Penn State is the communicative name for the University. All publications originating from Penn State should use the communicative name rather than the full name.
- The full name (The Pennsylvania State University) is reserved for formal documents, legal contracts, some mailing addresses, and form entries, such as the line, "Make checks payable to The Pennsylvania State University."
- The full name also is used in the formal version of the statement of nondiscrimination. It may be used in some faculty listings and on formal certificates, if the originating department checks with the Department of University Publications first.
- In text, the words Penn State are separate and both should be capitalized. Penn State may be referred to as the University on subsequent mention, but only if you are referring to the entire institution, not just a single campus, college, or other location.
- Use Penn State (two words) in all communicative publications.
- The formal name, The Pennsylvania State University, is reserved for formal documents.
- Do not use PSU.