Don Hummer, Ph.D.
Don Hummer (Ph.D., Michigan State University) is co-author/editor of, The Culture of Prison Violence (2008, Pearson), Handbook of Police Administration (2008, Taylor & Francis: CRC Press), and the forthcoming The Technology Revolution in Criminal Justice (Palgrave-MacMillan). His work, focused primarily on offender treatment and control, has appeared in peer-reviewed outlets such as Aggression & Violent Behavior, Probation Journal, Law & Policy, and The Prison Journal.
- American Society of Criminology
- European Society of Criminology
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Correctional Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Justice Educators
- Institutional and Community Corrections
- Institutional and Community Violence
- Evidence-Based Practice and Justice System Policy
- Violence Prevention
- CRIMJ 462 Comparative Justice Systems
- CRIMJ 502 Public Policy and the Criminal Justice Systems
- CRIMJ 503 Advanced Statistics in Criminal Justice
- CRIMJ 564 Administrative and Legal Aspects of Corrections
Publications and Research
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
An Examination of the Impact of Criminological Theory on Community Corrections Practice”(forthcoming) Federal Probation. with James M. Byrne.
“The Relationship between Individual Characteristics, Quality of Confinement and Recidivism by Offenders Released from Privately- and Publically-Managed Residential Community Corrections Facilities” (forthcoming). The Prison Journal. with Terrence Alladin.
“The Impact of Business Improvement Districts on Property and Nuisance Crimes: Evidence from the City of Philadelphia” (forthcoming). Journal of Urban Affairs. with Sehee Han, Goktug Morcol, and Steven A. Peterson http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/9yhIFTDk8gUcyCFJGGTq/full
“Public Perceptions of Pennsylvania Residents on the ‘Affluenza’ as a Correlate of Deviance” (2016). Journal of Crime and Justice 39(1):230-242. with Anne Douds, Dan Howard, and Shaun L. Gabbidon http://prb.sagepub.com/content/60/1/56.full.pdf+html
Selected Recent Book Chapters
- “Inmate Code and Prison Culture” (forthcoming) in Handbook of Corrections, Routledge, Taylor and Frnacis Group, New York. O. Hayden Griffin, III & Vanessa Woodward (eds.). with Eileen Ahlin and Daniela Barberi.
- “Technology, Innovation, and 21st Century Policing” (2017) Chapter 21 (pp.375-389) in The Routledge Handbook of Technology, Crime and Justice, Thomas Holt and Mike McGuire (eds.) New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. with James M. Byrne
- The Technology Revolution in Criminal Justice. (forthcoming) with James M.Byrne. Palgrave-MacMillan: London
- The Culture of Prison Violence. (2008). with James M. Byrne & Faye S. Taxman. Pearson Allyn & Bacon: Boston, MA: http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Culture-of-Prison-Violence-The/9780205542963.page
- Handbook of Police Administration. (2008). with Jim Ruiz. CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group: Boca Raton, FL: https://www.crcpress.com/Handbook-of-Police-Administration/Ruiz-Hummer/9781574445596
Selected Recent Media Interviews
- ‘What does It Mean When Cops Can Kill a Man with a Robot?’ Playboy (9-23- 16) http://www.playboy.com/articles/when-cops-can-kill-a-man-with-a-robot
- ‘Young People with Guns Contribute to Las Vegas Valley’s Growing Homicide Rate’ Las Vegas Review Journal (9-4-16) http://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/young-people-guns-contribute-las-vegas-valley-s-growing-homicide-rate
- ‘These are the Most Common Prison Weapons’ Attn: (2-28-16) http://www.attn.com/stories/6190/most-common-prison-weapons
- ‘Police Fear Protests Sparking Backlash Against Law Enforcers USA Today (9-9-15) http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/08/police-shooting-shooting-las-vegas-fox-lake-illinois-houston-cops-bulletproof-vests/71908554/
- ’Backlash Against Police Use of Force is Making Its Way into US Courtrooms’ Vice News (8-4-15) https://news.vice.com/article/backlash-against-police-use-of-force-is-making-its-way-into-us-courtrooms