Transfer Credits and Course Substitutions

Transfer Credits
Penn State allows a maximum of 10 transfer credits of high-quality graduate work to be applied toward the requirements for a graduate degree, subject to restrictions outlined in the Transfer Courses section of the Graduate Bulletin. It must be the opinion of the reviewing faculty that these courses are equivalent in quality to those offered at Penn State Harrisburg. Credit will not be given for any class used to complete a previous degree.

Course Substitutions
Because some students enter the Program with advanced knowledge in one or more subject areas, up to six credits in prescribed or additional courses may be replaced with more advanced graduate courses in the same subject area. Except for INFSY 554, which must be taken at the College, INFSY prescribed and additional courses, in cases where there is equivalent knowledge, must be replaced with more advanced courses in the same field. Substitutions are based on a minimum of six credits of advanced undergraduate course work in an area of concentration or credits earned in an equivalent graduate-level program at a regionally accredited, college-level institution. These courses must have been completed within the past five years and have earned a grade of B or better. Substituted courses must be replaced with other advanced graduate courses in the field for which the substitute is the foundation/prerequisite. Substitutions are based on past academic performance. An examination cannot be used for earned graduate course credit.

Grade-Point Average and Time Limit

A 3.00 (out of 4.00) minimum grade-point average is required for the award of the M.S.I.S. degree. All course work must be completed within eight years of admission to degree status.

This page is not a part of the official Penn State University Bulletin.