Program Mission Statement
The primary mission of the Civil Engineering (CE) Program at Penn State Harrisburg is to prepare undergraduate students for successful careers in civil engineering-related industries. Through the integrated efforts of faculty, staff, and administration, the mission of the CE Program remains consistent with the mission of the University. The Program is designed to provide undergraduate education required for civil engineering and/or continued formal education. Students utilize engineering science concepts, principles, and design techniques through coursework. Students are able to choose an area of specialization (e.g., construction, environmental, or structural) for professional practice and/or graduate studies.
Program Goals, Objectives, and Outcomes
The Program Educational Objectives are designed so that the graduates from the Civil Engineering program at Penn State Harrisburg will:
- Have skills needed to be engaged with industries or government agencies that design, construct, and maintain civil engineering infrastructures.
- Effectively work in and/or lead interdisciplinary teams in
addressing multiple facets of sustainable and resilient civil engineering.
- Have the ability to advance knowledge through professional
development and educational opportunities as well as obtain and
maintain professional licensing.
ABET Student Outcomes
The students from the Civil Engineering Program at Penn State Harrisburg will have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.