The new SHRM certification recognizes that HR professionals are at the core of leading organizational success. It is built upon one singular body of knowledge designed to elevate the HR profession around the world. It ensures that the HR professional possesses the relevant HR knowledge required for today's workplace, but it goes one step further. The SHRM certification tests the HR professional's competencies - the ability to put knowledge to work through critical thinking and application.
Fall 2020 Class Schedule
SHRM CP-SCP Learning System Review Course
SHRM CP-SCP Learning System Review – MGMT 9436
Dates: Thursday, September 17 - December 10, 2020 (no class 11/26)
Times: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Cost: $1,600 (includes required textbook)
Location: This course is a LIVE interactive video broadcast course offered at Penn State Berks, Brandywine, Harrisburg, Mont-Alto, New Kensington, Wilkes-Barre and York campuses.
Note: Be sure to register at the campus of your choice by September 8, 2020 to ensure textbook availability on the first night of class.
SHRM conducted an intensive research study to define, in addition to competencies, the body of knowledge that is relevant to today's global HR professional. As a result of this extensive research, HR knowledge has been grouped by common themes into four knowledge domains.
- People: Talent Acquisition & Retention; Employee Engagement; Learning & Development; and Total Rewards
- Organization: Structure of the HR Function; Organizational Effectiveness & Development; Workforce management; Employee Relations; and Technology & Data
- Workplace: HR in the Global Context; Diversity & Inclusion; Risk Management; Corporate Social Responsibility; and Employment Law & Regulations (U.S. only)
- Strategy: Business & HR Strategy
To further define how HR professionals apply HR knowledge, skills, and abilities, the following competencies have been identified:
- HR Expertise - the ability to apply the principles and practices of HR management to contribute to the success of the business.
- Relationship Management - the ability to manage interactions to provide service and support the organization.
- Consultation - The ability to provide guidance to organizational stakeholders.
- Leadership & Navigation - The ability to direct and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organizations.
- Communication - The ability to effectively exchange with stakeholders.
- Global & Cultural Effectiveness - The ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties.
- Ethical Practice - The ability to support and uphold the values of the organization while mitigating risk.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand and apply information to contribute to the organization's strategic plan.
- Critical Evaluation - The ability to interpret information to make business decisions and recommendation.
SHRM Instructor Profile
E. Joy McFerren, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Senior HR Business Leader
Joy is a strategic HR Business Leader with experience in medical devices, manufacturing, distribution, pharmaceutical and hospitality industries. She possess leadership, business acumen, creativity and concern for people. Her expertise in providing full-service HR support including organizational development, employee relations, and guidance to site management teams and collaborative management style makes her an effective change agent in a variety of structures. Joy has a proven ability to establish strong partnership with management teams to build environments with high performance standards and high value on human capital. Joy teaches the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP review course using the SHRM Learning System and online resources in a caring and competent manner. Her ultimate goal is that all the students pass the SHRM exam!
By attending our review course, you'll benefit from:
- An experienced, certified instructor;
- The SHRM Learning System, historically ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers;
- Tuition reimbursement (check with your company) and up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs)
The requirements have changed for certification, minimizing barriers to participation; the new exam is affordable, making certification attainable my more professionals.
For any other questions of general information about the new HRM Certification credentials, please visit SHRM Certification.