March 3-11, 2017
Cost: $2,570 (includes airfare, transfers, taxes and fuel surcharge)
INART 001 (GA) or INART 499 (3 IL credits)
This course provides a brief overview of the history, art, architecture, religion, and culture of Rome, from its earliest days until the present time. Combining in-classroom lectures, on-site visits, and student research, the goal of the course is to provide the student with a basic understanding of the “Eternal City” including its history, art, and architecture. Free time will also be available for personal exploration of the food, the culture, and the vistas of this most interesting city.
Course Registration (for course credit)
- Meet with your academic adviser to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your adviser sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available at www.registrar.psu.edu/registration/dropping_courses.cfm.
- Contact the travel agency (contact information on back panel) to make a deposit or pay the total cost of the trip and obtain a receipt.
- Bring your signed drop/add form and travel agency receipt to the Office of the Registrar in the Swatara Building to complete enrollment.
- Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group reading, journal, etc., during the spring 2017 semester.
- Students must be free of any current coduct reviews or conduct sanctions. Eligibility will be verified, and each participant grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Conduct.
Award funds are available to undergraduate honors students through the Penn State Harrisburg Honors programs. The University also has funds for students traveling internationally For details, visit http://gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu and select the "Scholarships and Grants" link. A limited number of travel awards for Penn State Harrisburg students are available through the Penn State Harrisburg Office of International Programs. The applications deadline is October 21.
Please visit https://harrisburg.psu.edu/international-programs/grants-and-awards or contact Marie-Louise Abram at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Itinerary and visits subject to change without notice.
Day 1 • Friday, March 3
Transfer by minivan or coach from Penn State Harrisburg to Philadelphia International Airport. Check in for American Airlines flight #718, departing for Rome Fiumicino Airport at 6:40 p.m.
Day 2 • Saturday, March 4Arrive in Rome at 9:10 a.m. Assistance and transfer combined with an orientation city tour to see the main landmarks of Rome. Check into your hotel for a seven night stay. Your guide will give you general information to use public transportation, exchange money, and cultural adjustments. Welcome dinner at hotel or local restaurant.
Day 3 • Sunday March 5
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel. Morning activities on your own. Take public transportation to attend Mass at Saint Peter’s Basilica and Papal Benediction in St. Peter’s Square at noon. Lunch and shopping on your own. Meet your guide at 3:00 p.m. for an afternoon walking tour of the Old City. See the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.
Day 4 • Monday, March 6Breakfast at the hotel. One way transfer to the Vatican for a morning tour of the museums, the Sistine Chapel and Saint Peter’s Basilica. Audio system and guide service included. Return to the hotel on your own. Afternoon for academic activities with faculty.
Day 5 • Tuesday, March 7Breakfast at the hotel. Morning walking tour of Ancient Rome. Combined tickets for the Forum and the Colosseum will allow to visit the inside of the arena. Audio system and guide service included. Afternoon for academic activities with faculty.
Day 6 • Wednesday, March 8Breakfast at the hotel. Full day excursion to Florence. Morning train to Santa Maria Novella station where you will meet your guide for a four hour tour of Florence. In Florence, you will see the Duomo, the Baptistery, Palazzo Vecchio, Piazza della Signoria, Santa Croce, the Ufizi Gallery and Ponte Vecchio. Free time in the afternoon and return to Rome on an evening train.
Day 7 • Thursday, March 9Breakfast at the hotel. Morning excursion to visit the Catacombs, Via Appia and the town of Ostia. Afternoon for academic activities with faculty.
Day 8 • Friday, March 10Breakfast at the hotel. Full day on your own.
Day 9 • Saturday, March 11Enjoy your final breakfast at the hotel before departing for Rome Fiumicino Airport for your flight to Philadelphia International Airport. American Airlines #719, departing at 11:35 a.m., arriving in Philadelphia at 3:55 p.m. Transfer to Penn State Harrisburg.
All efforts have been made to choose a comfortable, moderately priced hotel in order to keep the price of the trip reasonable.
The exact time of these flights is subject to change and will be reconfirmed. Check-in at the airport is three hours prior to departure time.
Friday, March 3, 2017 – American Airlines #718 Philadelphia International Airport 6:40 p.m. to Rome Fiumicino 9:10 a.m. (+1)
Saturday, March 11, 2017 – American Airlines #719 Rome Fiumicino 11:34 a.m. to Philadelphia International Airport 3:55 p.m.
- Round-trip airfare from Philadelphia to Rome
- Round-trip transfers between Penn State Harrisburg and Philadelphia International Airport
- Airport taxes subject to increase before ticketing
- Hotel accommodations as per itinerary
- Breakfast daily
- All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees as per itinerary
Price Does Not Include
- Mandatory travel and medical insurance which must be obtained by all students, visitors and participants through HTH Worldwide. (Approximately $1.25 per day)
- Single room supplement $485
- Service fee of 3 percent on any amount paid by credit card
- Gratuities for guides and drivers while in Rome
- Excess luggage
- Meals not included in the itinerary
- Cost of personal items: phone, drinks, souvenirs, internet, laundry, etc.
- Passport fees - Passport should be valid until September 12, 2017
Marie-Louise Abram, Director of International Programs, 717-948-6003, email@example.com
Professor Melanie Gardner, Instructor in Speech Communications, 717-948-6189, firstname.lastname@example.org
$150 of this deposit is a non-refundable processing fee to Celestial Voyagers. Your deposit will assure your reservation with the airline, the hotel and other suppliers. The deposit must be sent with a copy of your passport as soon as you register online.
Send your deposit prior to December 1, 2016. After this date, space may not be available and a supplement may apply.
Balance due no later than January 16, 2017.
All payments by check must be made to Celestial Voyagers.
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3 percent service fee for all online payments.
- Phone: Celestial Voyagers accepts credit card and e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3 percent service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: Your third payment option is to mail in a paper check or money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the "Contact Celestial Voyagers" section.
Course registration is separate from trip registration.
Upon receipt of your deposit, Celestial Voyagers will send you a receipt that you must present at Penn State Harrisburg’s Office of the Registrar to register for the course.
If you intend to travel internationally, apply for your passport immediately. Failure to provide passport information may delay airline ticketing for our group.
Register for the trip online at Celestial Voyagers' website After registering, you must mail your deposit within 48 hours with a copy of your passport, if available (photos or scans of passports are acceptable).
- Tour # 4825
- Tour name: Penn State Harrisburg Rome 2017
Mail your deposit and copy of your passport (if available) immediately to:
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS11
Long Island City, NY 11101
Terms and Conditions
Celestial Voyagers' terms are based on contracts with airlines, hotels and other suppliers. The terms and stipulations mentioned below are bound by these contracts and will be strictly enforced. A passport valid until September 12, 2017 is required.
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS 11
Long Island City, NY 11101
For information, contact:
Director, International Programs
Penn State Harrisburg
777 West Harrisburg Pike
C114R Olmsted Building
Middletown, PA 17057