March 4-11, 2017
INART 100 (GA) or INART 499 (IL) (3 credits)
Barcelona, located in the northeast of the Mediterranean coast in Spain, is one of the world’s leading tourist, economic, trade fair and cultural centers. Capital of the Catalonia region, the city history is a mixture of Gothic ancient art and modernist artists such as Picasso, Juan Miro, and Antonio Gaudi. During this course, we will explore the history and architecture, the two co-existing languages both Spanish and Catalan, the diversity of the art from the Gothic Quarter to the unfinished Sagrada Familia, Camp Nou home to the soccer team FC Barcelona, the music and numerous festivals, the food and pastries, etc. It is a paradise for gastronomes. Known for hosting the Olympics in 1992, Barcelona is the second most populated city in Spain.
Course Registration (for course credit)
- Meet with your academic adviser to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your adviser sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available at www.registrar.psu.edu/registration/dropping_courses.cfm.
- Contact the travel agency (contact information on back panel) to make a deposit or pay the total cost of the trip and obtain a receipt.
- Bring your signed drop/add form and travel agency receipt to the Office of the Registrar in the Swatara Building to complete enrollment.
- Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group reading, journal, etc., during the spring semester.
- Students must be free of judicial review or judicial sanction. Eligibility will be verified, and each participant grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Conduct.
Itinerary and visits subject to change without notice.
Day 1 • Saturday, March 4 - DepartTransfer by minivan or coach from Penn State Harrisburg to Newark Liberty International Airport. Check-in for Lufthansa flight #403, departing for Frankfurt Airport at 6:20 p.m.
Day 2 • Sunday, March 5Arrive in Frankfurt at 7:35 a.m. Connecting flight Lufthansa #1126 departs Frankfurt Airport at 10 a.m. and arrives in Barcelona at noon. Assistance and transfer combined with an orientation city tour. Your guide will show you the main landmarks of the city, will explain the culture, money exchange, safety and traveling using public transportation. Check into your hotel for a six night stay. Possible soccer game, schedule to be advised.
Day 3 • Monday, March 6Enjoy breakfast at the hotel. Morning guided tour to learn everything about Gaudi and the Catalan history and culture. Visit the famous Sagarada Familia and Casa Milà. Understand how different Catalonia is from Spain and what triggered their desire for independence. Afternoon for academic studies. You can visit on your own, the Miro Foundation and across the street is the Pueblo Espanol which will give you an idea of all the different regions of Spain.
Day 4 • Tuesday, March 7Breakfast at the hotel. Morning guided walking tour of the Barrio Gotico: the Roman Barcelona, The Cathedral, The Picasso Museum and the various places related to the artist such as Els Quatre Gats and Calle d’Avignon. You will also visit the Gran Teatro del Liceu. Afternoon for academic studies. Evening classical music show at Palau de la Música (admission included).
Day 5 • Wednesday, March 8Breakfast at the hotel. Day excursion to Montserrat. The group will travel by subway to the train station. Visit the Basilica, a pilgrimage center for the black Virgin of Monserrat. Enjoy the choir performance at noon. Enjoy a hike in the afternoon.
Day 6 • Thursday, March 9Breakfast at the hotel. Full day excursion by coach to Gijóna and Figueras. In Gijóna, take a walking tour through the medieval city and along the river, then proceed to Figueras where you will visit the Dali Theatre and Museum in the artist’s hometown.
Day 7 • Friday, March 10Breakfast at the hotel. Morning guided tour of the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya located in the Palau Nacional of Montjuïc. There you will see the best collections of medieval and romanesque art. In the afternoon, you may choose to walk along the beach, visit some of the other houses from Gaudi. Visit Parque Güell, another place related to Gaudi. Evening Flamenco show where you will be invited to experience your skill at dancing Flamenco.
Day 8 • Saturday, March 11Enjoy your final breakfast at the hotel before departing for Barcelona Airport for your flight to Newark Liberty International Airport via Frankfurt. Lufthansa #1125, departing at 9:50 a.m., arriving in Frankfurt at 12:05 p.m. Lufthansa #402, departing from Frankfurt at 1:30 p.m., arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport at 4:20 p.m. Transfer to Penn State Harrisburg.
If you are an undergraduate honors student, there are scholarship funds available through the honors program at Penn State Harrisburg. In addition, the University has funds for students traveling internationally. For details visit http://gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu and select the “Scholarships and Grants” link. There are also a limited number of travel awards with an application deadline of October 21, 2016 in the Office of International Programs at Penn State Harrisburg.
Please visit http://harrisburg.psu.edu/international-programs/grants-and-awards or contact Marie-Louise Abram at [email protected] for information.
All efforts have been made to choose comfortable, moderately priced hotels in order to keep the price of the trip reasonable.
The exact time of these flights is subject to change and will be reconfirmed. Check-in at the airport is three hours prior to departure time.
Saturday, March 4, 2017 - Lufthansa LH #403 Newark Liberty International Airport 6:20 p.m. to Frankfurt 7:35 a.m.
Sunday, March 5, 2017 - Lufthansa LH #1126 Frankfurt 10:00 a.m. to Barcelona noon.
Saturday, March 11, 2017 - Lufthansa LH #1125 Barcelona 9:50 a.m. to Frankfurt 12:05 p.m. and Lufthansa LH #402 Frankfurt 1:30 p.m. to Newark Liberty International Airport 4:20 p.m.
- Round-trip airfare from Newark Liberty International Airport to Barcelona
- Round-trip transfers between Penn State Harrisburg and Newark Liberty International Airport
- Airport taxes subject to increase before ticketing
- Hotel accommodations as per itinerary
- Breakfast daily
- All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees as per itinerary
Price Does Not Include
- Mandatory travel and medical insurance which must be obtained by all students, visitors and participants through HTH Worldwide. (Approximately $1.11 per day)
- Single room supplement $325
- Service fee of 3 percent on any amount paid by credit card
- Gratuities for guides and drivers while in Barcelona
- Excess luggage
- Meals not included in the itinerary
- Cost of personal items: phone, drinks, souvenirs, internet, laundry, etc.
- Passport fees (Passport should be valid until September 12, 2017)
Terms and Conditions
Celestial Voyagers' terms are based on contracts with airlines, hotels and other suppliers. The terms and stipulations mentioned below are bound by these contracts and will be strictly enforced. A passport valid until September 12, 2017 is required.
$150 of this deposit is a non-refundable processing fee to Celestial Voyagers. Your deposit will assure your reservation with the airline, the hotel and other suppliers. The deposit must be sent with a copy of your passport as soon as you register online.
Send your deposit prior to December 1, 2016. After this date, space may not be available and a supplement may apply.
Balance due no later than January 16, 2017.
All payments by check must be made to Celestial Voyagers.
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3 percent service fee for all online payments.
- Phone: Celestial Voyagers accepts credit card and e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3 percent service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: Your third payment option is to mail in a paper check or money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the "Contact Celestial Voyagers" section below.
Course registration is separate from trip registration.
Upon receipt of your deposit, Celestial Voyagers will send you a receipt that you must present at Penn State Harrisburg’s Office of the Registrar to register for the course.
If you intend to travel internationally, apply for your passport immediately. Failure to provide passport information may delay airline ticketing for our group.
Register for the trip online at Celestial Voyagers' website After registering, you must mail your deposit within 48 hours with a copy of your passport, if available (photos or scans of passports are acceptable).
- Tour # 4836
- Tour name: Penn State Harrisburg Barcelona 2017
Mail your deposit and copy of your passport (if available) immediately to:
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS11
Long Island City, NY 11101
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS 11
Long Island City, NY 11101
E-mail: [email protected]
For information, contact:
Director, International Programs
Penn State Harrisburg
777 West Harrisburg Pike
C114R Olmsted Building
Middletown, PA 17057
E-mail: [email protected]
Instructor in Spanish