Access to Facilities
All faculty, staff, and registered (semester bill paid) students of Penn State Harrisburg are eligible to use the fitness facilities, free of charge.
Upon entering the CUB, all users of the facility must swipe-in at the front desk using a current and valid Penn State ID.
Facility Fitness Areas
- Main Gymnasium — Basketball, badminton, volleyball, and other court sports. NON-MARKING SHOES MUST BE WORN.
- Racquetball Courts — Courts #1, #2, #3, #4. PLAYERS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR GOGGLES AND NON-MARKING SHOES.
- Squash Court — Court #1 is lined for squash
- Wallyball Court — Court #4 can be equipped for wallyball.
- Fitness Center — Olympic free weights, dumbbells, squat rack, incline benches, preacher curl bench, power ram sled, pec deck, assisted dip machine, iso-lat row, chest press, shoulder press, tricep extension, calf raise, bicep curl, smith machine, leg curl/extension, leg ab/adductor, multi-station jungle, various adjustable benches, speed bag, heavyweight bag, and more. Three Elliptical cross trainers, four treadmills, Cybex Arc Trainer, two Adaptive Motion Trainers, ultimate crunch bench, Concept II rower, Lifecycle upright bicycle, Lifecycle recumbent bike, small mat area, satellite TV.
- Locker Room — Semester locker assignments and combination locks can be obtained at the front desk free of charge! Penn State Harrisburg and its staff are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Equipment for use — Various equipment such as table tennis paddles, balls for all sports, racquetball and badminton racquets, wallyball net and ball, and much more, can be obtained at the sign-in desk. Patrons must sign out equipment at the front desk and are responsible for all equipment being returned to the front desk in good condition.
(Currently under construction)
The fitness 3-mile fitness trail that meanders through the lovely Penn State Harrisburg campus.
Penn State Harrisburg’s Hoverter Tennis Complex features 8 tennis courts including a tennis backboard.
Intramural Sports Fields
The IM fields are located by the Educational Activities Building (EAB). These fields are reserved for IM sports from 7:00 p.m.—midnight, Monday—Thursday. Recreational use of these fields is possible at the discretion of the IM Coordinator.
A plethora of equipment ranging from bocce ball to flag football can be signed out at the Capital Union Building front desk. Just ask, we probably have it!
Individuals may participate in any activity of their choice, outside of normally programmed or organized activity. The following activities have priority use of the fitness areas and are listed in order of priority:
- Scheduled University classes (8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday)
- Varsity team practices and competitions
- Intramural sports activities
- Sport club team practices and competitions
- Open recreation use by Penn State Harrisburg students, staff, and faculty
- Penn State Harrisburg affiliated departments, clubs, and organizations
CUB Wellness Center Policies
- Facility services are made available to those individuals recognized as members of the Penn State Harrisburg community. Upon entering the CUB, all users of the facility must swipe-in at the front desk using a current and valid Penn State ID.
- Proper dress is required. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times. Sports bras are not considered shirts. Shoes for all fitness areas must be rubber-soled and non-marking. Sandals and five-finger shoes are prohibited in these areas as well. In order to protect machinery upholstery, clothing with buttons and zippers may not be worn in the fitness areas. In keeping with the Penn State Principles, wording on clothing shall not "...compromise or demean the dignity of individuals or groups...."
- There is a 30-minute time limit per each piece of equipment. Users are expected to exit the machinery after 30 minutes even if no one appears to be waiting.
- The concept of “working-in” should be practiced. This means not sitting on equipment while resting in between sets, but rather walking around to cool down and allowing others to work in.
- Anti-bacterial spray and paper towels are available in the fitness center. Each equipment user is responsible for cleaning the equipment immediately after use. Areas to be cleaned include handles, seating areas, control panels, and anywhere else where perspiration might accumulate.
- Food is not permitted in the fitness areas. Drinks in spill-proof containers are permitted.
- Loose personal items including gym bags are not permitted in the fitness areas and should be secured in available lockers located in the locker rooms. Semester locker assignments and combination locks can be obtained at the front desk free of charge!
- The use of profanity, loud grunting, talking on cell phones while in the fitness areas, etc. is prohibited and considered unacceptable workout behavior. Students/patrons who exhibit such behavior will be asked to immediately vacate the premises and may be denied further access to the CUB.
Front Desk Monitor
This position is for interested students to work the front desk in the Capital Union Building Fitness Facility. The hours at the CUB during the semester are as follows: M - Th: 7 a.m.-11 p.m.; F: 7 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sat. 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sun. 1 p.m.-8 p.m. Applicants will be able to schedule work around their class times.
- Must have great interpersonal skills
- Must enjoy working with the public
- Must be very dependable
- Must be CPR/AED/First Aid certified or be willing to certify
- Must have basic computer knowledge
- Check people into the facility
- Know and enforce the rules and policies of the Fitness Facility
- Know the policies of the Aquatic Center
- Distribute Equipment
- Complete membership paperwork/receipts for the Fitness Facility and the Aquatic Center
- Perform the various tasks as assigned
Contact Becky Parthemore, Administrative Support Assistant email@example.com for more information regarding desk monitor jobs at Penn State Harrisburg Capital Union Building Fitness Center.
For flag football, basketball, softball, outdoor soccer, and volleyball (many positions open).
Student officials must:
- Be dependable, fair-minded and confident
- Have reasonable knowledge of sports hired to officiate
- Be willing to take an online officiating course (flag football only)
- Attend officials development training throughout the year
- Attend all officials meetings and all captains meetings
Students are responsible for attending all games assigned or finding a replacement, attending rules training as deemed necessary by the IM Coordinator, calling a fair and unbiased game, helping with equipment gathering before and after games, and other duties assigned. Students must also attend all captains meetings.
Student Intramural Sports Assistant
Students in this position serve as the IM Coordinator's proxy overseeing all officials and serving as an unbiased decision maker during intramural games.
Student IM Assistant must:
- Be extremely dependable, fair-minded and confident
- Be very well-versed in all policies and rules of the IM Department
- Have an excellent working knowledge of basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, and softball rules
- Have current CPR/AED/First Aid certification or be willing to certify
- Be proficient in social networking technology
- Touch base with the IM Coordinator daily
IM Assistants are responsible for overseeing all IM team sports contests as assigned and filling in for officials as needed. IM Assistants must also oversee all officials and serve as an unbiased decision-maker. IM Assistants must arrive at least half an hour prior to the start of the game, be at the game the entire time, get all equipment to/from games and account for the return of all pieces of sports gear, turn on/off field lights, assess the field/playing surface for safety, convene officials and team captains, oversee the check-in of rostered players, keep score and operate scoreboard, and perform other duties as assigned by the IM Coordinator and/or IM Staff Assistant.
Contact Becky Parthemore, Administrative Support Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.