Penn State Harrisburg, in coordination with local and regional agencies, will conduct an emergency preparedness exercise in its library, on Friday, September 30 starting at 9:00 a.m. The library will be closed to the public between 7:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Aldo W. Morales, Ph.D.
Dr. Aldo Morales has been a faculty member at Penn State Harrisburg (PSH) since August 2001 and is currently a professor of the Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology programs. Prior to joining PSH, he taught at Penn State DuBois. In addition, he was a Teaching Assistant and then Research Assistant at the State University of New York at Buffalo (SUNY-Buffalo)
Dr. Morales co-founded the Center for Signal Integrity at Penn State Harrisburg. Under his leadership, he obtained funds from the Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Pennsylvania in the amount of $800K, augmented later by another $200K from Center member companies. Companies that belong to the center are: FCI, Samtec, Phoenix Contact, Berk-Tek, Souriau and others. He also works closely with Agilent technologies. Dr. Morales recently obtained a prestigious Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) in the amount of $448K to further support research activities in the Center for Signal Integrity.
Dr. Morales has been honored for his technical achievements. For example, by the 2007 International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Las Vegas, Nevada with the best poster award for the paper “Transmitter Pre-emphasis and Adaptive Receiver Equalization for Duobinary Signaling in Backplane Channels.” In addition, by IEEE-Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems in 1996, for his paper “Basis Matrix Representation of Morphological Filters with N-Dimensional Structuring Elements.” He was also finalist in DesignCon 13, Santa Clara for his paper “A Rapid Prototyping of FPGA-Based Duobinary Transmitter/Receiver for High Speed Electrical Backplane Transmission.” In addition, he was honored by the Central Pennsylvania Engineers Week Council with the Technical Achievement Award 2009. Dr. Morales is also active in getting grants to support the educational enterprise. He obtained $600K, as Co-PI, from the National Science Foundation (NSF), to encourage women and minority students to enroll in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) degrees at Penn State. Dr. Morales is also involved coordinating local high school robotics competitions. Dr. Morales was honored twice by Penn State: Educator of the Year (1998) and Penn State Engineering Society’s Outstanding Teaching Award (1999).
Dr. Morales organized (or co-organized) several international conferences. He was the Technical Chair, General Chair, 2009 and 2010, respectively for the International Conference in Consumer Electronics, which is co-sponsored by the IEEE and Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). He was also the Co-Chair of the 2012 International Symposium on Consumer Electronics, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He was featured in Penn State’s Outreach Magazine, indicating that Dr. Morales “provides the community and regional industries with opportunities to expand their skills in the electrical engineering field.”
- Senior Member of IEEE
- Member of ASEE
- Signal Integrity
- FPGA Implementation for high speed applications
- Signal, Image and Video Processing
- Mathematical Morphology and Non-linear signal processing
- Neural Networks
- EE 551 Wavelets, Filter Banks, and Multi-resolution Analysis
- EE 553 Topics in Digital Signal Processing
- EE 560 Probability, Random Variables, and Stochastic Processes
- EE 568 Digital Communications I
- EE 314 Signals and Circuits II
- EE 315 Electrical Signals and Circuits with Lab
- EE 352 Signals and Systems: Continuous and Discrete-Time
- EE 453 Fundamentals of Digital Signal Processing
- EE 456 Introduction to Neural Networks
- EE 458 Digital Image Processing and Computer Vision
- EE 460 Communication Systems II
- EET 311 Alternating Current Circuits
- EET 312 Electric Transients
- CMPEN 271 Introduction to Digital Systems
- CMPEN 275 Digital Design Laboratory
- CMPSC 436 Communications and Networking
Publications and Research
- A. Morales and R. Acharya, "Statistical Analysis of Morphological Openings", IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 10, October 1993, pp. 3052-3056.
- S. J. Ko and A. Morales, "Training Grayscale Structuring Elements Using Fuzzy Sets and Neural Networks", in Robotics and Manufacturing, "Recent Trends in Research, Education and Applications," ASME Press Series, Volume 4. Edited by M. Jamshidi, New Mexico, November 1992.
- S.J. Ko, A. Morales and K.H. Lee, "Block Basis Matrix Implementation of the Morphological Open-Closing and Close-Opening," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 2, No. 1, January 1995, pp. 7-9.
- A. Morales, Raj Acharya and S.J. Ko, "Morphological Pyramids with Alternating Sequential Filters," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 4, No. 7, July 1995, pp. 965-977.
- S.J. Ko, A. Morales and K.H. Lee, "Fast Implementation Algorithm and Bit-serial Realization for Grayscale Morphological Opening/Closing,'' IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, December 1995.
- S.J. Ko, A. Morales and K.H. Lee, "Fast Recursive Algorithms for Morphological Operators Based on the Matrix Representation'', IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Special Issue on Nonlinear Filtering, Vol 5, No. 6, June 1996.
- K.H. Lee, A. Morales and S.J. Ko, "Adaptive Basis Matrix for the Morphological Function Processing Opening and Closing'', IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol 6, No. 5, May 1997.
- K.H. Lee, B.Y. Choi, A. Morales and S.J. Ko, "Basis Matrix Representation of Morphological Filters with N-Dimensional Structuring Elements", Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, Vol. 7, No. 4, Dec 1997; also Proc. of IEEE Asia Pacific Conference of Circuits and Systems, November 1996. Best paper award at the Conference.
- K. S. Choi, A. Morales, and S. J. Ko, “Design of Linear Combinations of Weighted Medians”, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 49, No. 9, September 2001.
- A. Morales, E. Boman, and S. J. Ko, “An Efficient Algorithm to Calculate the Sample and Rank Selection Probabilities for Weighted Median Filters,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, May 2002.
- Y. Kim, J. S. Lee, A. Morales and S.J. Ko, “A Video Camera System with Enhanced Zoom Tracking and Auto White Balance,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 48, No. 3, August 2002.
- Aldo Morales and Sedig Agili, “Using a MATLAB-based SPIHT Algorithm in Image Compression,” Computers in Education Journal, January-March 2005.
- J.W. Kim, G.R. Kwon, H.H. Kim, Aldo Morales and S.J. Ko, “Efficient Transcoding Technique for QoS-Based Home Gateway Service,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, February 2006. pp. 129-137.
- J. Reagan, S. Agili and Aldo Morales, “Using a Digital Signal Processor for Real Time Implementation of a Tuning Device,” Computers in Education Journal, April-June, 2006.
- S. Agili, V. Balasubramanian and A. Morales “ A Semi-automatic Region of Interest Identification Algorithm Using Wavelets” Optical Engineering, March 2007.
- Sedig Agili, David B. Bjornberg and Aldo Morales “Optimized Search Over the Gabor Dictionary for Note Decomposition and Recognition” Journal of the Franklin Institute, April 18, 2007.
- David Chandler, Jeffrey Garstecki and Aldo Morales, “Obtaining Quartz Crystal Frequencies From Deterministic Temperatures and Random Angle Variations,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 54, No. 7, pp. 1475-1481, July 2007.
- Tao V. Nguyen, Aldo Morales, and Sedig Agili, "Characterization of Differential Via Holes Using Equivalent Circuit Extraction Technique," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 8 pages, October 2007.
- Matt Lazarowitz and Aldo Morales, “Applications of Mathematical Morphology in Edge Anti-aliasing Algorithms,” International Journal of Modern Engineering. Spring/Summer 2008, Volume 8, No. 2.
- S-H. Park, H-K Kim, A. Morales and S. J Ko “Air-void Analysis System of Polished Concrete Using Image Processing,” Journal of Applied Computer Science, 7 pages, Vol. 15, No. 2 (2007), pp. 19-25.
- S.W. Jung, J.Y. Yoon, H. Choi, Aldo W. Morales and S.J. Ko “A Novel Post-Processing Algorithm for Parallel-Decoded U-HDTV Video Sequences,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, February 2009.
- A. Morales and S. Agili “Signal Integrity Challenges,” Editorial Page, Ingeniare. (Chilean Journal of Engineering) Revista Chilena de Ingeniería, vol. 17 Nº 1, January-April, 2009, pp. 2-3.
- P. Idowu, J. Atiyeh, E. Schmitt, and A. Morales, “MATLAB® Tool for Introducing Basics of Induction Motor Signature (IMCS) Analysis,” International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education, January, 2010.
- E. Schmitt, P. Idowu and Aldo Morales “Applications of Wavelets in Induction Machine Fault Detection”, Ingeniare (Chilean Journal of Engineering) Revista Chilena de Ingeniería, ISSN 0718-3305 on-line version, Vol. 18 Nº 2, May - August 2010.
- T. S. Wang, K.S. Choi, H.S. Jang, A. Morales, S. J. Ko, “Enhanced Frame Rate Up-Conversion Method for UHd Video,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 2, May 2010.
- S. Agili, A. Morales, J. Li and M. Resso, “Finding the Probability Distribution Functions of S-Parameters and Their Monte Carlo Simulation,” IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation & Measurement, November 2012.
- S. Agili, A. Morales, J. Li and M. Resso, “Modeling Relative Humidity and Temperature Effects on Scattering Parameters in Transmission Lines,” IEEE Trans. on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Nov.-Dec., 2012.
M.S.; Ph.D. (SUNY-Buffalo)
- +1 717 948 6379
- W256b Olmsted Building