SHRM, the leading global HR professional organization, has developed the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course which provides an introductory overview of the human resource function. Whether you are new to HR or if HR is one of many roles you fulfill at your company, the program, offered in partnership with SHRM, through Penn State Berks, Penn State Harrisburg, and Penn State York covers the key HR topics you need to know. This course also allows you to network with other HR professionals. Finally, an on line component offers Web based materials to reinforce classroom discussion.
Who should take this course:
- New or junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base
- Small business owners or office managers who perform the HR function for their company
- Business managers who want to learn basic HR best practices to avoid costly litigation
- New or experienced managers interested in learning more about employee management skills
- Representative selling or supporting HR systems and services
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of US HR practices
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to learn HR as a skill for the future
Course content and materials
The Participant's Reference Book includes the printed content of the course. It addresses six key human resource management practices, compiled into one comprehensive course book for easy reference.
- Human Resource Management -- Gain a clear understanding of the HR function.
- Employment Law -- Enhance your ability to apply key HR legislation.
- Recruitment and Selection -- Develop important skills for selecting employees
- Compensation and Benefits -- Learn the key elements of a total compensation system.
- Employee Development -- Obtain an understanding of orientation, development, and training.
- Performance Management -- Discover the purpose and process for performance evaluation.
Our condensed structured format and live instruction will keep you on track, providing real-world insights into HR while learning content. This course also allows you to network with other HR professionals. Finally, an on line component offers Web based materials to reinforce classroom discussion.
- Current content to reflect the latest changes in legislation.
- Ability to create a study plan to help direct your progress.
- Mobile compatible to study on the go.
The SHRM Essentials is ideal for those who:
- Manage people and need an overview of HR.
- Perform HR tasks as a part of their many roles.
- Want to break into the competitive and growing HR profession.
- Desire to update their current HR knowledge.
- Seek career advancement.
- Recertification Credits
Professional Development Credits (PDCs)
The 15 hour SHRM Essentials of HR Management is approved for Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP credentials and is approved by the HR Certification Institute for recertification credit hours for the PHR, SPHR, GPHR and PHR-CA/SPHR-CA certifications.