Exploration and Analysis Grants for Expanded Research (EAGER) Program
2020-2021 Inaugural Solicitation
Issue Date: August 4, 2021
The goal of the EAGER program is to provide support for full-time Penn State Harrisburg faculty members to pursue external research funding opportunities. A successful EAGER project is one that results in submission of a competitive research proposal to a federal science agency or other external research sponsor. All proposals must clearly identify the external sponsor to which a research proposal will be submitted as a result of the EAGER grant. Faculty members considering submitting an EAGER proposal should contact the Office of Research and Outreach for assistance refining proposal concepts and identifying potential external sponsors for their research
Proposal Due Dates
September 15, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. ET
January 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. ET
One year from date of award.
Only full-time Penn State Harrisburg faculty members may serve as the Principal Investigator on an EAGER proposal. Faculty members may serve as Principal Investigator (PI) on no more than one proposal. Faculty members from Penn State Harrisburg or any other Penn State campus may serve as a Co-Investigator on up to two proposals. Penn State Harrisburg faculty members serving as a PI on one proposal may also serve as a Co-Investigator on no more than one other proposal. Proposals may include up to four Co-Investigators in addition to the PI. Any number of additional faculty members may be included as Senior Investigators.
Approximately $100,000-$150,000 of Office of Research and Outreach (ORO) funds are available to support this solicitation in 2020-2021. The amount of EAGER funds that may be requested from the ORO for a single project may range anywhere from a minimum of $1,000 to a maximum of $15,000. Each EAGER grant must be matched on at least a one-to-one ratio from discretionary research development funds of the Principal Investigator’s school, or from any combination of Penn State Harrisburg schools. Sources of matching funds may include salary savings, non-restricted gift funds, proceeds from endowments, research incentive funds (RIF), departmental allotments, Penn State research seed funds, and others. All proposals must include signed letters from one or more school directors committing these matching funds. Proposals lacking such letters of commitment for matching funds from school directors will not be considered.
Eligible costs may include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Academic year teaching release
- Summer salary support
- Student tuition and wages
- Staff salary costs
- Travel and meeting expenses
- Equipment user charges
- Data acquisition and analysis
- Consulting services
- Publishing costs
EAGER proposals are limited to seven single spaced typed pages using font no small than Times New Roman 12. Proposals may not exceed seven pages in length, plus attachments as specified below. The proposal components are a cover page, a narrative section, one page of references, a one-page budget and a one-page budget justification. Required attachments are bio-sketches for the PI and any Co-Investigators in standard NSF format, plus letters of commitment for matching funds from school directors. No other attachments are permitted. Specific requirements are:
- Cover page (one page): The cover page should provide the project title and names of the Principal Investigator and any Co-Investigators and Senior Investigators, along with their titles, Penn State Harrisburg schools or other affiliations, email addresses, and phone numbers. The cover page should also indicate if any human subjects, vertebrate animals, and/or biohazards will be used in the research.
- Project Narrative (three pages): A three-page (maximum) project narrative should describe the proposed research goals, methods, and plan. The narrative section must identify the external sponsors and programs to which research funding proposals will be submitted as a result of this work. A chart or timeline must be included showing how and when external funding will be obtained and the milestones leading to that funding.
- References (one page): References must be provided as end notes and are limited to one page. References must be in APA, MLA, or Chicago/Turabian style.
- Budget (one page): Proposals must include a one-page SIMS budget developed with assistance from the Office of Research and Outreach. The budgets must include the EAGER funds being requested plus an amount equal to or greater than the EAGER funds committed by one or more schools. Further, it is suggested that EAGER proposal budgets include academic year funding to cover teaching release from at least one course for the PI. Please note that the cost for teaching release is 12.5% of the faculty member's nine-month salary per course.
- Budget Justification (one page): A one-page budget justification should explain how the funds in each line within the SIMS budget will be utilized to advance the project.
- NSF Bio-sketches (Attachment 1): Provide bio-sketches for the PI and any Co-Investigators and Senior Investigators using standard NSF format (NSF formatting guidelines).
- Commitment of Matching Funds (Attachment 2): Letters signed by Penn State Harrisburg school directors committing funding from the schools equal to or greater than the amount of EAGER funds requested are required.
Proposals must be submitted electronically to the Penn State Harrisburg Office of Research and Outreach as an email attachment in PDF format to [email protected]. The deadlines for submission of proposals are September 15, 2020 and January 15, 2021. The maximum funding request is $15,000. Proposals requesting funds in excess of that amount will be considered unresponsive.
Proposals will be reviewed by independent experts with expertise in relevant disciplines and in sponsored research development. Criteria for review of proposals and the respective weights of each factor are:
- Scientific and scholarly merit of the research (25%)
- Soundness of the proposed research plan (25%)
- Salience of the research topic to societal needs (25%)
- Likelihood of resulting sponsored research (25%)
Based on the independent reviews, the Office of Research and Outreach, in consultation with the Research Committee of the Penn State Harrisburg Board of Advisors, will make final recommendations to the Senior Associate Dean and the Chancellor.