Visa Regulation Information for International Students

Visa Regulation Information for International Students

Visa Regulation Information for Current International Students

International Student Support Services provides support to Penn State Harrisburg students. This includes advising students on status compliance in accordance to the F-1 and J-1 nonimmigrant regulations relating to enrollment requirements, insurance, program extensions, and employment. For further information on U.S. visa regulations, please visit the Global Penn State International Students page.


The employment workshops offered every semester explain the different types of on- and off-campus employment available to F-1 and J-1 students, per Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations. For more information, please visit the employment page of Global Penn State. This page also has information pertaining to the Social Security Number application process for international students.

Tax Assistance Workshops

International students are offered Tax Assistance workshops annually during the spring semester. We advise that you take advantage of this service as it is a mandatory requirement for ALL international students. For further information, please visit the Taxes page of Global Penn State.

Travel Signature

Before traveling outside of the U.S., we encourage international students to be informed of the procedure to apply for the mandated Travel Signature. Please note that international students will NOT be allowed back into the U.S. without a Travel Signature on their I-20.

Obtaining Driver’s License or State I.D. in Pennsylvania

Please visit the International Student Support Services office located in SEC-112 to know the application process. You may also visit the PA Department of Motor Vehicles for more information.

IStart Forms

Please visit iStart e-forms' page for more information.

What to Prepare When You Invite Your Family and/or Friends to Visit

If you want to invite your parents, siblings, or other friends and relatives (not your spouse or children), you need to provide them with the following so they can apply for a visitor visa:

  • Letter of invitation (written by you in your language and in English). The letter should include the relationship to you, the purpose of the visit, the time period of the visit, where they will stay and eat, and any other pertinent information.
  • Evidence that you can support them during the visit if you are providing room and board (i.e., bank statement or assistantship information).
  • Evidence that you are a full-time student by requesting enrollment verification from the Registrar's Office.
  • Copy of your I-20 or DS-2019.

Additionally, they will need to provide evidence that they intend to return to their home country after the visit.