Certificate Program in Homeland Security
Penn State Harrisburg offers convenient options for practitioners in homeland security and related fields to obtain graduate level academic credentials, continuing education, and professional development, with the Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security.
Homeland Security Certificate Choices
- Study on campus at Penn State Harrisburg and complete the certificate in one year.
- Mix online and on campus courses to complete the certificate.
- Complete the certificate completely online.
- Pursue the certificate alone, or as part of the online graduate degree program, the Master of Professional Studies in Homeland Security. The certificate program is an attractive option for students considering the complete degree program, as the 12 credits earned in the homeland security certificate may be applied toward the 33-credit master’s degree base program.
Homeland Security Certificate Areas of Emphasis
The Homeland Security Certificate program focuses on the origins and organization of the homeland security enterprise and the roles and responsibilities of key agencies and partners at federal, state, and local levels, and from the private sector. Students will apply the knowledge gained to solve current practical problems based on an all-hazards and whole-community approach.
The program is interdisciplinary in nature and allows students to develop knowledge and skills in areas such as:
- homeland security
- defense support of civil authorities
- homeland defense
- national preparedness
- emergency management and resilience to disasters
- critical infrastructure protection
- national security law, policy, and strategy
- education and training