Applying for Financial Aid

Applying for Financial Aid

Students must be enrolled at least half time in a degree-seeking program in order to receive financial aid:

  • undergraduates, 6 credits
  • graduate students, 5 credits

For the upcoming academic year, Penn State Harrisburg will not require a separate application for our academic scholarships: all incoming and current students with a 3.0 GPA or higher will be considered. Only a few scholarships require a separate application; see the scholarships page for details.

Students who complete the FAFSA are automatically considered for work-study.

Students may also be eligible for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan and parents of dependent students may be eligible for a Federal Direct Parent Plus Loan.

To apply for aid, you must begin by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) serves as the single application for all types of student financial aid — federal, state, and Penn State programs. You may file the FAFSA online at Penn State's federal school code is 003329.

Deadlines and Recommendations

  • The FAFSA should be submitted by March 1 for maximum consideration for all financial aid programs at Penn State.
  • May 1st is the deadline for PA residents to be considered for a state grant (PHEAA).

FAFSA Filing Tips

  • If this is your first time filing, you will need to request a Personal Identificaton Number (PIN) at Both student and parent must apply for this number. Please write your pin number down for future reference.
  • Gather the necessary documents, including federal tax forms, before you begin the FAFSA, but note that you can save and return to an application in progress.
  • Though the online FAFSA is highly recommended, other filing options are available.

Additional Aid for Graduate Students

Refer to our graduate aid page for full details on fellowships, stipends, and assistantships.

Receiving and Maintaining Aid

Eligibility and Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must meet certain eligibility requirements to receive and retain financial aid. The Office of Student Aid is required by federal regulation to monitor a student's progress towards completing a degree or certificate program at all degree levels (undergraduate, graduate, and professional). Read the University's Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard for details, including what programs it impacts, how it is monitored, and how it affects aid eligibility.