MIDDLETOWN, Pa. — Penn State will celebrate its ninth GivingTuesday on Tuesday, Nov. 28 — and Penn State Harrisburg invites alumni and friends to participate by showing support for critical student-focused initiatives that address basic needs, along with the college’s athletic teams and campus organizations that foster student learning and opportunities outside the classroom.
Founded in 1966 as a small upper-division-only campus and graduate program center, Penn State Harrisburg today is a comprehensive college offering associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees and enrolling nearly 5,000 students. Charitable contributions play a pivotal role in the institution’s ongoing maturation and educational excellence. This GivingTuesday, the college is asking donors to consider supporting one of the following funds that uplift students and help advance the dynamic needs of the college:
- The Penn State Fund for Penn State Harrisburg: Provides resources to help advance the most pressing needs and initiatives.
- The Dr. Omid Ansary Student Emergency Assistance Fund: Provides short-term, essential funding to students in times of crisis including job loss, housing/food insecurity, unforeseen medical expenses and more.
- The WE cARE Pantry: Provides essential nourishment and basic hygiene needs for the campus community.
- Funds that support the college’s athletic programs, including men’s and women’s basketball, softball, golf, volleyball, men’s and women’s tennis and track and field and cross country.
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA): Supports business students with extracurricular opportunities, attending leadership conferences and participating in nationwide competitions.
- Women in Tech: Empowers student scholars in information technology to explore opportunities in that field, expand knowledge and promote events for women in the IT field.
Although GivingTuesday takes place on Tuesday, Nov. 28, Penn State’s celebration is kicking off early on Monday, Nov. 27, at 18:55 (6:55 p.m. EST) — a nod to the year in which the University was founded. Those interested in establishing a personal fundraising page as a campaign champion can do so by selecting "Get Your Personal Share Link” on their campaign page of choice.
“As alums and friends of Penn State Harrisburg, we all recognize the value of higher education, and the lifelong opportunities it presents to individuals and families,” said Penn State Harrisburg Interim Chancellor David Callejo Pérez. “Penn State Harrisburg is committed to successful outcomes for all students, but TOGETHER, we can accomplish so much more. Contributions from generous donors on GivingTuesday will serve as catalysts for immediate impact in several areas. Giving back to current and future generations of students is a value inherent to the spirit of WE ARE.”
Gifts made on GivingTuesday advance the University’s historic land-grant mission to serve and lead. Through philanthropy, alumni and friends are helping students to join the Penn State family and prepare for lifelong success; driving research, outreach and economic development that grow our shared strength and readiness for the future; and increasing the University’s impact for families, patients and communities across the commonwealth and around the world. Learn more by visiting raise.psu.edu.