Research and Planning: (1 year to 6 months in advance):
- Contact the Arts Manager to review potential dates or timeframes for your event, concurrent with planning or negotiating an event or contract with a guest or a guest’s representative. Stay in touch throughout the process to confirm and finalize the event date. (PLEASE NOTE: Student organizations must work with the Office of Student Life to plan events and secure facilities.)
- Communicate event plans and goals with Arts Manager to ensure that they are feasible and will best suit the event, the guest, and the attendees.
- Research funding, and check deadlines/ requirements for planning and marketing. Some options are:
- the Student Activity Fund (SAF)
- the Chancellor’s Fund
- Departmental funding
- Submit your request in 25 Live and attach the preliminary contract once the contract is actively being reviewed for approval and/or signature.
- Include technical and/or recording riders or addendums
- Offer letters and email communications may be submitted while contract process is underway.
- You will receive email confirmation when your event is assigned to the theatre facility and you will remain the requestor of your event. If your event is denied, you will receive that information via email.
- As requestor, you can add additional details for your event in 25Live, like lobby set-ups, calendar and marketing information, police and parking needs, et al.
- Meet with Marketing and Communications staff as soon as the event and Kulkarni facility are secured. Their staff will provide a number of methods to market your event, which will help you fill the 355 seats and increase your event’s success.
Audience patron management: (4-6 months in advance):
- We recommend using EventBrite to set up event RSVPs for the Kulkarni Theatre.
- SAF-funded events require an 80/20 split of the audience– 80% students/20% non-students. For SAF-funded events, you can create different RSVP types and limit registration numbers in EventBrite.
- Marketing staff can help create and add this information to marketing materials. You should upload your EventBrite, a flyer/image, and a detailed description to 25Live.
- Monitor EventBrite often and check for extra events around main event – Check varied campus calendars and Engage.
Planning meeting with the Kulkarni Theatre staff: (2-4 months in advance):
- Schedule a planning meeting and tour with the Kulkarni Theatre staff and invite committee members, staff and/or advisors. Please share contract and technical information, if available at this time.
Contract, Stage Details, and Other Requirements (1-2 months in advance):
- Fully-executed contracts (signed by guest/representative and an authorized Penn State signatory) must be submitted at least 30 days before the event date.
- Supply three (3) event flyers to Kulkarni Theatre staff at least 30 days before the event date.
- Confirm travel and parking requirements. Check the contract for special travel or parking needs for the event, such as parking in the loading area of the theatre.
- If you are unsure or the contract does not specify, contact the guest or their representative.
- For SEC loading dock parking, a Recognized Student Organization’s advisor or a Penn State staff member must request a special parking permit. Students are not permitted to make this request.
- Confirm any catering needs for event and/or guest. Upload catering needs in 25 Live.
- Review the contract for cancellation policy due to inclement weather, campus closure, or professional obligations.
- Confirm stage set-up and technical requirements. This may include one or more of the following: early access to the theatre space to set up instruments, special microphone, screen setup for media, stage furniture arrangement, and/or wireless microphones for audience members during Q and A.
- Make sure all marketing and publicity comply with any contractual approvals and restrictions.
- Media and recording restrictions – these may be in the contract itself or in a rider/addendum.
Parking and Security Needs:
- Event planners should use the 25 Live event form to request “no ticketing or ticketing forgiveness” for lots that the public will use starting about one (1) hour before the event and extending to one (1) hour after the event. The Library parking lot is most common.
- Event planners should use the 25 Live event form to request Police and Public Safety for possible staffing at the event.
DETAILS, DETAILS: 2-3 weeks in advance:
- Secure 4-6 volunteers to handle EventBrite check-in or ticket collection – volunteer duties may include serving as ushers, greeters, mic runners, or directing attendees as requested.
- Plan your Green Room hospitality – snacks and water for guests.
- Plan your lobby arrangements (tables, chairs, catering, photo ops, autograph ops). These must be arranged by the event organizer/requestor through 25 Live.
- We highly recommend that receptions be done after the event, rather than before the event.
- Secure volunteers for lobby cleanup- this must be done by the event organizer.
- Stage setup: (Standard stage set-ups can be selected in 25 Live)
- Lecture style, with media
- Lecture style, no media
- Cozy couch, chat style with facilitator or interviewer
- Other special setup per the event contract
- Will there be a Q & A session?
- Event organizer should have volunteers assist with theatre cleanup.
- Will there be a post-event meet and greet, reception, or book signing?
- Large-scale (over 150 people) post-event meet and greets or “selfie photo sessions” should be held in a separate area, such as the Spiritual Center or Living Room area.
- All post-event lobby event setup requirements (tables, catering, signage) are the responsibility of the event organizer.
Questions? Email the Arts Manager at [email protected]