March 1-9, 2024
Penn State Harrisburg – Trip ID 212021
FIN 456 or FIN 599 London
Prerequisite: FIN 301 (for undergraduate students)
The objective of this course is to provide finance students with exposure to the international capital markets, particularly in the U.K. Modern financial markets are complex and global, and due to their rapid integration, it is essential for finance students to have exposure to them. While in London, students will become familiar with the U.K. banking system and financial and derivatives markets.
Course Registration (MBA Students)
- Students that have been invited are eligible to apply.
- Contact WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs to register and pay the deposit or total cost for the trip and obtain a receipt from the agency.
- E-mail the receipt and invitation letter to Amy Jones-Atkins ([email protected]) in the School of Business, she will submit the add form to complete enrollment in FIN 599 for London Study Tour MBA elective course for Spring 2023.
Course Registration (Undergraduate Students)
- Meet with your academic adviser to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your adviser sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available online at registrar.psu.edu
- Contact: WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs to register and pay the deposit or total cost for the trip and obtain a receipt from the agency.
- Take your signed drop/add form and your travel agency receipt to Stephanie Ponnett in C114R Olmsted to complete enrollment in the course.
- Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group readings, journals, etc., during spring 2024 semester.
- Undergraduate students must have at least fifth semester standing or be an MBA student by the spring 2024 semester or have permission of the program.
- Students must be free of any conduct reviews or conduct sanctions. Eligibility will be verified, and each participant grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Accountability and Conflict Response (OSACR). Any violation of the PSU Student Code of Conduct while traveling will result in a class failure.
Award funds are available to undergraduate honors students through the Penn State Harrisburg Honors programs. The University also has funds for students traveling internationally. Students who enroll in an embedded course will be automatically considered for a $1,000 grant ($500 for graduate students) based on financial need and academic merit. A limited number of travel awards are available through the Penn State Harrisburg Office of International Programs. The application deadline is October 27, 2023.
In addition, MBA students who quality for MBA travel awards will be notified by the MBA office.
Registration through WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs is due by November 17, 2023.
After November 18, 2023, space may not be available, and supplements and/or penalties may apply.
Stephanie Ponnett, Administrative Support Coordinator, 717-948-6062, [email protected]
Dr. Indrit Hoxha, Associate Professor of Economics, 717-948-6344, [email protected]
Dr. David Buehler, Associate Professor of Economics, 717-948-6138, [email protected]
Amy Jones-Atkins, Administrative Support Assistant, School of Business Administration, 717-948-6140, [email protected]
Itinerary and all visits are subject to change without notice.
- Day 1 • Friday, March 1
Departure from Baltimore Washington International Airport with British Airways #BA228 at 8:30 p.m., non-stop to London Heathrow Airport, arriving the next day at 8:25 a.m.
- Day 2 • Saturday, March 2 – Arrival London
Upon arrival, you will be met by private coach and assistant for transfer to the St. Giles hotel. Check into the hotel for seven nights. Half-day guided sightseeing tour with a visit to St. Paul’s Cathedral, then travel by tube to Westminster and view the Houses of Parliament, Downing Street, Westminster Abbey (from the outside), and the government ministries. You will be provided with a seven-day tube pass for travel around the city. Return to your hotel. Dinner on your own.
- Day 3 • Sunday, March 3
Breakfast at the hotel. Free day to explore the city. Lunch and dinner on your own.
- Day 4 • Monday, March 4
Breakfast at the hotel. Corporate visit to Lloyd’s of London. Lunch on your own. Meet your guide at Monument Station for an afternoon walking tour of the financial district. Your guide will take you around the area known as “The City” which is a city within the city of London. Here you will see such sites as the London Stock Exchange, Guildhall, the Bank of England, Rothschild’s and many more. Dinner and evening on your own.
- Day 5 • Tuesday, March 5
After breakfast at the hotel, travel to Oxford University. Begin with a two-hour tour guided tour of Oxford. Lunch on your own. Enjoy a lecture by Dr. Martin Holmes, a well known Oxford academic specializing in political economies. Return to London. Dinner and evening on your own.
- Day 6 • Wednesday, March 6
Following breakfast, you will explore finance, investment, and the future of the British Pound as your first corporate visit, followed by lunch on your own. Today’s second corporate visit will explore London’s banking structure, lending policies and emerging investment opportunities. Dinner and evening on your own.
- Day 7 • Thursday, March 7
After breakfast, head out for today’s first corporate visit, which will involve business development strategies and operation management, followed by lunch on your own. An afternoon corporate visit will explore FinTech trends and opportunities. Dinner and evening on your own.
- Day 8 • Friday, March 8
After breakfast, a morning corporate visit addressing risk mitigation in London’s financial sector, followed by lunch on your own. Today’s afternoon corporate visit explores venture capital, angel investment, and other funding channels in London’s startup scene. Dinner and evening on your own.
- Day 9 • Saturday, March 9
Check out of hotel and transfer to London Heathrow Airport for return flight on British Airways flight #BA229, departing at 3:15 p.m., arriving in Baltimore Washington International Airport at 6:40 p.m.
*Examples of past corporate visits: JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, and London Stock Exchange
St. Giles Hotel
Central London, Bedford Avenue
London WC1B 3GH
+(44)0 20 7300 3000
The exact time of flights is subject to change and will be reconfirmed. Check-in at the airport is three hours prior to departure time.
- Friday, March 1, 2024 – British Airways #BA228 Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) 8:30 p.m. to London Heathrow Airport (LHR) 8:25 a.m. (+1)
- Saturday, March 9, 2024 – British Airways #BA229 London Heathrow Airport (LHR) 3:15 p.m. to Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) 6:40 p.m.
- Round-trip airfare from Baltimore Washington International Airport to London Heathrow Airport
- Hotel accommodations as per itinerary (Hotels in London are only available as double rooms. Single supplement of $704 is available).
- Buffet breakfast daily
- Gratuities for drivers and guides
- All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees as per itinerary
Price Does Not Include
- Single room supplement + $704
- Excess luggage fees
- Meals other than breakfast
- Personal expenses
- Passport fees - Passport should be valid until six months after return from study tour (September 9, 2024).
Visas are not required for United States citizens traveling to the United Kingdom. All international students are responsible for determining if a visa is required and should immediately apply for the visa. Please check British Consulate General New York site for visa requirements. Trip fees cannot be refunded if a visa is denied. Also, alert the International Programs office if you are applying for a visa.
Terms and Conditions
WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs terms are based on contracts with hotels and other suppliers. The terms and stipulations noted below are bound by these contracts and will be strictly enforced. A passport valid until six months after return of study tour is required (September 9, 2024).
Online Registration Instructions
Register via the WorldStrides website, using Trip ID 212021.
WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs Account Manager: Laura Gentry/ Suite 400,
218 West Water Street/ Charlottesville, VA 22902
Phone: 1-434-284-9693 (direct)
Phone: 1-844-277-2130 (toll free)
Internal Extension: 29693
E-mail: [email protected]
777 West Harrisburg Pike, C114R Olmsted Building, Middletown, PA 17057
E-mail: [email protected]
Deposit: $500 (Non-refundable) due by November 17, 2023
Your deposit will assure your reservation with the hotel and other suppliers. Your deposit can be paid online by credit card or electronic check. If you are paying by regular check, payment must be sent with a copy of your passport as soon as your registration has been made online.
Final payment of $2,900 or remaining balance due December 18, 2022. Credit card, debit card, or electronic check payments will be accepted by WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs.
A late fee of $40 per person will be assessed if payments are not received within seven days of their respective due dates unless advance arrangements have been made. These arrangements and requests must be made in writing to WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs.
- All cancellations must be sent in writing via e-mail or fax to WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs.
- Cancellations are effective on the date they are received by WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs.
Cancellations Received 31 to 60 Days Prior to Departure: For any cancellations received between January 1, 2024 and January 30, 2024, WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs will retain 50 percent of the Ground Services portion of the program fee and any airfare penalties ($1,700).
Cancellations Within 30 Days of Departure (or No-Show): Cancellations received January 31, 2024 and after are subject to a cancellation fee equal to 100 percent of the Ground Services fee and airline cost ($3,400). Course registration is separate from trip registration. Upon receiving your deposit, WorldStrides | ISA Custom Programs will send you a receipt that you will need to register for the course.