Research: Public Affairs
- Criminological Theory
- Research Methods
- Neighborhood Effects
- Racial and Social Justice
- Ahlin, Eileen M., and Maria João Lobo Antunes. (accepted). Locus of Control Orientation: Parents, Peers, and Place. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Lobo Antunes, Maria João, and Eileen M. Ahlin. (in press). Protecting Youth against Exposure to Violence: Intersections of Race/Ethnicity, Neighborhood, Family and Friends. Race & Justice: An International Journal.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (in press). Conducting Randomized Controlled Trials with Offenders in an Administrative Setting. American Journal of Evaluation.
- Ahlin, Eileen M., Carol A. Hagen, Michele A. Harmon, and Scott B. Crosse. (accepted, June 2016). Kiosk Reporting among Probationers in the United States. The Prison Journal.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2014). Locus of Control Redux: Adolescents’ Choice to Refrain from Violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 29(14): 2695-2717.
- Lobo Antunes, Maria João, and Eileen M. Ahlin. (2014). Family Management and Youth Violence: Are Parents or Community More Salient? Journal of Community Psychology, 42(3):316-337.
- Ahlin, Eileen, Maria João Lobo Antunes, and Heather Tubman-Carbone. (2013). A Review of Probation Home Visits: What Do We Know? Federal Probation, 77(3):32-37.
- Ahlin, Eileen M., and Jennifer C. Gibbs. (2012). The Chicken or the Egg? The Relationship between COP Funding and COP Research. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 13(6):513-524.
- Ahlin, Eileen M., Paul L. Zador, William J. Rauch, Jan M. Howard, and G. Doug Duncan. (2011). First-Time DWI Offenders are at Risk of Recidivating Regardless of Sanctions Imposed. Journal of Criminal Justice, 39(2):137-142.
- Rauch, William J., Eileen M. Ahlin, Paul L. Zador, Jan M. Howard, and G. Doug Duncan. (2011). Effects of Administrative Ignition Interlock License Restrictions on Drivers with Multiple Alcohol Offenses. Journal of Experimental Criminology, 7(2):127-148.
- Zador, Paul L., Eileen M. Ahlin, William J. Rauch, Jan M. Howard, and G. Doug Duncan. (2011). The Effects of Closer Monitoring on Driver Compliance with Interlock Restrictions. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 43(6):1960-1967.
- Zador, Paul L., Jan M. Howard, William J. Rauch, Eileen M. Ahlin, and G. Doug Duncan. (2011). Latency Periods between Alcohol-Related Traffic Violations: Implications for Recidivism. Traffic Injury Prevention, 12(4):297-305.
- Rauch, William J., Paul L. Zador, Eileen M. Ahlin, Jan M. Howard, Kevin C. Frissell, and G. Doug Duncan. (2010). Risk of Alcohol-Impaired Driving Recidivism Among First Offenders and Multiple Offenders. American Journal of Public Health, 100(5):919-924.
- Bartholomew, Brad, Jennifer Gibbs, David Mazeika, Eileen Ahlin, Patricia Joseph, and Noah Miller. (2009). Trends in Police Research: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of the 2006 Literature. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 10(4):383-407.
- Reprinted in: Crank, John, and Colleen Kadleck. (2011). Policing: Toward an Unknown Future. New York, NY: Routledge Press.
- Varriale, Jennifer A., Jennifer C. Gibbs, Eileen M. Ahlin, Mathew R. Gugino, and Chongmin Na. (2007). Trends in Police Research: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of the 2004 Literature. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 8(5):461-485.
Books and Book Chapters
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2014, forthcoming). “Racial/Ethnic Imprisonment and the Larger Community Effects,” in Race, Ethnicity, and the Prison System – Critical Perspectives. Scott Wm. Bowman (Ed.). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2013). Youth Involvement in Crime: The Importance of Locus of Control and Collective Efficacy. El Paso, TX: LFB Scholarly Publishing.
- Singer, Jennie K., Dilip K. Das, and Eileen M. Ahlin. (Eds.). (2012). Trends in Corrections: Interviews with Corrections Leaders Around the World. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2012). “J. Edgar Hoover,” in The Twenties in America. Carl Rollyson (Ed.). Pasadena, CA: Salem Press.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2010). “Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy,” in Encyclopedia of Victimology and Crime Prevention. Bonnie S. Fisher and Steven P. Lab (Eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2010). “Secondary Victims of Homicide,” in Encyclopedia of Victimology and Crime Prevention. Bonnie S. Fisher and Steven P. Lab (Eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2010). “Shaken Baby Syndrome,” in Encyclopedia of Victimology and Crime Prevention. Bonnie S. Fisher and Steven P. Lab (Eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2009). “Mayor Marion Barry is Arrested for Crack Cocaine Use and Possession,” in Great Events from History: Modern Scandals. R. Kent Rasmussen (Ed.). Pasadena, CA: Salem Press.
- Ahlin, Eileen M. (2009). “Woman is Allegedly Raped by William Kennedy Smith,” in Great Events from History: Modern Scandals. R. Kent Rasmussen (Ed.). Pasadena, CA: Salem Press.
- National Security
- Homeland Security Policies and Strategies
- Maritime Security
- Homeland Defense and Defense Support of Civil Authorities
Peer Reviewed Article
Plant, J. F., Arminio, T. J., & Thompson, P. B. (2011). A matrix approach to homeland security professional education. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 8(2).
Arminio, T. J. & Hale, T. R. (2015). Homeland security and homeland defense in the maritime domain. In B. B. Tussing & R. McCreight (Eds.), Introduction to homeland defense and defense support of civil authorities (DSCA): The U.S. military’s role to support and defend (pp. 65-97). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Fiscal stress
- Contingent liabilities
- Municipal operating budget volatility and debt management
- Municipal bankruptcy
- State and local budgeting
- Type and timeliness of financial reporting
- State and local performance accounting and reporting
- Revenue volatility
- Infrastructure finance
- Intergovernmental transfers
- Beckett-Camarata, J. (2016) (Forthcoming) Public Choice and Financing Local Government Fiscal Reform in Albania. In Positioning Markets and Governments in Public Management. (Levine and Saldavar edition)
- Beckett-Camarata, J. (2015). Financial Condition. In Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy. Mel Dubnik, Ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.
- Beckett-Camarata, J. (2015) Capital Budgeting. In Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, Mel Dubnik, Ed.; Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York.
- Beckett-Camarata, J. (2015) Financial Emergencies. In Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy. Mel Dubnik, Ed.; Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York
- Beckett-Camarata, Jane and Grizzle, Cleopatra (2014). The Financial Crisis in Harrisburg Pennsylvania. International Journal of Public Finance and Management (14) (1).
- Beckett-Camarata, Jane (2009) Local Government Measurement and Use of Performance Accounting and Financial Reporting Data in Planning and Budgeting Decision Support: A Multi-Case Study. Public Performance and Management Review. (33) (2) December pp. 255-265.
- Beckett-Camarata, Jane (2009) The Current Impact of the Tightening Credit Market on Municipal Borrowing Costs: A Case Study. Municipal Finance Journal. Winter (29) (4) Winter 2009, pp. 77-86.
- Beckett-Camarata, J., Camarata, M. and Purton, G. (2009). A Strategic Regional Approach to Economic Development and School Funding in Ohio. International Journal of Public Administration.
- Health Human Resources
- Job Satisfaction
- Access to Preventive Care
- Comparative Health Outcomes
- Buhr, Karen. (2013) “Access to preventive care. How to Canadian and American women compare?” Preventive Medicine. 56(5), 345-347.
- Buhr, Karen J. (2012) “Job satisfaction, workplace stress, unhealthy lifestyle choices, and productivity among Canadian nurses: an empirical study.” Farmeconomia. Health economics and therapeutic pathways. 13(4), 191-199.
- Buhr, Karen J. (2011) “Is There a Glass Escalator for Male Nurses in Canada?”Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership 24(3), 86-100.
- Buhr, Karen J. (2010). “Do Immigrant Nurses in Canada See a Wage Penalty?”Business Economics. 45(3), 210-23.
- Buhr, Karen J. (2010) “Does Increasing Education Increase the Probability of Promotion? The Case of Registered Nurses in Canada” Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 41(3), 123-132.
- Buhr, K.J. (2009). “Wages and Educational Credentials for Canadian Nurses: An Empirical Analysis.” Journal of Applied Business and Economics. 9(2), 37-53.
- Buhr, Karen J. (2009). “An Economic Analysis of the Job Search Decisions for Canadian Nurses” Journal of Socio-Economics. 38 (1), 129-137.
Work in Progress
- Buhr, Karen. “How likely are Immigrant Nurses in Canada to get a Nursing Job?” Revise and Resubmit at International Journal of the Economics of Business
- Buhr, Karen. “The Experience Bias: The Case of Nurses in Canada” Revise and Resubmit at Economics Research International
- Buhr, Karen and Jean Reading. “Online weight loss support groups: A cost effective alternative to health care” Under consideration
- Reading, Jean, Heather L Stuckey, Karen J. Buhr. “Weight Loss Journeys: A Descriptive Qualitative Approach in Examining the Benefits of Using Online Weight Loss Communities to Lose Weight” Under consideration
- American Politics
- The Presidency
- Quantitative Research Methods
- American Political Economy
- Political Behavior
- Legislative Process
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Bryan J. Dettrey. “Relative Losses and Economic Voting: Sociotropic Considerations or ‘Keeping up with the Joneses?”’ Forthcoming at Politics and Policy
- Bryan J. Dettrey and Harvey D. Palmer. “Reconsidering Individual-Level Heterogeneity in Economic Voting.” Forthcoming at Electoral Studies
- James E. Campbell and Bryan J. Dettrey. "Has Growing Income Inequality Polarized the American Electorate? Class, Party, and Ideological Polarization. "Forthcoming at Social Science Quarterly
- James E. Campbell, Bryan J. Dettrey, and Hongxing Yin. 2010. "The Theory of Conditional Retrospective Voting: Does the Presidential Record Matter Less in Open Seat Elections?" The Journal of Politics 72(4): 1083-1095.
- Sue Ann Skipworth, Andrew Garner, and Bryan J. Dettrey. 2010. "Limitations of the Contact Hypothesis: Heterogeneity in the Contact Effect on Attitudes Towards Gay Rights." Politics and Policy 38(5):887-906.
- James E. Campbell and Bryan J. Dettrey. 2009. "Context and Strategy in Presidential Campaigns: Incumbency and the Political Climate." Journal of Political Marketing 8(4): 292-314.
- Bryan J. Dettrey and Leslie A. Schwindt-Bayer. 2009. "Voter Turnout in Presidential Democracies."Comparative Political Studies 42(10): 1317-1338.
- David A. Swanson, Richard Forgette, Bryan Dettrey, and Mark Van Boening. 2009. "Before, Now, and After: Assessing Hurricane Katrina Relief."Population Research and Policy Review 28(l):31-44.
- Richard Forgette, Marvin King, and Bryan Dettrey. 2008. "Race, Hurricane Katrina, and Government Satisfaction: Examining the Role of Race in Assessing Blame. "Publius: The Journal of Federalism 38(4):671-691.
- "Secondary Effects of the Great Recession" in The New Faces of American Poverty: A Reference Guide to the Great Recession, Tim Essenburg and Lindsey Hanson (eds.), Santa Barbara, CA: ABCCLIO. forthcoming
Manuscripts Under Review
- "Voter Confidence and Conditional Economic Voting: Taking Economic Uncertainty Seriously." (revise and resubmit)
- "Partisan Differences in the Distributional Effects of Economic Growth: Stock Market Performance, Unemployment, and Political Control of the Presidency. " with Harvey D. Palmer
- "National Economic Evaluations in Context: The Effects of Local and State Economic Conditions"
- "The Political Relevance of Job Growth: How Job Growth Affects Economic Evaluations."
- Race and Crime
- Public Opinion on Race, Crime, & Justice
- Security Administration
- Criminology and Criminal Justice Pedagogy
- Gabbidon, S.L., & Greene, H.T. (2012). Race and Crime (3rd edition). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Gabbidon, S.L., & Laws, T*.U (2013). Understanding public support for, or opposition to, the use of consumer racial profiling to identify shoplifters. Security Journal (accepted)
- Gabbidon, S.L., & Jordan, K. (2013). Public opinion on the Trayvon Martin killing: A test of the racial gradient thesis. Journal of Crime & Justice (available through Online First; article was cited in the Orlando Sentinel and assorted media outlets)
- Nelson, M.,*G Wooditch, A.,*G & Gabbidon, S.L. (2013). Is criminology out-of-date? A research note on the use of common types of data. Journal of Criminal Justice Education (available through Online First)
- Unnever, J.D., & Gabbidon, S.L. (2013) Do blacks speak with one voice? Immigrants, public opinions, and perceptions of criminal injustices. Justice Quarterly (available through Online First)
- Gabbidon, S.L., Jordan, K.L., Penn, E., & Higgins, G.E. (2013). Black supporters of the no-discrimination thesis in criminal justice: A portrait of an understudied segment of the black community. Criminal Justice Policy Review (accepted)
- Gabbidon, S.L., Higgins, G.E., & Bonner-Wilder, K. (2013). Black supporters of racial profiling: A demographic profile. Criminal Justice Policy Review, 24(4): 422-440.
- Gabbidon, S.L., & Higgins, G.E. (2013). Public support for law enforcement agencies’ recording arrest statistics by race: A research note. Journal of Crime & Justice 36(1): 87-99.
- Gabbidon, S.L., Higgins, G.E., & Nelson. M.*G (2012). Public support for racial profiling in airports: Results from a statewide poll. Criminal Justice Policy Review 23(2): 254-269.
- Gabbidon, S.L., & Collins, R.*G (2012). Using Google Scholar to determine the most cited criminology and criminal justice-related books. American Journal of Criminal Justice 37(1): 33-45.
- Higgins, G.E., & Gabbidon, S.L. (2012). Exploring untested measures on public opinion on the use of racial profiling during traffic stops to identify criminal activity. Journal of Ethnicity in Criminal Justice 10(1): 71-85.
- Gabbidon, S.L., & Boisvert, D. (2012). Public opinion on crime causation: An exploratory study of Philadelphia area residents. Journal of Criminal Justice, 40(1): 50-59.
U = Indicates undergraduate student. G=Indicates graduate student.
- Violence & Victimization
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
*Co-author is a graduate student.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs and Jim Taylor (Forthcoming). Comparing student self-assessment to individualized instructor feedback. Journal of Active Learning in Higher Education.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs (in press). The importance of discussing crime victimization in criminal justice courses: An empirical assessment of a new curriculum to enhance student learning. Journal of Criminal Justice Education: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10511253.2015.1074712
- Hyunseok Jang, Joongyeup Lee and Jennifer C. Gibbs (in press). The role of the national government on confidence in the police: A focus on corruption. International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, 43, 553-568. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1756061615000324
- Jennifer C. Gibbs, James Ruiz and Sarah Anne Klapper-Lehman*. (in press). Sugar and spice… and a badge and a gun revisited: The relationship between state-level conflict and women’s involvement in policing. International Journal of Police Science and Management, 17(3), 164-169.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs, James Ruiz and Sarah Anne Klapper-Lehman*. (in press). Sugar and spice… and a badge and a gun: A cross-national comparison of women’s involvement in policing. International Journal of Police Science and Management, 17(3), 155-163.
- Joongyeup Lee and Jennifer C. Gibbs (2015). Race and attitudes toward police: the mediating effect of social distance. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 38(2), 314-332. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/PIJPSM-03-2015-0034
- Jennifer C. Gibbs, James Ruiz, and Sarah Anne Klapper-Lehman* (2014). Police officers killed on duty: Replicating and extending a unique look at officer deaths. International Journal of Police Science and Management, 16(4), 277-287. http://psm.sagepub.com/content/16/4/277.short
- Jennifer C. Gibbs and Eileen M. Ahlin (2013). The relationship between fairness and police-citizen hostility. Special Issue: Professionalism & Legitimacy for Criminal Justice. Journal of the Institute of Justice & International Studies, issue 13, 47-64.
- Eileen M. Ahlin and Jennifer C. Gibbs (2012). The chicken or the egg? The relationship between COP funding and COP research. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 13(6), 513-524. DOI: 10.1080/15614263.2011.635482
- Jennifer C. Gibbs and Amanda McIntosh (2010). Bridging formal and informal approaches to increase understanding and decrease anxiety in research methods courses. ACJS Assessment Forum. Available online at http://www.acjs.org/pubs/167_2085_13678.cfm.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs (2010). Looking at terrorism through left realist lenses. Crime, Law and Social Change, 54(2), 171-185. DOI: 10.1007/s10611-010-9252-7
- Brad Bartholomew, Jennifer C. Gibbs, David Mazeika, Eileen Ahlin, Patricia Joseph, and Noah Miller (2009). Trends in police research: A cross-sectional analysis of the 2006 literature. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 10(4), 383-407.
- **Reprinted in John Crank and Colleen Kadleck (eds.) (2011), Policing: Toward an Unknown Future. Routledge.
- Leora N. Rosen, Molly Dragiewicz, and Jennifer C. Gibbs (2009). Fathers’ rights groups: Demographic correlates and impact on custody policy and women’s safety. Violence Against Women, 15(5), 513-531.
- Cody Telep, Jennifer Varriale, Jennifer C. Gibbs, Chongmin Na and Brad Bartholomew (2008). Trends in police research: A cross-sectional analysis of the 2005 literature. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 9(5), 445-469.
- Jennifer A. Varriale, Jennifer C. Gibbs, Eileen M. Ahlin, Mathew R. Gugino, and Chongmin Na (2007). Trends in police research: A cross-sectional analysis of the 2004 literature. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 8(5), 461-485.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs, Karen A. Beckman, Kristen Miggans and Michelle Hart (2006). Trends in police research: A cross-sectional analysis of the 2003 literature. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 7(4), 337-361.
- Karen A. Beckman, Jennifer C. Gibbs, Penny Beatty and Megan Canigiani (2005). Trends in police research: A cross-sectional analysis of the 2002 literature. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, 6(3), 296-220.
Book and Selected Book Chapters
- William E. Thompson and Jennifer C. Gibbs (in press). Deviance and Deviants: A Sociological Approach. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs. (2015). State legitimacy and terrorism: Implications for counterterrorism policy. In Mathieu Deflem (ed.), Terrorism and Counterterrorism Today. Sociology of Crime, Law, and Deviance, Volume 20. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Roger Matthews and Jennifer C. Gibbs (2014). “So what?” criminology. In Gerben Bruinsma and David Weisburd (eds.), Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice. New York: Springer Verlag.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs (2013). Targeting blue: Why we should study terrorist attacks on police. In David Lowe (ed.), Examining Political Violence: Studies of Terrorism, Counterterrorism, and Internal War. Taylor & Francis/International Police Executive Symposium.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs (2011). Women and policing. In Vickie Jensen and Karren Baird-Olson (eds.), Women and Crime: An Encyclopedia of Issues and Cases. ABC-CLIO Publishers.
- Jennifer C. Gibbs (2006). Domestic Battery. In Doris Layton MacKenzie, Lauren O’Neill, Wendy Povitsky, and Summer Acevedo (eds.), Different Crimes, Different Criminals: Understanding, Treating and Preventing Criminal Behavior (pp. 35-62). Anderson Publishing.
- Healthcare Costs and their Significance
- Falls among the Elderly and their Cost Implications.
- Healthcare Disparities
- The Affordable Care Act of 2010
- Global Health
- The Impact of Aging on Healthcare Costs
- Age- Based Rationing of Healthcare
- Ethical dimensions of Healthcare
- Hosseini, H. (2013). The Role of New Technology in Global Health Education. Forthcoming, International Journal of Business Anthropology. IJBA, vol.4 (1).
- Hosseini, H. (2012). The Recently-Passed Health Care Reform and its Impact on Health Care Disparities among Racial and Ethnic Minorities: Utilizing New Media Technologies to Teach It. Journal of Management Policy and Practice (JMPP), North American Business Press, 13(2).
- Hosseini, H.,& Hosseini, H.S., (2012). Ethical Principles that Make the World and its Economy More Equal. Forum for Social Economics, volume 41 (1).
- Hosseini, H. (2011). Do Health Care Professionals Find the Use of Age-based Rationing to Reduce Health Care Costs Ethical? Humanomics: International Journal of Systems and Ethics, 27(4).
- Hosseini, H. (2010). Strategies to Contain the High and Rising Costs of Health: Will they Increase Existing Health Care Disparities, are they Ethical? Humanomics: International Journal of Systems and Ethics, 26(2).
- Hosseini, H. (2009). Disparities in Healthcare and HIV/AIDS among Hispanics/Latinos in the United States. Journal of International Diversity, 2009(3).
- Hosseini, H. (2009). Infectious Agents and their Role in Coronary Artery Disease. Insights to a Changing World, 2009 (1).
- Hosseini, H. & Hosseini, N. (2008). Epidemiology and Prevention of Fall Injuries among the Elderly. Journal of Hospital Topics, 86(3).
- Hosseini, H. (2008). Resolving the Complex Health Care Quality Problem in the United States: Is the Business Model Appropriate? Business & Law Review Quarterly Journal, 2008(3).
- Hosseini, H. (2008). International Diversity and its Problems. Journal of Religion and Culture, September 2008 (1).
- Hosseini, H. (2008). A Societal Ethical Dilemma: Should We Consider Cost and Ration the Amount of Resources Allocated to the Health Care of the Very Old? Ethics & Critical Thinking, 2008(2).
- Corrections policy
- Drug policy
- Program evaluation
- Criminology theory
- Structural inequality
- Institutional and Community Corrections
- Institutional and Community Violence
- Evidence-Based Practice and Justice System Policy
- Violence Prevention
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- "Public Perceptions of Pennsylvania Residents on the 'Affluenza' as a Correlate of Deviance" (2015) Journal of Crime and Justice. with Anne Douds, Dan Howard, and Shaun L. Gabbidon: http://prb.sagepub.com/content/60/1/56.full.pdf+html
- "Treatment Programs for Offenders with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in Pennsylvania" (2013) Probation Journal. 60(1):56-72. with Miranda L. Hutchison and Alese C. Wooditch: http://prb.sagepub.com/content/60/1/56.full.pdf+html
- "Considerations for Faculty Preparing to Develop and Instruct Online Criminal Justice Courses at Traditional Institutions of Higher Education" (2010) Journal of Criminal Justice Education. 21(3):285-310. with Barbara A. Sims, Alese C. Wooditch & Kida Salley
- "Traffick Jam: A Policy Review of the United States’ Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000" (2009) Trends in Organized Crime. 12(3/4):235-250. with Alese C. Wooditch & M.A. Dupont-Morales
- "Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment among Probation Officers: A Case Study" (2008) Professional Issues in Criminal Justice. 3(1): 39-56. with Seble Getahun and Barbara A. Sims: https://kucampus.kaplan.edu/documentstore/docs09/pdf/picj/vol3/issue1/Job_Satisfaction_and_Organizational_Commitment_Among_Probation_and_Parole_Officers_Vol3_1.pdf
- "A Quantitative Analysis of Wrongful Death Lawsuits Involving Police Officers in the United States, 1995 to 2005" (2007) Police Quarterly. 10(4): 455-471. with John Fishel & Shaun L. Gabbidon
- "In Search of the 'Tossed Salad Man' (and Others Involved in Prison Violence): New Strategies For Predicting and Controlling Violence in Prison" (2007) Aggression and Violent Behavior. 12(5): 531-541. with James M. Byrne: http://faculty.uml.edu/jbyrne/44.203/documents/ByrneandHummerinsearchofthetossedsaladman.pdf
- "Myths and Realities of Prison Violence: A Review of the Evidence" (2007) Victims and Offenders. 2 (1): 77-90. with James M. Byrne
- "An Argument for Incorporating Police Internships into Liberal Arts-Based Criminal Justice Curricula: An Example of Mutually Beneficial Cooperative Education." (2006) Police Forum. 15 (3): 2-13
- "Target Hardening the College Campus Through Stakeholder Input: Merging Community and the Security Survey." (2006) Crime Prevention and Community Safety: An International Journal. 8 (2): 118-136. with Pamela J. Preston
- "'Thinking Globally, Acting Locally': Applying International Trends to Reentry Partnerships in the United States" (2005) International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice. 9 (1): 79-96. with James M. Byrne
- "Serious Criminality at U.S. Colleges and Universities: An Application of the Situational Perspective" (2004) Criminal Justice Policy Review. 15 (4): 391-417
- The Culture of Prison Violence. (2008). with James M. Byrne & Faye S. Taxman. Pearson Allyn & Bacon: Boston, MA: http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Culture-of-Prison-Violence-The/9780205542963.page
- Handbook of Police Administration. (2008). with Jim Ruiz. CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group: Boca Raton, FL: https://www.crcpress.com/Handbook-of-Police-Administration/Ruiz-Hummer/9781574445596
- Crime and deviance
- Social control
- Gender and sexuality
- Cultural criminology
- Douds, A. S., Ahlin, E. M., Kavanaugh, P. R., & Olaghere, A. (2015). Decayed prospects: A qualitative study of prison dental care and its impact on former prisoners. Criminal Justice Review (accepted and forthcoming).
- Kavanaugh, P. R., & Maratea, R. J. (2015). Identity, resistance and moderation in an online community of zoosexuals.” Sexualities (in press).
- Ahlin, E. M., Gibbs, J. C., Kavanaugh, P. R., & Lee, J. (2015). Support for restorative justice in a sample of U.S. university students. International Journal of Offender Therapy & Comparative Criminology (online first).
- Kavanaugh, P. R. (2015). Pathways on the sexual violence continuum: A lifestyles theory of victimization in urban nightlife. Journal of Crime & Justice, 38, 454-472.
- Lee, J., & Kavanaugh, P. R. (2015). Discipline, shaming and antisocial attitude in Philadelphia middle schools. Sociological Spectrum, 35, 504-517.
- Kavanaugh, P. R. (2015). The social organization of masculine violence in nighttime leisure scenes. Criminal Justice Studies, 28, 239-256.
- Anderson, T. L., Scott, B. L., & Kavanaugh, P. R. (2014). Race, inequality and the medicalization of drug addiction: An analysis of documentary films. Journal of Substance Use, 20, 319-332.
- Kavanaugh, P. R. (2013). The continuum of sexual violence: Women’s accounts of victimization in urban nightlife. Feminist Criminology, 8, 20-39.
- Maratea, R. J., & Kavanaugh, P. R. (2012). Deviant identity in online contexts: New directives in the study of a classic concept. Sociology Compass, 6, 102-112.
- Family and Juvenile Delinquency
- Crime Profiling
- Police Operation
- Public and Police
- Lee, J., Jang, H., & Bouffard, L. A. (In Press). Maternal employment and juvenile delinquency: A longitudinal study of Korean adolescents. Crime and Delinquency.
- Lee, J., Zhang, Y., & Hoover, L. (In Press). Police response to domestic violence: Multilevel factors of arrest decision. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management.
- Jang, H., Lee, J., & Lee. H. (In Press). Examination of the recent increase of rape rate in South Korea: An explorative approach. 사회와 안전 (Society and Security).
- Lee, J. & Ruiz, J. (2011). Investigating discriminative bail setting: Multivariate analysis on Louisiana drug interdiction. Journal of Ethnicity in Criminal Justice, 9, 22-40.
- Ruiz, J., & Lee, J. (2009). Revisiting Louisiana drug interdiction: Drug profiling in the Louisiana justice system. International Journal of Police Science and Management, 11(2), 236-250.
- Lee, Joongyeup. (Forthcoming). Routine activities theory. In Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Lee, Joongyeup. (2010). Substance use and school dropout. In S. Menard, et al. Inhalant abuse and related problem behaviors across generations in a national sample. National Youth Survey Family Study Project Report Number 2/National Youth Survey Report Number 61, Final Report to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 241-263.
- Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- Life Course Criminology
- Comparative Criminology
- Prison Reentry
- Liu, S. (2015). Is the Shape of the Age-Crime Curve Invariant by Sex? Evidence from a National Sample with Flexible Non-parametric Modeling. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 31(1), 93-123
- Liu, S., & Redlich, A. (2015). Chapter 5 Jails and Courts: Intercept 3. In Griffin, P., Heilbrun, K., Mulvey, E., DeMatteo, D., & Schubert, C. (Eds). Criminal Justice and Mental Illness: Promoting Community Alternatives Using the Sequential Intercept Model. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. ISBN: 9780199826759.
- Liu, S. (2015). [Book Review for The Politics of Law and Stability in China, by Trevaskes, S., Nesossi, E., Sapio, F., & Biddulph, S.]. Criminal Justice Bulletin. 51(2), 483-486.
- Liu, S., Picket, J., & Baker, T. (2014). Inside the Black Box: Prison Visitation, the Costs of Offending, and Inmate Social Capital, Social Ties and Prisoner Reentry. Criminal Justice Policy Review. Online First (Published Dec. 17, 2014). DOI: 10.1177/0887403414562421.
- Liu, S. (2013). Capital punishment with a two-year suspension: China's gateway to fewer executions. Crime and Criminal Justice International. 30(1), 1-38
- Lu, H., Liang, B., & Liu, S. (2013). Serious Violent Offenses and Sentencing Decisions in China—Are There Any Gender Disparities? Asian Journal of Criminology, 8(3), 159-177.
- Redlich, A., Liu, S., Steadman, H., Callahan, L., & Robbins, P. C. (2012). Is diversion swift? Comparing mental health court and traditional criminal justice processing. Criminal Justice and Behavior. 39(4), 420-433.
- Business Improvement Districts
- Complexity Theory
- Metropolitan Governance
- Policy Analysis and Evaluation Methodology
- Dennard, L., Richardson, K., & Morçöl, G. (Eds.) (2008). Complexity and policy analysis: Tools and concepts for designing of robust policies in a complex world. Goodyear, AZ: ISCE Publishing.
- Morçöl, G., Hoyt, L., Meek, J., & Zimmermann, U. (Eds.). (2008). Business improvement districts: Research, theory, and controversies. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Morçöl, G. (Ed.). (2007). Handbook of decision making. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Morçöl, G. (2002). A new mind for policy analysis: Toward a post-Newtonian and postpositivist epistemology and methodology. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Morçöl, G., & Dennard. L. (Eds.). (2000). New sciences for public administration and policy: Connections and reflections. Burke, VA: Chatelaine Press.
Recent Articles Published in Refereed Journals
- Morçöl, G., & Wolf, J. F. (2010). Understanding business improvement districts: A new governance framework. Public Administration Review, 70(6), 906-913.
- Morçöl, G., & Ivanova, N. (2010). Methods taught in public policy programs: Are quantitative methods still prevalent? Journal of Public Affairs Education, 16(2), 255–277
- Morçöl, G. (2010). Reconceptualizing public policy from the perspective of complexity theory and Emergence: A Journal of Complexity Issues in Organizations and Management, 12(1), 52-60.
- Morçöl, G., & Wachhaus, A. (2009). Network and complexity theories: A comparison and prospects for a synthesis. Administrative Theory and Praxis, 31(1), 44-58.
- Morçöl, G., & Zimmermann, U. (2006). Metropolitan governance and business improvement districts. International Journal of Public Administration, 29(1-3), 5-29.
- Morçöl, G., & Zimmermann, U. (2006). Community improvement districts in metropolitan Atlanta. International Journal of Public Administration, 29(1-3), 77-105.
- Morçöl, G., & Patrick, P. (2006). Business improvement districts in Pennsylvania: Implications for democratic metropolitan governance. International Journal of Public Administration. 29(1-3), 137-171.
- Russian politics and society
- Gender and politics
- Women's issues in Russia
- "Women Organizing Women in the Russian Federation." In The U.S. Women's Movement in a Dynamic and Global Perspective, pp. 151-176. Edited by Lee Ann Banaszak. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Boulder, CO (2006).
- "Preferences for Male or Female Bosses Among Russian and American University Students: The Sway of Modernity,"pp. 217-221, In Chelovek v sovremennykh filosofskikh kontseptsiiakh (Human Being in Contemporary Philosophical Conceptions), Vol. 1, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference, pp. 217-221. Volgograd, Russia: Volgograd State University, 2007.
- "Russian Women: Seeking a Place in Russian Society," Forthcoming in Women and Politics around the World, edited by Joyce Gelb and Marian Palley. ABC-CLIO Press, 2008.
- Kuehnast, Kathleen and Carol Nechemias, editors. Post-Soviet Women Encountering Transition: Nation-Building, Economic Survival, and Civic Activism. Baltimore, MD: Woodrow Wilson Center and Johns Hopkins University Press, 2004.
- Public Policy (AIDS policy and education policy)
- Political Behavior
- American Political Institutions
- Albert Somit and Steven A. Peterson, "Evolution, Hierarchy and Democracy: Iraq and Afghanistan," Chorzowskie Studies in Politics (2015).
- Steven A. Peterson, "Evolutionary Theory and Public Policy." Melvin Dubnick and Domomic Bearfield (eds.), Encycolpedia of Public Administration and Policy (New York: Taylor & Francis, 3rd edition, in press).
- Steven A. Peterson, "Values in Policy Analysis. " Melvin Dubnick and Domomic Bearfield (eds.), Encycolpedia of Public Administration and Policy (New York: Taylor & Francis, 3rd edition, in press).
- Steven A. Peterson, "Public Policy. " In Melvin Dubnick and Domonic Bearfield (eds.), Encycolpedia of Public Administration and Policy (New York: Taylor & Francis, 3rd edition, in press).
- Steven A. Peterson and Albert Somit (eds.), The Handbook of Biology and Politics. Cheltenham, UK: Elgar (under contract)
- Steven A. Peterson and Albert Somit (eds.). The World of Biology and Politics: Organization and Research Areas. London: Emerald Publishing, 2013.
- Steven A. Peterson, “Toward an Evolutionary Synthesis of Individualist and Communist Anarchism: The Evolutionary Bases of Cooperation.” Steven A. Peterson and Albert Somit (eds.). The World of Biology and Politics: Organization and Research Areas. London: Emerald Publishing, 2013.
- Albert Somit and Steven A. Peterson, "International Political Science Association's Research Committee #12." Steven A. Peterson and Albert Somit (eds.). The World of Biology and Politics: Organization and Research Areas. London: Emerald Publishing, 2013.
- Albert Somit and Steven A. Peterson (eds.), Biopolicy: The Life Sciences and Public Policy. London: Emerald Publishing, 2012.
- Albert Somit and Steven A. Peterson (eds.), Biology and Politics: The Cutting Edge (London: Emerald Publishing, 2011).
- Albert Somit and Steven A. Peterson, “Biology and Politics.” In Bertrand Badie, Dirk Berg-Schlosser, and Leonardo Morlino (eds.), International Encyclopedia of Political Science (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2011).
- Steven A. Peterson, “A Founder’s Reflections,” Politics and the Life Sciences, 30 (2011), 91-94.
- Albert Somit and Steven A. Peterson, Democratic Nation-Building: Ideology versus Human Nature. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2010, paperback edition with new epilogue.
- Albert Somit and Steven A. Peterson, “Biology and Political Science.” In George T. Kurian (ed.), Encyclopedia of Political Science (Washington, DC: CQ Press, 2010).
- Administrative Ethics
- Transportation Policy
- Homeland Security
- Railroads in American Life
- History and Development of Public Administration
- Rail Security and Safety (with Richard R. Young). Edited volume under contract with Taylor & Francis, September 2008 publication date anticipated.
- Handbook of Transportation Policy and Administration (Jeremy F. Plant, editor, with Van R. Johnston and Cristina E. Ciocirlan). Taylor & Francis, 2007.
- Irony and Public Administration Ethics: An Examination of Niebuhr's The Irony of American History and Its Relevance to Contemporary Ethical Problems. Public Integrity, 10, 3, 2008: 273-285.
- Terrorism and the Railroads: Redefining Security in the Wake of 9/11. Review of Policy Research, 21, 3, 2004: 293-305.
- Securing and Protecting America's Railroad System (with Richard R. Young). Citizens for Rail Safety, Inc., January 2007.
- Rail Safety: Targeting Oversight and Better Assessing Results. Public Administration Review, 68, 1, 2008: 137-140.
- A Classic Work Revisited: Democracy and the Public Service by Frederick C. Mosher. Public Administration Review, 68, 1, 2008: 181-184.
- Health system organization, system structure, and competitive strategy
- Geographical healthcare clusters and health population strategic positioning
- Organizational Identity (Identification) and Image (Imaging)
- Knowledge Management and Knowledge Integration
- Social Entrepreneurship and Hybrid Organizations
- Collaborative Governance Networks
Books and Book Chapters:
- Ran, B. (Ed.). (2016 forthcoming). Technological Innovation Networks: Collaboration and partnership. A volume in Ran, B. (Ed.). Contemporary perspectives on technological innovation, management and policy. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Ran, B. & & Teo, S. (Ed.) (2016 forthcoming). Contemporary Perspectives in Human Capital and Development. Volume I: Human Capital Management Research: Influencing practice and process (Guest-edited by Deborah Blackman, Michael O’Donnell and Stephen Teo). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Ran, B. (Ed.). (2013). Global Perspectives on Technological Innovation. A volume in Ran, B. (Ed.). Contemporary perspectives on technological innovation, management and policy. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Ran, B. (Ed.). (2013). The Dark side of Technological Innovation. A volume in Ran, B. (Ed.). Contemporary perspectives on technological innovation, management and policy. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing
Ran, B. & Duimering, P.R. (2009). Conceptual Combination: Models, Theories and Controversies. In Stella P. Weingarten and Helena O. Penat. (Ed.), Cognitive Psychology Research Developments. New York: Nova Science. pp. 39-64.
- Selected for reprint in Thomas Fuyin Li (Ed.), Compendium of Cognitive Linguistics Research. ISBN: 978-1-62100-751-7. New York: Nova Science. 2012. pp. 65-90.
- Selected for reprint in Carla E. Wilhelm (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Cognitive Psychology. ISBN: 978-1-62618-074-1. New York: Nova Science. (2012).
- Selected for reprint in Nancy E. Wodarth and Alexis P. Ferguson (Eds.), Psychology Research Biographical Sketches and Research Summaries. ISBN: 978-1-61470-491-1 . New York: Nova Science. 2011, pp. 401 – 426.
- Selected for re-publication at International Journal of Cognitive Linguistics. (Inaugural Issue). 2010. Vol. 1. Iss. 1. pp. 65-90.
- Hafer, J. & Ran, B. (2016 forthcoming). Developing a Citizen Perspective of Public Participation: Identity Construction as Citizen Motivation to Participate. Administrative Theory & Praxis.
- Kellis, D. S. & Ran, B. (2015). Effective Leadership in Public Sector Change Management, Journal of Organizational Change Management. Vol. 28 Iss: 4, pp.614-626.
- Kellis, D. S. & Ran, B. (2013). Modern Leadership Principles for Public Administration: Time to Move Forward. Journal of Public Affairs. Vol. 13. Iss. 1, pp. 130–141.
- Ran, B. (2012). Evaluating Public Participation in Environmental Policymaking. Journal of US-China Public Administration. Vol. 9. Iss. 4. pp. 407-423.
- Ran, B. & Golden, T. (2011). Who are we? The Social Construction of Organizational Identity through Sense-Exchanging. Administration & Society. Vol. 43 Iss. 4. pp. 417-445.
- Xu, X. & Ran, B. (2010). Familiarity, Abstractness, and the Interpretive Strategies of Noun-noun Combinations. Cognitive Sciences. Vol. 5. Iss. 2. pp. 125-138.
- Ran, B. & Duimering, P.R. (2010). Conceptual Combination: Models, Theories and Controversies. International Journal of Cognitive Linguistics (Inaugural Issue). Vol. 1. Iss. 1. pp. 65-90.
- Plant, J & Ran, B. (2009). Education for Ethics and Human Resource Management: A Necessary Synergy. Public Integrity. Vol.11. No.3. pp.221–238.
- Safayeni, F.; Duimering, R.; Zheng, K.; Derbentseva, N.; Poile, C.; Ran, B. (2008). Requirements Engineering in New Product Development: How effective are the necessary interactions? Communications of ACM. Vol.51. No.3. pp.77–82.
- Ran, B. & Duimering, P.R. (2007). Imaging the Organization: Language use in Organizational Identity Claims. Journal of Business and Technical Communication. Vol. 21 No. 2 pp. 155–187.
- Duimering, P.R.; Ran, B., Derbentseva, N.; Poile, C. (2006). The Effects of Ambiguity on Project Task Structure in New Product Development. Journal of Knowledge & Process Management. Vol. 13 No. 4 pp. 239–251.
Selected Conference Presentations:
- Weller, S. & Ran, B., (2016). Collaborative Governance Networks: Hybrid Pathways to Social Innovation. American Society for Public Administration 77th Annual Conference, March 18-22, 2016, Seattle.
- Hafer, J. & Ran, B. (2016). Power Imbalance in Collaborative Governance Networks. American Society for Public Administration 77th Annual Conference, March 18-22, 2016, Seattle.
- Qi, H. T. & Ran, B. (2016). The Entangled Twins: Trust and Power in Collaborative Governance. American Society for Public Administration 77th Annual Conference, March 18-22, 2016, Seattle.
- Ran, B., & Hafer, J. (2015). Identity Construction: an Intangible Citizen Benefit of Public Participation. Academy of Management Annual Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Ran, B., & Weller, S. (2015). Hybrid Governance: The Complexity of Organizing. American Society for Public Administration 76th Annual Conference, March 6-10, 2014, Chicago.
- Ran, B., & Weller, S. (2014). Social Entrepreneurship: The Complexity of Cross-Sector Governance. American Society for Public Administration 75th Annual Conference, March 14-18, 2014, Washington, DC.
- Ran, B. & Golden, T. (2012). Organizational Identity Construction: An Integrative Framework. Administrative Sciences Association of Canada 2012 Conference. St. John’s, Canada.
- Ran, B. & Golden, T. (2012). Who Are We and How Do We Get There? An Integrative Framework on Organizational Identity Construction. Academy of Management Annual Conference. Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
Kellis, D. S. & Ran, B. (2011). Modern Leadership Principles for Public Administration: Time to Move Forward. Academy of Management Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- Abridged version published at (2012) PUBLIC: ESADE's Institute of Public Governance & Management (IGDP) E-Bulletin (ISSN 2013-2530), volume 25. March 2012. Retrieved from http://www.esade.edu/public/modules.php?name=news&idnew=754&idissue=62.
Ran, B. (2010). Who are we? The social construction of organizational identity through negotiations. Administrative Sciences Association of Canada 2010 Conference. Regina, Canada.
- Won the ASAC 2010 Best Paper Award in Organization Theory.
- Kellis, D. S. & Ran, B. (2010). Modern Leadership Principles for Public Administration: Time to Move Forward. British Academy of Management, London. UK.
- Ran, B. & Golden, T. (2010). Negotiating Organizational Identity: a Case Study on How a University Responds to Identity Threats. Academy of Management Annual Conference. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Ran, B. (2009). An Evaluative Model on Public Participation. Academy of Management Annual Conference. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Police administration and supervision
- Ethics in policing
- Police interaction with persons with mental illness
- Police use of force
- Police K-9 deployment
- Ku Klux Klan
- Bowling, T*., Ruiz, J., & Reynolds, M*. (2008). "Drug profiling in Louisiana: ten years later." International Journal of Police Science and Management, 10(2), 222-237.
- Ruiz, J. & Hummer, D. (2008). The Handbook of Police Administration. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Burckhardt, C.* and Ruiz, J. (2007). "The Role of Citizen Surveys in Responsive Policing." Police Forum, 16(1), 1-11.
- Byun, S.* and Ruiz, J. (2007). "Corruption and Politics within the South Korean Government.." The International Journal of Police Science and Management, 8(3), 176-197.
- Ruiz, J. and Winters, K.* (2006). "The USA Patriot Act: A Review of the Major Components." In Craig Hemmens (Ed.), Legal Issues in Criminal Justice. Roxbury Publishing.
- Ahmad, J., Bennett, K., and Ruiz, J. (2006). "Juvenile Curfews: Arguments For and Against.." In Craig Hemmens (Ed.), Legal Issues in Criminal Justice. Los Angeles: Roxbury.
- Ruiz, Jim and Woessner, Matthew. (2006). "Profiling, Cajun Style: Racial and Demographic Profiling in Louisiana's War on Drugs." The International Journal of Police Science and Management. 8(3), 176-197.
- Ahmad, J. and Ruiz, J. (2006). "The Recent Increase in the use of Juvenile Curfews." In B. Sims and P. Preston (Eds.) The Handbook of Juvenile Justice. Taylor & Francis Publishing.
His research has focused on political leadership, (non)transition, security and governance. He examines entities (such as violent & non-violent groups and crisis prone governments) based on synthesis of individual leadership trait, subject matter expert and meta-data analyses.
- (with Margaret Hermann) “Leadership, Terrorism, and Use of Violence,” Dynamics of Asymmetric Conflict, Vol. 4, No 2, 2011
- (with Margaret Hermann et al) “Crisis-Prone Governments: A Study of 29 Pacific Rim Countries,” Syracuse, NY: Moynihan Institute of Global Affairs, 2009
- Traits, Gender, and Leadership: An Analysis of Angela Merkel’s Early Chancellorship”, paper presented at the Annual Meeting of International Studies Association-South Regional Conference, Tampa, FL, October 23-24, 20
- “Leadership Patterns and Political Regimes in East Europe and Former Soviet Republics” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of International Studies Association (ISA), New Orleans, LA, February 17-20, 2015
- “What Presidential Personalities Can Tell Us About Popular Uprisings in Kyrgyzstan: Evidence from Leadership Trait Analysis?” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Central Eurasian Studies Society (CESS), Madison, WI October 3-6, 2013
- (with Bruce Dayton) “Forecasting Crisis Prone Governments: Between Rational Choice and Subject Matter Experts” paper presented at the annual meeting of International Studies Association (ISA), Montreal, Canada, March 16-19, 2011
- (with Margaret Hermann and Jeremy Blumenthal) “Supreme Court Justices’ Leadership Styles” paper presented at the annual meeting of American Psychology and Law Society (APLS), Miami, FL, March 2-5, 2011
- (with Margaret Hermann) “Governance in Context: Understanding the Ingredients of Political Leadership” paper presented at the annual meeting of American Political Science Association (APSA), Washington D.C, September 4, 2010
- “Political Leadership and Leadership Styles of Presidents in Central Asia,” paper presented at the annual meeting of Central Eurasian Studies Society (CESS), Washington, DC, September 18-21, 2008
- Green criminology
- Corporate violence
- Animal harm
- Sabina, Chiara, Carlos A. Cuevas, and Jennifer L. Schally. 2015. “The Influence of Ethnic Group Variation on Victimization and Help-Seeking Among Latino Women.” Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology 21:19-30.
- Presser, Lois and Jennifer L. Schally. 2013. “Institutionalizing Harm in Tennessee: The Right of the People to Hunt and Fish. Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare 40:169-184.
- Sabina, Chiara, Carlos A. Cuevas, and Jennifer L. Schally. 2013. "The Effect of Immigration and Acculturation on Victimization Among a National Sample of Latino women. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology 19:13-26.
- Schally, Jennifer L., and Stephen R. Couch. 2013. "Catster.com: Creating Feline Identities Online." In Speaking for Animals: Animal Autobiographical Writing, edited by Margo DeMello. New York: Routledge.
- Sabina, Chiara, Carlos A. Cuevas and Jennifer L. Schally. 2012. “The Cultural Influences on Help-Seeking Among a National Sample of Victimized Latino Women.” American Journal of Community Psychology 49:347-363.
- American Government and Politics
- Information Politics and Policy
- U.S. Congress
- Library Facilities
- Scott Carlson, "Thoughtful Design Keeps New Libraries Relevant," The Chronicle of Higher Education, vol. 46, no. 24 (September 30, 2005), pp. B1-B5. Article based on 2003 sabbatical leave project and subsequent articles in College & Research Libraries.
- "Does the Building Still Matter? Usage Patterns in New, Expanded and Renovated Libraries, 1995-2002," College & Research Libraries 65, 2 (2004): 123-50; with Shawn Tonner.
- "Creating a Better Place: Physical Improvements in Academic Libraries, 1995-2002," College & Research Libraries 64, 6 (2003): 431-66; with Shawn Tonner.
- Boone, Morell D., "Penn State's New 'Cybrary' at Harrisburg - A Talk with Dr. Harold Shill," Library Hi Tech 20, 2 (2002): 232-36.
- comparative homeland security
- civil security research
- strategic and security cultures
- scenario foresight
- methods of civil security research
- disaster management, including the use of new social media
- civil-military relations in crisis management
- Homeland and Civil Security Research Studies for an Evolving Mission Space: Introduction and Overview of Articles,” in Alexander Siedschlag (ed.) Cross-disciplinary Perspectives on Homeland and Civil Security. A Research-Based Introduction. New York: Peter Lang, 2015, pp. 1-19.
- (with Andrea Jerković) “Use of ‘Drones’ in Homeland Security − A Comparative Perspective on Use of Security Technology and its Legal, Public Policy, and Ethical Aspects,” in Alexander Siedschlag (ed.) Cross-disciplinary Perspectives on Homeland and Civil Security. A Research-Based Introduction. New York: Peter Lang, 2015, pp. 128-143.
- (compiler) “Glossary,” in Alexander Siedschlag (ed.), Cross-disciplinary Perspectives on Homeland and Civil Security. A Research-Based Introduction. New York: Peter Lang, 2015, pp. 247-257.
- (compiler) “Homeland and Civil Security Learning and Research Guide,” in Alexander Siedschlag (ed.), Cross-disciplinary Perspectives on Homeland and Civil Security. A Research-Based Introduction. New York: Peter Lang, 2015, pp. 281-296.
- Politische Institutionalisierung und Konflikttransformation. Leitideen, Theoriemodelle und europäische Praxisfälle (Political Institutionalization and Conflict Management in the New Europe: Ideas, Theories, and Empirical Cases). Opladen: Leske + Budrich 2000. (= Habilitation book, Humboldt University Berlin.)
- NATO Meets the Post-strategic Condition. Political Vicissitudes and Theoretical Puzzles in the Alliance's First Wave of Adaptation, 1990-1997. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction and Münster: Lit, 1998.
- Neorealismus, Neoliberalismus und postinternationale Politik. Beispiel internationale Sicherheit - theoretische Bestandsaufnahme und Evaluation (Neorealism, Neoliberalism and Post-international Politics. International Security as an Example – Theoretical Account and Evaluation). Opladen: Westdeutscher Verlag 1997. (= Ph.D thesis, University of Munich.)
- "International non-proliferation policy and the United Nations security system after 9/11 and Iraq," in Hans Koechler (ed.), The Use of Force in International Relations. Challenges to Collective Security. Vienna: International Progress Organization, 2006, pp. 23-39.
- "Germany: from a reluctant power to a constructive power?," in Emil J. Kirchner & James Sperling (eds.): Global Security Governance. Competing Perceptions of Security in the 21st Century. London et al.: Routledge, 2007, pp. 46-68.
- "Digital democracy and its application to the international arena – from ‘deliberation’ to ‘decision’," in Myriam Dunn, Sai Felicia Krishna-Hensel & Victor Mauer (eds.): The Resurgence of the State. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007, pp. 35-58.
- Report on the worldwide real-virtual colloquium ‘The United Nations and the Information Age – Education for the Next Generation of the Peoples of the United Nations’, held in November 2007, Wels, Austria, in Diplomatic Academy Vienna (ed.): Can the United Nations be taught? Vienna, 2009 (= Favorita Papers; 1/2009), pp. 53-57.
- "European citizens’ security – a perception," The European. Security and Defence Union, 2/2010, pp. 27-28.
- "Security policy – an analytical approach," in Josef Schroefl & Dieter Muhr (eds.): From Asymmetric to Hybrid and Cyber Warfare. New York: Peter Lang, 2011, pp. 15-22.
- "Social media and citizen emergency culture: some lessons from digital democracy research," Journal of Homeland Security, Special Issue: Catastrophes and Complex Systems: Transportation. DHS University Network Summit, April 2011.
- (with Rosemarie Stangl, Diana Silvestru, Florian Fritz & Andrea Jerkovic) Comprehensive security research to contribute to critical infrastructure protection. Contributions to security governance in disaster risk reduction, in: Interpraevent (ed.): Grenoble 2012 12th Congress INTERPRAEVENT. Conference Proceedings 23rd to 26th April Grenoble – France, Vol. 1. Klagenfurt: International Research Society INTERPRAEVENT, 2012, pp. 585-596.
- "The concept of security in the EU," in Maximilian Edelbacher et al. (eds.): Global Security and the Financial Crisis. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group), 2012, pp. 51-63.
- "Foresight security scenarios to plan for research to support roles of the ‘EU 2035’ as a comprehensive security provider", Information & Security, 29 (2013), pp. 5-18.
- Cross-disciplinary Perspectives on Homeland and Civil Security: a Research-Based Introduction. New York: Peter Lang, 2015. Methoden der sicherheitspolitischen Analyse (Methods of Security Studies). 2nd edition. Wiesbaden: Springer VS, 2014.
- Scenario-based Security Foresight, special issue, Information & Security, No. 29, 2013.
- Methoden der sicherheitspolitischen Analyse (Methods of Security Studies). 2nd edition. Wiesbaden: Springer VS, forthcoming.
- Scenario-based Security Foresight, special issue, Information & Security, No. 29, 2013.
- Public affairs education
- The intersection of religion and policy
- Public Opinion Research on Crime and Justice
- Criminal Justice Education
- Institutional- and Community-based Corrections
- Domestic Violence
- Substance Abuse Treatment Programming
- Juvenile Justice/Delinquency
- Getahun, Seble, Barbara Sims, and Donald Hummer. "Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment Among Probation and Parole Officers: A Case Study." Professional Issues in Criminal Justice, Spring, 2008.
- Sims, Barbara, Berwood Yost, and Christina Abbott. "The Efficacy of Victim Services Programs: Alleviating the Psychological Suffering of Victims?" Criminal Justice Policy Review, 71(4):1-20, 2006.
- "Creating a Teaching and Learning Environment in Criminal Justice Courses that Promotes Higher Order Thinking." Journal of Criminal Justice Education, 17(3):336-357, 2006.
- Ruiz, Jim and Barbara Sims. "Citizens' Perceptions of Police: The Role of the Citizen Police Academy in the Co-Production of Police Services." The Police Forum, 14(4):1-14, 2005.
- Sims, Barbara, Jim Ruiz, Ginger Weaver, and William Harvey. "Police Perceptions of Their Working Enviornment: Surveying the Small Department." The International Journal of Police Science and Management, 7(4), 2005.
- Sims, Barbara, Berwood Yost, and Christina Abbott. "Use and Nonuse of Victim Services Programs: Implications from a Statewide Survey of Crime Victims." Criminology and Public Policy, 4(2): 361-384, 2005.
- Sims, Barbara and Eric Johnston. "Examining Public Opinion About Crime and Justice: A Statewide Study." Criminal Justice Policy Review, 15 (3): 270-293, 2004.
- "The Impact of Causal Attribution on Correctional Ideology: A National Study." Criminal Justice Review, 28 (1): January 25, 2003.
- Sims, Barbara, Kathryn Scarborough, and Janice Ahmad. "The Relationship Between Police Officers' Attitudes Toward Women and Perceptions of Police Models." The Police Quarterly. September, 6 (3), 2003.
- Woessner, Matthew and Barbara Sims. "Technological Innovation and the Application of the Fourth Amendment." Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, 19(2): 224-238, 2003.
- Handbook of Juvenile Justice: Theory and Practice; Co-edited with Pamela Preston. Taylor and Francis, 2006.
- Substance Abuse Treatment with Correctional Clients: Practical Implications for Institutional and Community Settings . Haworth Press, 2005.
Parts of Books
- "Sex Offender Legislation: Registration, Notification, and Civil Commitments." With Megan Reynolds, Craig Hemmens' Legal Issues in Criminal Justice. (pp. 195-204), 2006, Roxbury.
- "The Importance of Theory to Police Research and Practices." Forthcoming in Handbook of Police Administration, Taylor and Francis, Publisher. Expected to be in press in 2006, Edited by James M. Ruiz and Donald Hummer.
- "The Myth of Drug Decriminalization." With Michael Kenney, In Robert M. Bohm and Jeffery T. Walker's (eds.) Demysifying Crime and Criminal Justice. (pp. 54-62), 2006, Roxbury.
- "Treating the Substance-Addicted Offender: Theory and Practice." In B.Sims (ed.) Substance Abuse Treatment with Correctional Clients: Practical Implications for Institutional and Community Settings. (pp. 9-25), 2005, Haworth Press.
- "Predictors of Success and Failure in Correctional-Based Treatment Programs." With Jim Golden, In B.Sims (ed.) Substance Abuse Treatment with Correctional Clients: Practical Implications for Institutional and Community Settings. (pp. 27-37), 2005, Haworth Press.
- "Restrictive Intermediate Punishment Programming: A Community-Based Treatment Program for Substance-Addicted Correctional Clients." With M.A. DuPont-Morales. In B.Sims (ed.) Substance Abuse Treatment with Correctional Clients: Practical Implications for Institutional and Community Settings. (pp. 175-193), 2005, Haworth Press.
- "Marxist Theories of Crime." Encyclopedia of Sociology, Blackwell Publishers, Edited by Ruth Triplett, 2005.
- "Robert Sampson." Encyclopedia of Criminology, Taylor and Francis, Edited by J. Mitchell Miller, 2005.
- Life-course/developmental criminology
- Biosocial criminology
- Corrections policy
- Smith, J., Boisvert, D., Sumner, J., & Sims, B. (2013). Intergenerational patterns of offending: An analysis of high-risk families. Journal of Crime and Justice. DOI:10.1080/0735648X.2013.873731.
- Governmental Accounting
- Performance Budgeting
- Investment Administration
- Entrepreneurship and Regional Economic Development
- Stalebrink, O.J., Frisco, V. (2011) PART in Retrospect: An Examination of Legislators’ Attitudes toward PART.Journal of Public Budgeting and Finance, 32 (2), 1-21.
- Sacco J. F., Stalebrink O. J., & Posner, P. (2011). Symposium Introduction for Symposium on Flexible Budgeting, Public Finance Journal,11 (2), 1-5.
- Stalebrink, O. and, Sacco, J. F. (2011). A Contemporary Perspective on Public Sector Venture Capitalism. In Sameeksha Desai, Peter Nijkamp & Roger Stough (Ed.), New Directions in Regional Economic Development: The Role of Entrepreneurship Theory and Methods, Practice and Policy. Edward Elgar Publishing Limited: Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA.
- Plant, J., Stalebrink, O.J., Vasavada, T. B. (2010). Public Values, Public Official Associations and Professionalism: A Cross-National Analysis. American Review of Public Administration, 40 (6), 722-741.
- Stalebrink, O.J., Kriz, K., Wendy, G. (2010). Prudent Public Sector Investing and Modern Portfolio Theory: An Examination of Public Defined Benefits Plans. Journal of Public Budgeting and Finance, 30 (11), 28-46.
- Sacco, J. F., Stalebrink, O.J. (2010). Governmental Accounting, Global Markets and Ideologies: A Historical Study of U.S. State and Local Practices, 22 (1), 112-133.
- Stalebrink, O. J., & Sacco, J. (2010). Symposium introduction to the Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting and Financial Management, 22 (1), 47-51.
- Stalebrink, O. J. (2009). National performance mandates and intergovernmental collaboration: An examination of the program assessment rating tool (PART), American Review of Public Administration, 39 (6), 619-639.
- Sacco, J. F., Stalebrink, O. J., & Bushee, G. (2009). SOX and NGOs: Promises and pitfalls. In Evan M. Berman (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, 2nd Edition (pp. 1-7). Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.
- Stalebrink. O. J. (2008). Infrastructure reporting in small and rural local governments: The case of West Virginia. In A. Amekudzi & S. McNeil (Eds) Infrastructure reporting and asset management: Best practices and opportunities (pp. 99-107). American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Special Publication.
- Frisco, V., & Stalebrink, O. J. (2008). Congressional use of the Program Assessment Rating Tool, Journal of Public Budgeting & Finance, 28 (2), 1-19.
- Stalebrink, O. J. (2007). An investigation of discretionary accruals and surplus-deficit management: Evidence from Swedish municipalities, Financial Accountability and Management, 23 (4), 441-458.
- Stalebrink, O. J., & Sacco, J. F. (2007). Rationalization of financial statement fraud in government: An Austrian perspective, Critical Perspectives on Accounting (CPA), 18 (4), 489-507.
- Stalebrink, O. J., & Sacco, J. F. (2006). Public sector investment failures: Theoretical contributions from new institutional and Austrian economic theory, Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting and Financial Management, 18 (3), 351-375.
- Bushee, G., Sacco, J. F., & Stalebrink, O. J. (2006). The role of institutions of private property rights and money in entrepreneurial discovery. In I. Johansson (Ed.) Entrepreneurship and development: Local processes and global patterns (pp. 183-195). Trollhättan, Sweden: University West.
- Stalebrink, O. J., & Gifford, J. L. (2005). Transportation asset management. In K. Button & D. Hensher (Eds) Handbooks in transport – Volume 6: Handbook of transport strategy, policy and institutions (pp. 275-283).Elsevier Science, Ltd.
- Stalebrink, O. J., (2004). The Hayek and Mises Controversy: Bridging differences, Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics, 7 (1), 27-38.
- Stalebrink, O. J., & Sacco, J. F. (2003). An ‘Austrian’ perspective on commercial accounting practices in the public sector, Accounting Forum, 23, 339-358. Candidate initiated this project idea and wrote the initial draft. Candidate contributed 85%.
- Sacco, J. F., & Stalebrink, O. J. (2003). Adding economic and information theory to technique – The case of using the Uniform Chart of Accounts for building entrepreneurial nonprofit organizations. In M. Khosrowpour (Ed.) Information technology and organizations: Trends, issues, challenges and solutions, Volume 2 (pp. 986-989). Idea Group Publishing.
- Gifford, J. L., & Stalebrink, O. J. (2002), Remaking transportation organizations for the 21st Century: Consortia and the value of organizational learning, Transportation Research Part A Policy and Practice, 36 (7), 645-657.
- Gifford, J. L., & Stalebrink, O. J. (2002). ITS standardisation: Lessons from the consortium approach, International Journal of Technology, Policy and Management, 1 (3), 56-71.
- Gifford, J. L., & Stalebrink, O. J. (2001). Transportation demand management. In K. Button & D. Hensher (Ed.) Handbooks in transport – Volume 3: Transport systems and traffic control (pp. 199-208). Elsevier Sciences, Ltd.
- Stalebrink, O. J., & Gifford, J. L. (2000). Transportation asset management: The value of enterprise-based financial reporting, Transportation Research Record, 1729, 51-56.
- Foreign policy
- Turkish politics
- European politics
- Middle Eastern Politics
Linden et al., 2011. Turkey and its Neighbors: Foreign Relations in Transition. Boulder, Lynne-Rienner (co-authored with Ronald Linden, Ahmet Evin, Kemal Kirisçi, Thomas Straubhaar, Nathalie Tocci and Joshua Walker).
Academic Journal Articles
Tolay, Juliette, 2014 (in press).“Deconstructing Turkish Public Attitudes Towards Refugees: Empowering Rights Over Politicization and Self-Gratification,” USAK yearbook of Politics and International Relations.
Tolay, Juliette, 2012. “Discovering Immigration into Turkey: the Emergence of a Dynamic Field,” International Migration.
Tolay, Juliette, 2009. “The Missed Dialogues of the Euro-Turkish Relationship,“ Journal of Global Initiatives: Special Edition on the Alliance of Civilizations, 4(2): 75-94.
Sargnon, Juliette, 2002. “La Turquie dans les politiques européenne et américaine”, in CEMOTI (Cahiers d'études sur la Méditerranée orientale et le monde turco-iranien), n°33.
Tolay, Juliette, 2014. “The legal and institutional framework of asylum policy in Turkey: towards more protection?” in Baklacıoğlu and Özer, Migration, Asylum, and Refugees in Turkey: Studies in the Control of Population at the Southeastern Borders of the EU, Edwin Mellen Press.
Tolay, Juliette, 2012. “Turkey’s “Critical Europeanization:” Evidence from Turkey’s Immigration Policies,” in Elitok and Straubhaar, Turkey, Migration and the EU: Potentials, Challenges and Opportunities, HWWI Publications.
Tolay, Juliette, 2011. “Turkey’s critical Europeanization: ‘For the European Union, despite the European Union’?” in Kanat, Üstün and Yılmaz, History, Politics and Foreign Policy in Turkey. Ankara: SETA Publications, 194-210.
Tolay, Juliette and Ronald H. Linden, 2011. “Introduction: Understanding Turkey’s Relations with its Neighbors,” in Linden et al. Turkey and its Neighbors: Foreign Relations in Transition. Boulder, Lynne-Rienner, 1-11.
Tolay, Juliette, 2011. “Coming and Going: Understanding Changes in Turkish Foreign Policy through Migration,” in Linden et al. Turkey and its Neighbors: Foreign Relations in Transition. Boulder, Lynne-Rienner, 119-143.
Tolay, Juliette, 2011. “From City to City: Refugees’ Daily Strategies to Deal with Poverty in Turkey,” Edited Collections of International Symposium on Poverty Alleviation Strategies, 439-450.
Tolay, Juliette, 2011. “Türkiye'de Mültecilere Yönelik Söylemler ve Söylemlerin Politikalara Etkisi,” [Discourses on Refugees in Turkey and their impact on policies] in Çelebi, Özçürümez and Türkay (eds.) İltica, Uluslararası Göç ve Vatansızlık: Kuram, Gözlem ve Politika [Asylum, International Migration and Statelessness: Theory, Observations, Policies], UNHCR publications, 201-213.
Tolay, Juliette, 2014.“The EU and Turkey’s Asylum Policies in Light of the Syrian Crisis,” Global Turkey in Europe, Policy Brief 10, January, http://www.iai.it/pdf/GTE/GTE_PB_10.pdf
Evin, Ahmet et al. 2010. “Getting to Zero: Turkey, the West and its Neighbors,” Transatlantic Academy, http://www.transatlanticacademy.org/publications/getting-zero-turkey-its...
Tolay, Juliette, 2005. “From Russia to Tajikistan: a story of deportations of Tajik Labour Migrants”, IOM report, March.
Berg et al. 2004. “Towards reconciliation. An Evaluation of IOM’s Integrated Project for the Return and Reintegration of 500 LRA Reporters Through Information, Counseling and Referral Services (ICRS)”, IOM report, June.
- Nonprofit management
- Gender issues in management
- Disaster management
- Social network analysis
- Vasavada, T. (2014). Women leaders and management of public relations in the nonprofit organizations. Asia Pacific Journal of Management and Entrepreneurship, 3(1), 1-19.
- Morçöl, G., Vasavada, T., & Kim, S. (2014). Business Improvement Districts in Urban Governance A Longitudinal Case Study. Administration & Society, 46(7), 796-824.
- Vasavada, T. (2014). Corruption: A challenge for effective democratic governance in India. In Goktug Morcol and Gedeon Mudacumura (eds.), Challenges to democratic governance in developing country. USA: Springer.
- Vasavada, T. (2013) Managing disaster networks in India: A study of structure and effectiveness. Public Management Review, 15(3), 363-382.
- Goktug M., Vasavada T., and Kim S.,(Forthcoming, 2013) Business improvement district in urban governance: A longitudinal case study. Administration & Society, Published Online January 2013, DOI: 10.1177/0095399712473985
- Vasavada, T. (2012). A cultural feminist perspective on leadership in nonprofit organizations: A case of women leaders in India. Public Administration Quarterly, (36) 4, 462-503.
- Vasavada, T. B., & Kim S. (2011) Network Governance: A case of disaster management. NITTE Management Review. Justice K.S. Hegde Institute of Management, 5(1), 70-89.
- Vasavada T. B. (2010) Book Review: Social equity and public administration: Origins, developments, and applications by. H. George Frederickson. American Review of Public Administration.41(5), 592-597.
- Plant, J., Stalebrink, O., & Vasavada, T. B. (2010). Public values, public official associations and professionalism: A cross-national analysis. American Review of Public Administration.
- Vasavada, T. B. (2009). A study of leadership styles of women leaders of nonprofitorganizations in India. NITTE Management Review. Justice K.S. Hegde Institute of Management, 3(1), 39-50.
- Allison, L., Chen, X., Flanigan, S., Keyes-Williams, J., Vasavada, T., & Saidel, J. (2007).Toward doctoral education in nonprofit and philanthropic studies. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 36, 51S-63S.
- Gil-García, R., & Vasavada, T. (2006). Visiting a Hindu temple: A description of a subjective experience and some preliminary interpretations. Ciencia Ergo Sum, 13, 81-89.
- American Politics: public opinion, polling, voting, elections, American legal systems and constitutional law
- Quantitative Political Methodology: survey and experimental research methodology
- Political History: American legal history, Western political development
- Kelly-Woessner, April and Matthew Woessner. 2008. "Conflict in the Classroom: Considering the Effects of Partisan Difference on Political Education." Journal of Political Science Education. Volume 4. Number 3.
- Woessner, Matthew and April Kelly-Woessner 2008. "Why Conservative Don't Get Doctorates" in Reforming the Politically Correct University, Ed Robert Maranto, et al. Published by the American Enterprise Institute.
- Ruiz, Jim and Matthew Woessner. 2006. "Profiling, Cajun Style: Exposing Racial and Demographic Profiling in Louisiana's War on Drugs." International Journal of Police Science & Management, Volume 8, Number 3, p176-197.
- Kelly-Woessner, April and Matthew Woessner. 2006. "My Professor is a Partisan Hack: How Perceptions of a Professor's Political Views Affect Student Course Evaluations." PS: Political Science and Politics. Volume 39. Number 3. Pages 495-501.
- Woessner, Matthew and April Kelly-Woessner. 2006. "Politics in the Classroom" FrontPageMagazine.com, http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=22808, June 8, 2006
- Woessner, Matthew and April Kelly-Woessner. 2006. "Reparations and Race Relations in America: An Experimental test of Group Conflict Theory." Politics and Policy. Volume 34, Number 1
Professor Ziegenfuss’ current teaching, research and consulting interests focus on two themes:
- Strategy/strategic planning, particularly formation process
- Quality management/customer service – through organizational design.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. Building external systems competencies of healthcare chief information officers, Paper presented at 20th Anniversary Meeting, International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and Cybernetics, Baden Baden, Germany, July. Published in proceedings, 2008.
- Pees, R.C.; Shoop, G.H.; Ziegenfuss, JT; Organizational Consciousness. J. Health Organization & Management. In press, 2008.
- Ziegenfuss, James T. Customer Friendly: The Organizational Architecture of Service. Rowman & Littlefield/University Press, May 2007. (CHOICE award; IIAS award)
- Ziegenfuss, James T. Strategic Planning: Cases, Concepts, & Lessons. Rowman & Littlefield/University Press. October, 2006.
- Ziegenfuss, James T. Organization and Management Problem Solving: A Systems and Consulting Approach, Sage: 2002.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. Building Citizen Participation: The Purposes, Tools and Impact of Involvement. Monograph - Second Prize, Monograph Competition Essays on Public Administration Reform XIV International Congress Center for Latin American Development Administration. Santo Domingo, October 2000. Published 2001.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "Systems Thinking and Quality Management." American Journal of Medical Quality 18(4), July/August 2003.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "On Patient Satisfaction Surveys." American Journal Medical Quality 18(6), November/December 2003.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. Diagnosing and Improving Trauma Services Using Organization and Management Systems Thinking. Paper for Institute for Advanced Studies in Cybernetics and Systems Research. Baden Baden Germany. August 2004.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "Litigation as a Quality Improvement Tool." American Journal Medical Quality 19(2), March/April 2004.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "The Missing Integration of Disciplines in Quality Management." American Journal Medical Quality 19(3), May/June 2004.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "Assessing the Quality of Medical Organization and Management." American Journal of Medical Quality 19(4), July/August 2004.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "Health Care Quality: The System Components of Continuity." Paper present at 17th International Conference on System Research, Informatics and Cybernetics. Baden Baden Germany. August 2005. Published in proceedings.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "Teaching the Interdisciplinary Nature of Quality." American Journal of Medical Quality 20(2), March/April 2005.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "Systems Thinking Engineers Solve Productivity Problem." Environmental Engineer 2005.
- Ziegenfuss, J.T. "On Teaching Quality Management with Disciplinary Separation." American Journal of Medical Quality 21(2), March/April 2006.