Penn State Harrisburg
Find the right funding source
The first step in the project lifecycle is to find funding. The goal should always be to find funding/opportunities that match:
- the project
- investigator's strengths and interests
- the school
- SciVal is an online funding solution available to Penn State to support researchers and research administrators in the pre-award stage of the funding process and is designed to help researchers find funding opportunities based on pre-populated user profiles. These profiles can be updated so that users can get email alerts about new programs.
Grants Resources Center
- GRC provides personalized and comprehensive federal and private funding information.
Federal Agency Funding (SBIR/STTR)
- The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program is a highly competitive program that encourages domestic small businesses to engage in Research and Development in an arena that has the potential for commercialization. Through a competitive awards-based program, SBIR enables small businesses to explore their technological potential and provides the incentive to profit from its commercialization.
- Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) is a program that expands funding opportunities in the federal innovation research and development arena. Central to the program is expansion of the public/private sector partnership to include the joint venture opportunities for small businesses and nonprofit research institutions. The unique feature of the STTR program is the requirement for the small business to formally collaborate with a research institution in Phase I and Phase II. STTR's most important role is to bridge the gap between performance of basic science and commercialization of resulting innovations.
- For more information, please contact Kelly Wylam, Director of Business Development, Office of Industrial Development (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Limited Submissions Program
- The Penn State Limited Submission Program manages the response to research funding opportunities for which a limited number of submissions are permitted from Penn State. The Vice President for Research (VPR), in close communication with the college research deans and interdisciplinary consortia directors, is charged with implementing the Penn State Limited Submission Procedure. For more information about limited submissions, please call the Office of Research and Outreach.
Internal seed/grant funding
- Internal funds are made available to all full time faculty. Research Council Grants (RCGs); Interdisciplinary (INT) grants, Travel for Planning Grants (PLA) and New Collaborations with the Institute for State and Regional Affairs (FCI) are intended to serve as “seed funding” for new projects by providing financial support to assess whether the project has potential for full development. To find out more, review the guidelines and application form.
- Other Penn State internal funding sources
- 5 p.m., Friday, October 14, 2016 - Submission to your School Director
- 5 p.m., Friday, October 28, 2016 - Submission to Office of Research and Outreach