Earning a degree is a significant academic milestone and accomplishment. To help you avoid any last-minute surprises affecting your ability to graduate, here are a few reminders to assist in your final preparations:
- Meet with your academic adviser regularly and review your degree audit in LionPATH. Be sure all graduation requirements will be complete by the end of the semester, and reconcile any deficits appearing on your audit.
- At the beginning of the semester you plan to finish your degree, submit your intent to graduate with the Registrar’s Office in LionPATH on the Degree Planning & Progress bar. Deadlines are posted on the Academic Calendar.
- Work with your instructors to complete coursework for any deferred grades, and verify the final grade is reported to the Registrar’s Office.
- Transfer credits should be approved before completing them to ensure they meet degree requirements. Request an official transcript be sent to the Penn State Harrisburg Enrollment Office when your transferred course is finished.
- Review your account with the Bursar’s Office for any outstanding financial obligations. Any unpaid charges may delay receipt of your diploma and/or official transcript.
Graduation with Distinction
The top twelve percent (12%) of baccalaureate degree candidates and top twelve percent (12%) of associate degree candidates are eligible to graduate with distinction under these parameters:
- Achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.50.
- Completion of at least 60 credits at Penn State University for baccalaureate degrees, and at least 30 credits at Penn State University for associate degrees.
- The top two (2) percent are designated with Summa Cum Laude; the next four (4) percent with Magna Cum Laude; and the final six (6) percent with Cum Laude.
Academic policies regarding graduation are found in University Faculty Senate Policies 48-40, 82-00, 83-00, 86-00, and 88-00.
Commencement is a time we celebrate our graduates and their academic accomplishments. Penn State Harrisburg hosts two commencement ceremonies each year in May and December.
Students who submitted their intent to graduate will periodically receive information from the University to their PSU-issued email account. Be sure to check your email periodically for must-know information about the ceremony, caps, gowns, diplomas, etc.
Important notes about filing your intent to graduate
- Please review the Graduation Requirements policy to ensure your eligibility to attend commencement.
- Programs that contain a list of graduating students are distributed at the commencement ceremony. If your intent to graduate is activated after the student information has been sent to the printer, your name will not appear in the program.
- Your correct home and local addresses are needed for pertinent graduation information, including diplomas. Confirm and/or update your address on LionPATH at this time.
Detailed information about the commencement ceremony can also be found at Penn State Harrisburg’s Commencement Ceremony website.