Note: In addition to the general prerequisites for admission to the Graduate School, the following is required by this degree program:
The Joint M.D./M.Ed. Program requires that the student first be admitted to the M.D. program at the Penn State College of Medicine. Subsequently, the student is recommended for and applies for admission to the Graduate School for the Penn State Harrisburg M.Ed. program in Lifelong Learning and Adult Education. Prospective students can apply for the joint MD/M.Ed degree any time during the first three years in the College of Medicine.
MD Program Admission Requirements
- Graduated from an accredited college/university in the US or Canada
- Taken the MCAT
- Application via AMCAS
- Personal statement
- Supplemental application questions
- Letters of recommendation (at least two letters from faculty in science disciplines; at least 1 letter from faculty in a non-science discipline; at least one letter from college faculty, community leader, employer, other others in positions of responsibility that know the applicant well)
- Fulfilled required competencies in the following areas: Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems; Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems; Psychological, Social and Biological Foundations of Behavior; Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills; Scientific Inquiry and Thinking & Reasoning
- Criminal Background Check
- Demonstrated Interpersonal and Intrapersonal Competency
M.Ed. Program Admission Requirements
Prospective students can apply for admission to the joint M.D./M.Ed. degree anytime during their first three years in the College of Medicine. Requirements for admission to the M.Ed. portion are as follows:
- Letter of recommendation from the Associate Dean of Learner Assessment and Program Evaluation at the Penn State College of Medicine
- A curriculum vita
- A statement of career goals that also addresses how the joint degree meets those career goals
- Completed Graduate School application (see details below)
Application deadline: March 15
How to Enroll
- Access the Graduate School Online Application and log in with your PSU ID and password.
- Choose Start New Application.
- Select Degree Admission for the application type, then choose Harrisburg as the Campus, Lifelong Learning and Adult Education as the Major, and Master of Education as the Degree.
- For the Options box, leave this at the default ("I don't want to choose...")
- Cohorts begin in the summer. Select the upcoming Summer Semester when you wish to begin.
- Check the box for the joint degree program, and enter "MD/MEd" for the Program Name.
- Complete the rest of the online application, following the prompts from each section.
Note that some sections of the application are optional and may be skipped. Use the Save and Continue button to proceed.
If you have any difficulty with the application process, please don't hesitate to contact our graduate admissions specialists at 717-948-6250 or [email protected].