Updated January 22, 2024
- After the Intent to Graduate activation period, a report of cumulative GPAs will be generated for all baccalaureate and graduate students who are eligible to graduate using the graduation query in LionPATH. The cumulative GPAs will be ranked by school and top five students’ names will be submitted to the school directors and assistant dean of graduate studies for consideration.
- Schools may use a range of factors in making their selection, including engagement with the department/school/university, involvement in research, involvement in leadership activities, faculty recommendations, concurrent majors and/or minors, etc. These factors will be particularly important when more than one student is tied for having the top GPA.
- Once the school has selected its student marshal (and one or two alternates) the school will contact the student to determine willingness and availability. The student must be available to participate in the commencement reception the evening before the ceremony, and the commencement ceremony itself.
- After the student accepts the invitation to serve as student marshal, they will select a current full-time faculty member to serve as first faculty marshal. The faculty member must be available to participate in the commencement reception the evening before the ceremony, and the commencement ceremony itself.
- Each academic school will appoint a second faculty marshal to represent the school at commencement. The Office of Graduate Studies, together with the school in charge of identifying the graduate student marshal, will appoint a second graduate faculty marshal. Consideration for selection will include record of accomplishments and service to the college and university. The faculty marshals appointed by the schools will be invited to the commencement reception. Faculty marshals who become unavailable to participate in the ceremony should identify another faculty member to replace them.
- Complete online student marshal information form by March 1 (for spring commencement) or October 1 (for summer/fall commencement).
To be coordinated by Special Events unit:
- Student marshals and two guests; two faculty marshals and one guest each will be invited to commencement reception.
- Student marshals’ accomplishments will be highlighted during the reception and a certificate will be presented.
- Students and faculty marshals will process during the student processional. Student marshals will carry their respective school banners, flanked by the faculty marshals.
- Student marshals’ names will be listed in the commencement program and introduced from the podium together with their respective faculty marshals.