Penn State Harrisburg offers two honors programs for students who are highly motivated to achieve academic excellence and want more out of their college education. The two programs are the Capital College Honors Program and the University’s Schreyer Honors College. Both programs provide students with special honors courses in a wide variety of disciplines, supervised research opportunities, and support for international travel and study abroad. The Honors Programs aim to build a learning community that provides unique learning experience for motivated students.
Mission of the Honors Programs
The Honors Programs at Penn State Harrisburg are a learning community of students who have demonstrated a commitment to learning and distinguished themselves through high academic achievement in various academic programs. The Honors community, in partnership with faculty, staff and other stakeholders, seeks to:
- Explore sources of knowledge beyond the standard curriculum while maintaining the highest standards of excellence in all academic endeavors.
- Develop both interdisciplinary and global awareness, leading to the ability to understand and collaborate with individuals having different intellectual and cultural perspectives.
- Actively engage with diverse college and local communities in the discovery and application of knowledge to benefit these communities.
- Conduct all activities with the highest standards of personal integrity.
In order to enact the mission statement, the Honors Programs at Penn State Harrisburg have adopted the following objectives so that each honors student will:
- Develop and implement a rigorous program of study that will include the opportunity for enhancing personal creativity.
- Write an honors thesis or pursue a scholarly creative project as part of their program of study.
- Incorporate an interdisciplinary perspective within their program of study.
- Seek to develop an understanding of cultural differences inherent in, but not limited to, international relations.
- Seek out extra-curricular opportunities in collaboration with School and College administrators that will enhance intellectual and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well in teams and to take on leadership roles.
- Apply their knowledge and critical thinking skills while enhancing personal growth by seeking out campus leadership roles.
- Develop and implement a service learning plan that applies knowledge gained in an academic setting to the solution of community problems.
Graduates of the Penn State Harrisburg Honors Programs will become:
- Dedicated life-long learners who have developed a love for acquiring new knowledge.
- Engaged citizens who take a leadership role in the affairs of their community.
- Creative problem-solvers who apply their knowledge to the betterment of society
- Individuals who adhere to the highest standards of ethics and conduct themselves with integrity in all aspects of their lives.