleppinger. Low-lying Collective Properties of 168-Er, 170-Er Identified in the (n, n’G) reaction. Bull. Am.Phys.Soc.28 (7) p982.(1983).
- S.K. Lemieux. & D.S. Woodruff-Pak. Functional magnetic resonance imaging studies of eyeblink classical conditioning. . In D. S. Woodruff-Pak & J. E. Steinmetz (Eds.), Eyeblink classical conditioning: Vol. I:71-93, Applications in humans. Amsterdam: Kluwer, 2000.
- Woodruff-Pak, D. S. & Lemieux, S. K. The cerebellum and associative learning: Parallels and contrasts in rabbits and humans. In J. E. Steinmetz, P. R. Solomon, & M. A. Gluck (Eds.), Model systems and the neurobiology of associative learning. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 2001.
- Woodruff-Pak, D. S. & Lemieux, S. K. Memory and aging, neural basis of. In N. J. Smelser & P.B. Baltes (Eds.) International encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences. Oxford: Elsevier Science, 2001.
- M. Parsons, W. Boling, M. Moran, M Kraszpulski, K. Shaikh, A. Puce, S.K. Lemieux, C. Rosen, J. Collins, J. Bailes (In Press) Advances in Neurosurgical Applications of Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, in Focus on Brain Mapping Research, Chen, F (ed) Nova Science: Hauppauge, NY no.2, p. R492-5.
- Differential geometry
- Geometric analysis
- Fluid mechanics
- Aerospace propulsion
- Applied mathematics
- Engineering education
- Thermal management systems
- Maicke, BA and Majdalani, J: Characterization of the Startup and Pressure Blowdown Processes in Rocket Nozzles, Aerospace Science and Technology, 25(1), pp. 273–282, doi:10.1016/j.ast.2012.02.003, 2013
- Majdalani, J and Maicke, BA: Direct Calculation of the Average Local Mach Number in Converging-Diverging Nozzles, Aerospace Science and Technology, 24(1), pp. 111–115, doi:10.1016/j.ast.2011.10.009, 2013
- Maicke, BA, Saad, T and Majdalani, J: On the Compressible Hart-McClure and Sellars Mean Flow Motions, Physics of Fluids, 24(9), doi:10.1063/1.4748349, 2012
- Majdalani, J and Maicke, BA: Inversion of the Fundamental Thermodynamic Equations for Isentropic Nozzle Flow Analysis, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, doi:10.1115/1.4003963, 2011
- Majdalani, J and Maicke, BA: Explicit Inversion of Stodola’s Area–Mach Number Equation, Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(7), p. 071702, doi:10.1115/1.4002596, 2011
- Maicke, BA and Majdalani, J: A Constant Shear Stress Core Flow Model of the Bidirectional Vortex, Proceedings of the Royal Society, A, 465, pp. 915–935, doi:10.1098/rspa.2008.0342, 2009
- Maicke, BA and Majdalani, J: On the Rotational Compressible Taylor Flow in Injection-Driven Porous Chambers, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 603, pp. 391–411, doi:10.1017/S0022112008001122, 2008
- Maicke, BA and Majdalani, J: The Particle Image Velocimetry-Characteristics, Limits and Possible Applications, chap. Characterization of the Bidirectional Vortex using Particle Image Velocimetry, Intech, ISBN 978-953-51-0625-8, 2012
- Nonlinear elasticity
- Dynamical systems and bifurcation theory
- Partial differential equations: maximum principles, existence & uniqueness questions, global continuation
Calculus of variations
- C. Bu, R. Shull, Anita Mareno. "Numerical Simulation of Blow-Up of a 2D Generalized Ginzburg -Landau Equation". Applied Math Letters Vol. 9, No. 6, (1996), pp. 13-17.
- Anita Mareno. "Uniqueness of Equilibrium Solutions in Second-Order Gradient Nonlinear Elasticity", J. Elasticity 74 (2004), pp.99-107.
- Anita Mareno, Timothy J. Healey. "Global Continuation in Second-Gradient Nonlinear Elasticity". SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, Vol. 38, Issue 1 (2006), pp. 103-115.
- A. Mareno, “Maximum principles for a fourth order equation from thin plate theory,”
- Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 343, pp. 932-937, February 2008.
- A. Mareno, L.Q. "English, Stability of the catenary shapes for hanging cables of unspecified lengths", Eur. J. Phys. 30 (2009) pp. 97-108.
- A. Mareno , L.Q. English, Catenary Stability for Variable-Length Cables.
- Wolfram Demonstrations Project. (2009).
- A. Mareno, “Integral bounds for von Karman’s equations,” Zeitschrift für
- Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik (Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics), Vol. 90, No. 6, pp.509-513, June 2010.
- A. Mareno, “Maximum principles and bounds for a class of fourth order nonlinear
- elliptic equations.” , Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications; Vol. 377, No.2, pp. 495-500, May 2011.
- A. Mareno, “Maximum principles for some higher order semilinear elliptic equations,”
- Glasgow Mathematical Journal, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 313-320, May 2011.
- C.P. Danet, A. Mareno, “Maximum Principles for a class of linear elliptic equations of even order”, (submitted).
- A. Mareno, “Maximum principle results for a nonlinear equation from thin plate theory”,
- Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 47, pp. 2307 – 2314, 2012.
- A. Mareno, “On maximum principles for m-metaharmonic equations”, International
- Scholarly Research Network (ISRN) Mathematical Analysis Vol. 2012, 2012.
- L.Q. English, A. Mareno, “Orbits and Stability Analysis for the Coin Funnel Problem.“
- Mathews IV, G. F., Mullen, R. L., and Rizos, D. C. (2014). "Highly stable explicit temporal integration for discrete element computations." ASCE J. Comput. Civil Eng., 04014084-1- 04014084-10.
- Complex Geometry
- Mathematical Physics
- Non-Kahler manifolds
- "A Newlander-Nirenberg Theorem for Supermanifolds", Journal of Mathematical Physics 30(5) (1989), pp. 1039-42.
- "The Space of Super Light Rays for Complex Conformal Spacetimes", Journal of Geometry and Physics, 13 (1994), pp. 16-50.
- "The Space of Super Light Rays for D=10, N=1 Superconformal Structures", Journal of Geometry and Physics, 46 (2003) 6-20.
- “Holomorphic Chern-Simons and BF Theories on Super Twistor Spaces”, Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, Volume 42 No.2 2008, 175-181 (Proceedings of The IV International Conference on Applied Mathematics and Computing)
- Review of Sergey A. Merkulov, Moduli of Compact Legendre Submanifolds of Complex Contact Manifolds, Mathematical Research Letters 1, 717-727 (1994), in Mathematical Reviews.
- Review of Luke Hodgkin, The Complex Structure of Supermoduli Space, Classical and Quantum Gravity 12, 2135-2148, (1995), in Mathematical Reviews.
- An Introduction to Modern Mathematics and its Applications, Linus Publications, 2009
- Inverse scattering and Cloaking
- T. Meklachi , G. W. Milton, D. Onofrei, A. Thaler, G. Funchess, “Sensitivity of anomalous localized resonance phenomena with respect to dissipation”, in press, Quarterly of Appl. Math, available online since 2015
- Signal Integrity
- FPGA Implementation for high speed applications
- Signal, Image and Video Processing
- Mathematical Morphology and Non-linear signal processing
- Neural Networks
- A. Morales and R. Acharya, "Statistical Analysis of Morphological Openings", IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 10, October 1993, pp. 3052-3056.
- S. J. Ko and A. Morales, "Training Grayscale Structuring Elements Using Fuzzy Sets and Neural Networks", in Robotics and Manufacturing, "Recent Trends in Research, Education and Applications," ASME Press Series, Volume 4. Edited by M. Jamshidi, New Mexico, November 1992.
- S.J. Ko, A. Morales and K.H. Lee, "Block Basis Matrix Implementation of the Morphological Open-Closing and Close-Opening," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 2, No. 1, January 1995, pp. 7-9.
- A. Morales, Raj Acharya and S.J. Ko, "Morphological Pyramids with Alternating Sequential Filters," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 4, No. 7, July 1995, pp. 965-977.
- S.J. Ko, A. Morales and K.H. Lee, "Fast Implementation Algorithm and Bit-serial Realization for Grayscale Morphological Opening/Closing,'' IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, December 1995.
- S.J. Ko, A. Morales and K.H. Lee, "Fast Recursive Algorithms for Morphological Operators Based on the Matrix Representation'', IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Special Issue on Nonlinear Filtering, Vol 5, No. 6, June 1996.
- K.H. Lee, A. Morales and S.J. Ko, "Adaptive Basis Matrix for the Morphological Function Processing Opening and Closing'', IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol 6, No. 5, May 1997.
- K.H. Lee, B.Y. Choi, A. Morales and S.J. Ko, "Basis Matrix Representation of Morphological Filters with N-Dimensional Structuring Elements", Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, Vol. 7, No. 4, Dec 1997; also Proc. of IEEE Asia Pacific Conference of Circuits and Systems, November 1996. Best paper award at the Conference.
- K. S. Choi, A. Morales, and S. J. Ko, “Design of Linear Combinations of Weighted Medians”, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 49, No. 9, September 2001.
- A. Morales, E. Boman, and S. J. Ko, “An Efficient Algorithm to Calculate the Sample and Rank Selection Probabilities for Weighted Median Filters,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, May 2002.
- Y. Kim, J. S. Lee, A. Morales and S.J. Ko, “A Video Camera System with Enhanced Zoom Tracking and Auto White Balance,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 48, No. 3, August 2002.
- Aldo Morales and Sedig Agili, “Using a MATLAB-based SPIHT Algorithm in Image Compression,” Computers in Education Journal, January-March 2005.
- J.W. Kim, G.R. Kwon, H.H. Kim, Aldo Morales and S.J. Ko, “Efficient Transcoding Technique for QoS-Based Home Gateway Service,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, February 2006. pp. 129-137.
- J. Reagan, S. Agili and Aldo Morales, “Using a Digital Signal Processor for Real Time Implementation of a Tuning Device,” Computers in Education Journal, April-June, 2006.
- S. Agili, V. Balasubramanian and A. Morales “ A Semi-automatic Region of Interest Identification Algorithm Using Wavelets” Optical Engineering, March 2007.
- Sedig Agili, David B. Bjornberg and Aldo Morales “Optimized Search Over the Gabor Dictionary for Note Decomposition and Recognition” Journal of the Franklin Institute, April 18, 2007.
- David Chandler, Jeffrey Garstecki and Aldo Morales, “Obtaining Quartz Crystal Frequencies From Deterministic Temperatures and Random Angle Variations,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 54, No. 7, pp. 1475-1481, July 2007.
- Tao V. Nguyen, Aldo Morales, and Sedig Agili, "Characterization of Differential Via Holes Using Equivalent Circuit Extraction Technique," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 8 pages, October 2007.
- Matt Lazarowitz and Aldo Morales, “Applications of Mathematical Morphology in Edge Anti-aliasing Algorithms,” International Journal of Modern Engineering. Spring/Summer 2008, Volume 8, No. 2.
- S-H. Park, H-K Kim, A. Morales and S. J Ko “Air-void Analysis System of Polished Concrete Using Image Processing,” Journal of Applied Computer Science, 7 pages, Vol. 15, No. 2 (2007), pp. 19-25.
- S.W. Jung, J.Y. Yoon, H. Choi, Aldo W. Morales and S.J. Ko “A Novel Post-Processing Algorithm for Parallel-Decoded U-HDTV Video Sequences,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, February 2009.
- A. Morales and S. Agili “Signal Integrity Challenges,” Editorial Page, Ingeniare. (Chilean Journal of Engineering) Revista Chilena de Ingeniería, vol. 17 Nº 1, January-April, 2009, pp. 2-3.
- P. Idowu, J. Atiyeh, E. Schmitt, and A. Morales, “MATLAB® Tool for Introducing Basics of Induction Motor Signature (IMCS) Analysis,” International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education, January, 2010.
- E. Schmitt, P. Idowu and Aldo Morales “Applications of Wavelets in Induction Machine Fault Detection”, Ingeniare (Chilean Journal of Engineering) Revista Chilena de Ingeniería, ISSN 0718-3305 on-line version, Vol. 18 Nº 2, May - August 2010.
- T. S. Wang, K.S. Choi, H.S. Jang, A. Morales, S. J. Ko, “Enhanced Frame Rate Up-Conversion Method for UHd Video,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 2, May 2010.
- S. Agili, A. Morales, J. Li and M. Resso, “Finding the Probability Distribution Functions of S-Parameters and Their Monte Carlo Simulation,” IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation & Measurement, November 2012.
- S. Agili, A. Morales, J. Li and M. Resso, “Modeling Relative Humidity and Temperature Effects on Scattering Parameters in Transmission Lines,” IEEE Trans. on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Nov.-Dec., 2012.
- Computational Structural Biology
- Computational Geometry
- Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition
- Machine Learning
- Hyuntae Na, Guang Song, “The Effective Degeneracy of Protein Normal Modes,” Physical Biology. Vol. 13, No. 3, pages 036002, May 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1478-3975/13/3/036002
- Hyuntae Na, Guang Song, D. Ben-Avraham, “Universality of vibrational spectra of globular proteins,” Physical Biology. Vol. 13, No. 1, pages 016008, February 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26907186
- Hyuntae Na, Robert L. Jernigan, Guang Song, “Bridging between NMA and Elastic Network Models: Preserving All-atom Accuracy in Coarse-grained Models,” PLoS Comput. Biol. Vol. 11, Issue 10, 22 pages, October 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26473491
- Hyuntae Na, Guang Song, “The performance of fine-grained and coarse-grained elastic network models and its dependence on various factors,” Proteins. Vol. 83, Issue 7, pages 1273-1283, July 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25917684
- Hyuntae Na, Guang Song, “Quantitative delineation of how breathing motions open ligand migration channels in myoglobin and its mutants,” Proteins. Vol. 83, Issue 4, pages 757-770, April 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25645487
- Hyuntae Na, Guang Song, “Conventional NMA As a Better Standard for Evaluating Elastic Network Models,” Proteins. Vol. 83, Issue 2, pages 259-267, February 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25471641
- Hyuntae Na, Guang Song, “Bridging between normal mode analysis and elastic network models,” Proteins. Vol. 82, Issue 9, September 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24692201
- Hyuntae Na, Guang Song, “A natural unification of GNM and ANM and the role of inter-residue forces,” Physical Biology. Vol. 11, No. 3, pages 036002, April 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24732806
- Hyuntae Na, Seung-Yub Lee, Ersan Üstündag, Sarah L. Ross, Halil Ceylan, and Kasthurirangan Gopalakrishnan, “Development of a Neural Network Simulator for Studying the Constitutive Behavior of Structural Composite Materials,” International Scholarly Research Notices Materials Science, Vol. 2013, 10 pages, 2013. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/147086
- Jong Ryul Kim, Hyun Tae Na, Young Shik Moon, “A Robust Algorithm for Tracking Non-rigid Objects Using Deformed Template and Level-Set Theory”, Journal of Institute of Electronics Engineers of Korea, Computer & Information, Vol. 40, No. 3, pages 1-10, May 2003. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE00488041
- Hyuntae Na, Tu-Liang Lin, and Guang Song. Generalized Spring Tensor Models for Protein Fluctuation Dynamics and Conformation Changes. In: Protein Conformational Dynamics (Ed. Ke-Li Han, Xin Zhang, Ming-jun Yang), Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, Vol. 805, pages 107-135, Springer, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24446359
- Physical Metallurgy
- Joining of alloys
- Structural Ceramics and Bioceramic
- Corrosion Fatigue of light alloy
- Light alloy
- Ceramics Matrix Composite (CMC)
- Interface microstructure and strength of TLP bonded stainless steel, under review in Acta Metallurgica Sinica.
- AHME Rahman, MN Cavalli, Diffusion bonding of commercially pure Ni using Cu interlayer, Mater. Character. 69 (2012) 90 – 96.
- AHME Rahman, MN Cavalli, Diffusion bonding of commercially pure Fe using Cu and Au-12Ge interlayer, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 545 (2012) 6– 12.
- AHME Rahman, MN Cavalli, Strength and microstructure of diffusion bonded titanium usingsilver and copper inter layer, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 527 (2010) 5189–5193.
- AHME Rahman, M Kim, JH Kim, BT Lee, Fabrication of seven cells in single tubular solid oxide fuel cell using multi-pass extrusion process, Ceram. Int., 36 (2010) 1577–1580.
- AHME Rahman, S Islam, JH Kim, BT Lee, Fabrication and characterization of t-ZrO2 supported small tubular SOFC, Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, 117 (10) (2009) 1131-1133.
- HY Song, AHME Rahman, BT Lee, Fabrication of calcium phosphate-calcium sulfate injectable bone substitute using chitosan and citric Acid, J. Mater Sci.: Materials in Medicine, 20 (2009) 935-941.
- AHME Rahman, JH Kim, KH Lee, BT Lee, Microstructure characterization and electrical conductivity of electroless nano Ni coated 8YSZ cermets, Surf. Coat. Technol, 202 (2008) 2182- 2188.
- BT Lee, KH Kim, AHME Rahman, HY S, Microstructures and mechanical properties of spark plasma sintered Al2O3-Co composites using electroless deposited Al2O3-Co powders, Materials Transactions, 49 (9) (2008) 1451-1455.
- K.C. Byun, AHME Rahman, J.H. Kim and B.T. Lee, In-Situ fabrication of micro-channeled multi tubular solid oxide fuel cell using multi-pass extrusion process, Korean J. Mater. Res. Vol. 17, No. 6 (2007).
- BT Lee, AHME Rahman, JH Kim, Novel design of microchanneled tubular solid oxide fuel cells and synthesis using a multipass extrusion process, J. Am. Ceram. Soc, 90 (2007) 1921-1925.
- Micro/Nano surface Texturing of Metal forming Dies.
- Micro/Nano surface Texturing of PV thin film solar cells to maximize light entrapment.
- Additive Manufacturing.
- Micropropagation and Genetic Engineering of Jatropha
- Genetic Engineering of Camelina
- In vitro flowering in Biofuel Crops
- Micropropagation of Simarouba
- Genetic Engineering of Tomato with Nutritionally Enriched Genes
- Genetic Engineering of Soybean with Plant Vaccine
- Biosafety and risk assessment of transgenic plants (USDA Norman Borlaug grant)
- Micropropagation of Figs Testing selenium containing analogs of SAHA to see cytotoxicity in lung cancer cells
Selected Journal Articles
W. Abou-Alaiwi, P. Shobha Devi, S. Goldman, P. Josekutty, D. Karelia and S. Rudrabhatla. “Agrobacterium-mediated transformation systems in Centaurea montana, an important medicinal plant.” Accepted in Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 23 pages, Published online 5th October 2011.
Wissam A. Alaiwi, Rudrabhatla V. Sairam, Puthiyaparambil C. Josekutty, Shobha D. Potlakayala, Deepkamal Karelia, and Stephen L. Goldman. “In vitro regeneration, flowering, and cell culture of Centaurea species.” Accepted in African Journal of Biotechnology.
Puthiyaparambil Josekutty, Shobha Devi Potlakayala, Rebekah Templin, and Sairam Rudrabhatla, “In Vitro Flowering Studies with Nine Cultivars of Perennial Ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) Floriculture and Ornamental Biotechnology, 2011, (1) 45-49.
Shadia Nada, Siva Chennareddy, Stephen Goldman, Sairam Rudrabhatla, Shobha Devi Potlakayala, Puthyaparambil Josekutty, and Karelia Deepkamal. (2011) Direct Shoot Bud Differentiation and Plantlet Regeneration from Leaf and Petiole Explants of Begonia tuberhybrida. Hortscience, 46:5, 759–764.
Wissam Abou Alaiwi1, Puthiyaparambil Chacko Josekutty2, Stephen Lawrence Goldman1,
Shobha Devi Potlakayala2, and Rudrabhatla Venkata Sairam1,2* (2011) Efficient In Vitro propagation of Centaurea Montana L. Propagation of Ornamental Plants, 11: 1 40-43
Karelia, Nilkamal, Desai Dhimant, Heangst, Jeremy A, Amin, Shantu, Sairam, Rudrabhatla V, Yun, Jong.(2010) Selenium-containing analogs of SAHA induce cytotoxicity in lung cancer cells. Archives of Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 20: 22, 6816-6819
Sadia B, PC Josekutty, SD Potlakayla, P Patel, S Goldman, SV Rudrabhatla. (2010) An efficient protocol for culturing meristems of sorghum hybrids. International Journal of experimental Botany, 0031: 9457 177-181
Zhang, Shulu, Sairam, Rudrabhatla V, Grefer Doni, James Feasel, Ferencak, Mark and Goldman, Stephen L.(2009). Resistance to Xanthomonas campestris pv. pelargonii in geranium and diagnosis of the bacterial blight using polymerase chain reaction . Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection, 42: 12, 1109-1117
Zhang, Shulu, Grefer, Doni, Feasel, James, Ferencak, Mark, Sairam, Rudrabhatla V. and Goldman, Stephen L.(2009). 'Exogenous methyl jasmonate inhibits the spread/multiplication of Xanthomonas campestris pv. pelargonii in the leaves of Pelargonium x hortorum', Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection, 42:10, 930-939
Diaa Al-Abed, Parani Madaswamy, Talla, Reddy, Goldman, Stephen and Rudrabhatla, Sairam. (2007). Genetic Engineering of Maize with the Arabidopsis DREB1A/CBF3 Gene Using Split-seed Explants. Crop Science. Volume 47: 6: 2390-2402..
Diaa Al-Abed, Rudrabhatla, Sairam, Talla, Reddy and Goldman, Stephen. (2006). Split-seed: A new tool for maize researchers. Planta – 223: 1355-1360.
Rudrabhatla Sairam, Siva Chennareddy, Madasamy Parani, Shulu Zhang, Diaa Al-Abed, WissamAbou-Alaiwi and Stephen Goldman. (2005). OPBC Symposium: Maize 2004 & Beyond – Plant Regeneration, Gene Discovery and Genetic Engineering of Plants for Crop Improvement. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.-Plant – 41, 411-423,.
R.V. Sairam and C.S. Prakash. Can Agricultural Biotechnology Contribute to Global Food Security? (2005). In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.-Plant – 41: 424-430,.
Franklin, G , R.V. Sairam, Carpenter, L., Al.Abed, D., Abou Alawai, W., Parani, M., Goldman, S.L. (2004). Factors influencing regeneration of soybean from mature and immature cotyledons. Plant Growth Regulation : 43: 73-79,.
Parani Madasamy, R.V. Sairam, Rachel Myers, Heatherbea Weirich, Bruce Smith, Douglas W. Leaman, S.L. Goldman. (2004). Microarray analysis of nitric oxide responsive transcripts in arabidopsis. Plant Biotechnology Journal : 2: 359-366.
R.V. Sairam, G. Franklin, R. Hassel, B. Smith, K. Meeker, N. Kashikar, M. Parani, D. Al. Abed, S. Ismail, K. Berry & S.L. Goldman. (2003). A study on the effect of genotypes, plant growth regulators and sugars in promoting plant regeneration via organogenesis from soybean cotyledonary nodal callus. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture : 75: 79-85,.
R.V. Sairam, Parani M., Franklin G., Lifeng Z., Smith B., Mac Dougall, J., Wilber C., Sheiki H., Kashikar N., Meeker K., Al-Abed D., Berry K., Chen H., Vierling R., Goldman S.L. (2003). Shoot meristem: An ideal explant for Zea mays transformation. Genome, 46: 323-329.
R.V. Sairam, Wilber, C., Franklin, J., Smith, B., Frutiger, K., Bazil, J., Blakey, C.A., Vierling, R., and Goldman, S.L. (2002). High frequency callus induction and plant regeneration in Tripsacum dactyloides (L.), In Vitro Plant Cell Dev.Biol.-Plant. 38: 435-440.
R.V. Sairam, N. Seetharama and T.S. Rani. (2000). Regeneration of sorghum from shoot tip cultures and field performance of the progeny. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 61: 169-173,.
R.V. Sairam, N Seetharama, T. Shyamala and P.S. Devi. (2000). Plant regeneration from scutella of immature embryos of diverse sorghum genotypes. Cereal Research Communications 28: 3, 279-285.
R.V. Sairam, N. Seetharama, Devi. P.S, Verma A, U R Murty, N Seetharama and Potrykus.I. (1999) Plant regeneration from mesophyll protoplasts of Sorghum. Plant Cell Reports 18: 12, 972-977.
Puthiyaparambil Josekutty, Shobha Devi Potlakayala, Rebekah Templin, Alankar Vaidya, Sarah Ryan, Deepkamal Karelia, Nilkamal Karelia, Vaman Rao, Vilas Tonapi, Behnam Tabatabai, Fatima Fofanah, Diego Morales, and Sairam Rudrabhatla, “Genetic Engineering for Bioenergy Crops.” Accepted and available online in Taylor and Francis book publication titled, Handbook of Bioenergy Crop Plants.
Hem S. Bhandari, Masummi Ebina, Malay C. Saha, Joseph H. Bouton, S. V. Rudrabhatla, and Stephen L. Goldman, “Wild Crop Relatives: Genomic and Breeding Resources,” Panicum Springer Verlag Publication. pp. 175-196, 2011.
P.K. Mythili, T.S. Rani, R.V. Sairam, V.D. Reddy, D. Harshavardhan and N. Seetharama. (2004). Sorghum tissue culture and transformation research. Sorghum Tissue Culture & Transformation 7: 51-56.
R.V. Sairam, Seetharama, N., Nwanze, K.F., and Subramanian, V. (1997) Biotechnology and sorghum improvement for insect resistance. Pages 127-131, In: Plant resistance to insects in sorghum (Eds: Sharma, H.C and Faujdar Singh).
Sairam R.V., Al-Abed, D., Johnson, J., Muzynski, M., Raab, M., Reddy, T.V. and Goldman, S.L. Maize. (2008) In: Kole, C., Hall, T.C. (eds) A Compendium of Transgenic Crop Plants 49-82.
Stephen L. Goldman, Sairam Rudrabhatla, Michael G. Muszynski, Paul Scott, Diaa Al-Abed and Shobha D. Potlakayala. (2010). Understanding and Manipulation of the Flowering Network and the Perfection of Seed Quality. In: C. Kole et al. (eds.). Transgenic Crop Plants 2:167-198..
R.V. Sairam and Goldman, S.L. US patent. A method for producing In Vitro flowering in a plant and plants produced therefrom. US 7,547,548 B2, Issued June 16, 2009.
Parani Madasamy, R.V. Sairam and Goldman, S.L. US Patent Pending 2005. A novel transcription factor (Petcbf4) that is induced by cold, drought and salinity stress in plants.
- Digital systems
- Control systems
- Data communications
- Wind power
- Optimal Control Theory
- Nonlinear and Nonsmooth Analysis
- Mingaleeva, I. Shvartsman, Second Order Necessary Optimality Conditions in Discrete Optimal Control, Differential Equations, Vol. 50, 2014, pp. 1640-1646.
- Mingaleeva, I. Shvartsman, Second Order Optimality Conditions for Singular Controls, Numerical Functional Analysis and Optimization, Vol. 35, 2014, pp. 1245-1257.
- A. Arutyunov, A. Izmailov, I. Shvartsman, Optimality Conditions for 2-Regular Problems with Nonsmooth Objective Functions, Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications, Vol. 90, 2013, pp. 37-45.
- B.S. Mordukhovich, I. Shvartsman, Approximate Maximum Principle for Discrete Approximations of Optimal Control Systems with Nonsmooth Objectives and Endpoint Constraints, ESAIM: Control, Optimisation, and Calculus of Variations, Vol. 19(3), 2013, pp. 811-827.
- I. Shvartsman, Necessary Optimality Conditions in Discrete Nonsmooth Optimal Control, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 153(3), 2012, pp. 578-586.
- I. Shvartsman, V. Chinchilli, H. Liu, A Frailty Model in Crossover Studies with Time-to-Event Response Variable, Communications in Statistics: Simulation and Computation, Vol. 41, 2012, pp.1960-1969.
- I. Shvartsman, On Sensitivity of Minimizers in Convex Programming, Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications, Vol. 75(3), 2012, pp. 1563-1571.
- M.R. de Pinho, I. Shvartsman, Lipschitz Continuity of Optimal Control in a Problem with Mixed and Pure State Constraints, Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, Series A, Vol. 29(2), 2011, pp.505-522.
- I. Shvartsman, Application of Variational Analysis and Control Theory to Non-Parametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Probability Density Function, in R. Burachik, J. Yao, Editors, Variational Analysis and Generalized Differentiation in Optimization and Control, Springer, New York, 2010, pp.187-203.
- H. Logemann, E.P. Ryan, I. Shvartsman, A Class of Differential-Delay Systems with Hysteresis: Asymptotic Behaviour of Solutions, Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications, Vol. 69(1), 2008, pp. 363-391
- I. Shvartsman, New Approximation Method in the Proof of the Maximum Principle for Nonsmooth Optimal Control Problems with State Constraints, J. of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 326, 2007, pp. 974-1000.
- H. Logemann, E.P. Ryan, I. Shvartsman, Integral control in the presence of hysteresis: an input-output approach, ESAIM: Control, Optimisation and Calculus of Variations, Vol. 13(3), 2007, pp. 458-483
- I. Shvartsman, R.B. Vinter, Regularity Properties of Optimal Controls for State Constrained Problems with Time-Varying Control Constraints, Nonlinear Analysis, Vol. 65(2), 2006, pp. 448-474.
- I. Shvartsman, Finite-Dimensional Approximations in Necessary Optimality Conditions in Nonsmooth Constrained Optimal Control, Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications, Vol. 63(5-7), 2005, pp. 1665-1672.
- B.S. Mordukhovich, I. Shvartsman, The Approximate Maximum Principle in Constrained Optimal Control, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, Vol. 43(3), 2004, pp.1037 – 1062.
- B.S. Mordukhovich, I. Shvartsman, Optimization and Feedback Control of Constrained Parabolic Systems under Uncertain Perturbations, in de Queiroz, M., M. Malisoff, and P. Wolenski, Editors, Optimal Control, Stabilization, and Nonsmooth Analysis, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2004, Vol.301, pp.121-132.
- B.S. Mordukhovich, I. Shvartsman, Discrete Maximum Principle for Nonsmooth Optimal Control Problems with Delays, Cybernetics and System Analysis, No.2, 2002, pp. 245-254.
- Geoscience Education
- Stream restoration
- Spear, M., Zhou, Y., Cole, C.A., and Xie, Y. F. (2006) Evaluation of arsenic field test kits for drinking water analysis. Journal American Water Works Association 98(12):97-105.
- Portland Cement Concrete Materials used in buildings as well as in roads
- Asphalt Cement Concrete Materials used in Roadway Pavements
- Construction Management including Roadway Pavement Management
- Sustainable Energy used in Roadways and Buildings
- Subramanian Rajarajan, Mang Tia, Michael Bergin and Charles Ishee, “An effective and efficient Tool to evaluate the Early Shrinkage in Florida Bridge Decks”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Innovation, Fall/Winter Volume, 2015 (Accepted, Waiting for publication).
- Subramanian Rajarajan, “The Current Status of the Roadways Solar Power Technology: A Review”, International Symposium on Systematic Approaches to Environmental Sustainability in Transportation Proceedings, Center for Environmentally Sustainable Transportation in Cold Climates (CESTiCC), August 2 – 5, 2015, Fairbanks, Alaska. (Accepted, Waiting for publication)
- Subramanian Rajarajan, “Developing Advanced Construction Management Course with Innovative Methodologies”, Spring 2015 Mid-Atlantic American Society for Engineering Education Conference Proceedings, April 10-11, 2015 Villanova University, Villanova, PA-19085
- Subramanian Rajarajan, Thavavigna Thanikachalam, and Najafi F.T., Civil Engineering Education at the Anna University, India and the University of Florida, Annual Conference Proceedings, American Society for Engineering Education, June 10 – 13, 2012.
- Sofia M Vidalis and Subramanian Rajarajan, “State Agencies’ Status of Warm Mix Asphalt Technologies: A Review”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Education Vol.2, No.2, 2010 Fall/Winter edition.
- Subramanian Rajarajan, Tia M, Ishee Charles and Bergin M “Evaluation of Effects of Shrinkage-Reducing Admixture on Potential Shrinkage-Induced Stresses in Concrete”, Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting at Washington D.C, January 11 – 15, 2004 Proceedings.
- Subramanian Rajarajan and Najafi F. T. Current Status of the Development and Use of Portland Cement Concrete Performance Related Specifications, Annual Conference of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Montréal, Québec, Canada June 5-8, 2002
- Subramanian Rajarajan and Najafi.,F.T. Partnership in Engineering Education, Proceedings, 2001 ASEE-SE Annual Conference, Charleston, SC, March 31-April 3, 2001, Technical Session, CD-ROM.
- Najafi,F.T., Pathomvanich,S., and Anglade, Y.J. and Subramanian Rajarajan. Justification of High-Speed Rail in Florida, Proceedings, 2001 CSCE 29th Annual Conference, Victoria, BC, Canada, May 30-June 2, 2001, CD-ROM, A54.
- Villiers.Claude, Subramanian Rajarajan, Najafi, F.T, and Anglade, Y.J, Haiti: An Emergency Call to Rehabilitate Its Transportation, Proceedings, 2nd International Symposium on Public Works Infrastructure, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, July 29-August 1, 2001, CD-ROM
- Subramanian Rajarajan and Najafi, F. T. Industry/Government Participation in Engineering Education, Proceedings, 2000 ASEE Annual Conference, Southeastern Section, Roanoke, Virginia, April 2-4, 2000, CD ROM, 1-5.
- Subramanian Rajarajan, Najafi, F. T and Pathomvanich, S., Partnership in Engineering Education to Enhance Graduates Responsiveness to Industry/Government, Proceedings, International Conference in Engineering Education, Ostrava-Prague, Czech Republic, August 10-14, 1999, CD ROM, Paper 335, 1-8.
- Arnaldo, Sal G., Subramanian Rajarajan and Najafi, F. T., A Survey of Pavement Management Status in Florida, Proceedings, 1999 CSCE Annual Conference, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, June 2-5, 1999, Vol. IV, 359-368.
- Subramanian Rajarajan and Najafi, F. T. Alleviating Traffic in Two Congested Highway Corridors with High-Speed Rail, Proceedings, 1999 CSCE Annual Conference, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, June 2-5, 1999, Vol. IV, 479-488.
- Subramanian Rajarajan and Najafi, F.T. Effects of fly ash on the Mechanical Properties of Ferro-cement, Proceedings, World Road Congress, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia October 3-6, 1999.
- MMIC and RFIC
- RF and microwave oscillators and PLL
- Multi Gbps clock recovery circuits
- Self-oscillating mixers
- Frequency stabilization by injection locking
- Microwave and millimeter wave measurement test fixtures
- Microwave and millimeter wave high frequency components
- EM interaction with biological tissues and bioelectromagnetics
- RF/Microwave medical devices
- Microwave imaging and radiometry
- Complex permittivity measurement techniques
- Network analysis at microwave and millimeter wave frequencies
- Numerical methods in electromagnetics
- Microwave CAD
- Antennas and arrays
- Wireless propagation modeling
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Measurement Techniques for Electromagnetic Characterization of Biological Materials," Chapter 18 of Handbook of Engineering Electromagnetics, R. Bansal, Ed., Marcel Dekker Inc., August 2004.
Journals and Conferences
- M. R. Tofighiand A. S. Daryoush, "A 2.5 GHz InGaP/GaAs Differential Cross-Coupled Self-Oscillating Mixer (SOM) IC," Submitted to IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "An IC Based Self-Oscillating Mixer for Telecommunications," IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference, RAWCON 2004, Sep. 2004, Atlanta, GA.
- L. Zhou, S. Shetty, R. Spring, H. Ariak , W. Zheng, J. Hyun, M.R. Tofighi, and A. S. Daryoush, "IC Based Broadband Digital Receiver for 4G Wireless Communications," IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference, RAWCON 2004, Sep. 2004, Atlanta, GA.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "PLL and Injection Locked PLL (ILPLL) Operations of a Push-Pull Self Oscillating Mixer (SOM)," Digest of 2003 IEEE International Microwave Symposium , pp. 2173-2176, June 2003, Philadelphia, PA.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Comparison of Two Post-Calibration Correction Methods for Complex Permittivity Measurement of Biological Tissues up to 50 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1170-1176, Dec. 2002.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Characterization of the Complex Permittivity of Brain Tissues up to 50 GHz Utilizing a Two-Port Microstrip Test Fixture," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. MTT-50, No. 10, pp. 2217-2225, Oct. 2002.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Study of the Activity of Neurological Cell Solutions Using Complex Permittivity Measurement," Digest of IEEE International Microwave Symposium , pp. 1763-1766, June 2002, Seattle, WA.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Near Field Microwave Imaging of Brain" Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 13, pp. 807-808, June 2001.
- A. Daryoush and M. R. Tofighi, "Microwave Engineering Education Using Web-Based Instruction," IEEE Microwave Magazine, pp. 114 - 118, June 2001.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Electromagnetic Induction in Brain Cells?" Digest of 2001 Topical Symposium on Millimeter Wave, TSMMW2001, Yokosuka, Japan, pp. 175 - 178, March 2001.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Characterization of Biological Tissues up to Millimeter Wave: Test Fixture Design," Digest of IEEE International Microwave Symposium, pp.1041-1044, June 2000, Boston, MA.
- M. R. Tofighi and A. S. Daryoush, "Design and Analysis of a 20 GHz Test Fixture For Characterization of Biological Tissues Using the Microstrip Transmission Line," Digest of IEEE Sarnoff Symposium on Communication Technology for the new Millennium, pp.155-158, March 2000, Princeton, NJ.
- M. N. 0. Sadiku, and M. R. Tofighi "A Tutorial on Simulation of Queuing Models" International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 109-, 1999.
- M. R. Tofighi, A. S. Daryoush, and Y. Nissanov, "Fixture Design Issues for Complex Permittivity Measurement of Biological Materials up to MMW frequencies," XXVIth URSI General Assembly, Aug. 1999, Toronto, Ontario.
- A. S. Daryoush and S. Tofighi, "E-Book as a Tool for Web-Based Microwave Instruction" 2001 International Microwave Symposium WBH Workshop on Web-Based RF and Microwave Education, May 2001, Phoenix, AZ.
- Solid-state circuit design
- Artificial neural networks
- Biomedical instrumentation
- Analog and digital electronics
- Water disinfection and disinfection byproduct control
- Emerging contaminant analysis and control
- Water quality and analysis
- Environmental chemistry
- Physical chemical and biological treatment processes
- Wastewater reuse
- Karanfil, Mitch, Westerhoff & Xie (eds), Recent Advances in Disinfection Byproducts, American Chemical Society, 2015
- Karanfil, Krasner, Westerhoff & Xie (eds), Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water: Occurence, Formation, Health Effects and Control , Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Yuefeng F. Xie, Disinfection Byproducts in Drinking Water: Formation, analysis, and control, Lewis Publishers, 2003.
- H.Wu, H.-H.Tung, Y.F. Xie, Haloacetic Acid Removal Using Granular Activated Carbon, Water Research Foundation (AWWA Research Foundation), 2005 (Published AWWARF Report).
Journal Publications (partial listing)
- Yu Zhao, Hong-wei Yang, Shi-ting Liu, Shun Tang, Xiao-mao Wang, Yuefeng F. Xie Effects of metal ions on disinfection byproduct formation during chlorination of natural organic matter and surrogates, Chemosphere, 2016, 144:1074-1082
- Shengqi Qi, Yuqin Mao, Miao Lv, Lili Sun, Xiaomao Wang, Hongwei Yang, Yuefeng F. Xie Pathway fraction of bromate formation during O3 and O3/H2O2 processes in drinking water treatment, Chemosphere, 2016, 144:2436-2442
- Fan-xin Kong, Hong-wei Yang, Xiao-mao Wang, Yuefeng F. Xie Assessment of the hindered transport model in predicting the rejection of trace organic compounds by nanofiltration, Journal of Membrane Science, 2016, 498:57-66
- Xiaofeng Wang, Beihai Zhou, Hongwei Yang, Xiaomao Wang, Yuefeng Xie, Effect of oxidation on nitro-based pharmaceutical degradation and trichloronitromethane formation, Chemosphere, 2016, 146:154-161
- Hao Tang and Yuefeng Xie, Biologically active carbon filtration for haloacetic acid removal from swimming pool water, Sci Total Environ, 2015, 541:58-64
- Hao L. Tang, Ricky J. Ristau, II, and Yuefeng F. Xie, Disinfection By-Products in Swimming Pool Water: Formation, Modeling, and Control, Recent Advances in Disinfection Byproducts, Karanfil, Mitch, Westerhoff & Xie (eds), American Chemical Society, 2015.
- Xiaofeng Wang, Hongwei Yang, Beihai Zhou, Xiaomao Wang, Yuefeng Xie, Effect of Oxidation on Amine-Based Pharmaceutical Degradation and N-Nitrosodimethylamine Formation, WATER RESEARCH, 2015, 87:403-411
- Lei-xi Dong, Hong-wei Yang, Shi-ting Liu, Xiao-mao Wang, Yuefeng F. Xie, Fabrication and anti-biofouling properties of alumina and zeolite nanoparticle embedded ultrafiltration membranes, Desalination, 2015, 365:70-78
- Zhang, Xiao-lu; Yang, Hong-wei; Wang, Xiao-mao; Karanfil, Tanju; Xie, Yuefeng F. Trihalomethane hydrolysis in drinking water at elevated temperatures. WATER RESEARCH, 2015, 78:18-27
- Shun Tang, Xiaomao Wang, Yuqin Mao, Yu Zhao, Hongwei Yang, Yuefeng Xie. Effect of dissolved oxygen concentration on iron efficiency: Removal of three chloroacetic acids. Water Research. 2015, 73: 342-352.
- Fan-xin Kong, Hong-wei Yang, Yu-qiao Wu, Xiao-mao Wang, Yuefeng F. Xie Rejection of pharmaceuticals during forward osmosis and prediction by using the solution-diffusion model. Journal of Membrane Science, 2015, 476, pp 410–420.
- Xiaomao Wang, Hongwei Yang, Zhenyu Li, Shaoxia Yang, Yuefeng Xie Pilot study for the treatment of sodium and fluoride-contaminated groundwater by using high-pressure membrane systems. Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering, 2015, 9(1), pp 155-163.
- Pengfei Lin, Yuan Zhang, Xiaojian Zhang, Chao Chen, Yuefeng Xie, Irwin H. Suffet The influence of chlorinated aromatics’ structure on their adsorption characteristics on activated carbon to tackle chemical spills in drinking water source, Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering, 2015, 9(1), pp 138-146.
- Xiaomao Wang, Yuqin Mao, Shun Tang, Hongwei Yang, Yuefeng Xie, Disinfection byproducts in drinking water and regulatory compliance: A critical review. Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering, 2015, 9(1), pp 3-15.
- McGuire, Michael J.; Karanfil, Tanju; Krasner, Stuart W.; Reckhow, David A.; Roberson, J. Alan; Summers, R. Scott; Westerhoff, Paul; Xie, Yuefeng (2014) Not your granddad's disinfection by-product problems and solutions, Journal American Water Works Association, 106(8), 54-73.
- Wendong Wang, Yinting Zhang, Mariem Esparra-Alvarado, Xiaomao Wang, Hongwei Yang, Yuefeng Xie (2014) Effects of pH and temperature on forward osmosis membrane flux using rainwater as the makeup for cooling water dilution, Desalination, 351, 70-76.
- Fan-xin Kong, Yang, Xiao-mao Wang, Hong-wei Yang, Yuefeng F. Xie (2014) Rejection of nine haloacetic acids and coupled reverse draw solute permeation in forward osmosis, Desalination, 341, 1-9.
- J.-J. Liu, X.-Y. Li, Y-F Xie, H. Tang (2014) Characterization of soluble microbial products as precursors of disinfection byproducts in drinking water supply, Science of the Total Environment, 472, 818-824.