Certification Program in Secondary (7-12) Special Education
- 1. Program Requirements for Admission
- 2. Other Questions
- 3. Program Requirements
- 4. Education Course Requirements (15 Credits Required)
- 5. Special Education Course Requirements (14 Credits)
- 6. Clinical Practice
- 7. Teacher Education Forms and Handbooks
The certification program in Secondary (7-12) Special Education is designed for an individual who holds a grade level 7-12 Instructional I or II certificate in a content area (Biology, Chemistry, Earth & Space Science, English, General Science, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies) or Reading Specialist and wants to become certified to teach Special Education in Pennsylvania secondary schools (grades 7-12). The program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Students who successfully complete the requirements will be recommended for the Secondary (7-12) Special Education teaching certificate. Course work is required in both education and special education.
Degree Conferred: Certification only
Program Requirements for Admission
|GPA||3.0 or higher in the last 60 credits (approximately)|
Deadline for Application
This program has rolling admission, that is, no specific deadline. Note that it may take 4-6 weeks to receive transcripts and process an application.
Gather supporting materials and begin the standard graduate application.
If you have additional questions, please contact Graduate Admissions, 717-948-6250, or the School of Behavioral Sciences and Education, 717-948-6213.
The Secondary Special Education certification program requires students to complete courses in Education, Psychology and Special Education. All courses required for certification must be completed with a grade of C or better prior to entering clinical practice. The program requirements listed below will assist students in planning a program of studies. Students should examine their undergraduate transcripts to determine which courses may have already been completed that would satisfy the listed requirements.
Education Course Requirements (15 Credits Required)
- EDUC 458 BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES FOR INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS* (3).
- EDUC 459 STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING IN INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS* (3).
- PSYCH 443 TREATMENT AND EDUCATION IN DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES (3).
- EDUC 478 SECONDARY TRANSITION FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES (3)
- EDUC 495 INTERNSHIP (3).
* Any candidates enrolling in the program who have already met the Pennsylvania Accommodations and Adaptations requirements in their content area certification preparation program will have these courses substituted.
Special Education Course Requirements (14 Credits)
- SPLED 418 TECHNOLOGIES FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES (2)
- SPLED 409A FUNDAMENTAL LITERACY SKILLS FOR STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS (3)
- SPLED 409B WRITING AND CONTENT LITERACY FOR STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS (3)
- SPLED 409C MATHEMATICS INSTRUCTION FOR STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS (3)
- SPLED 462 AUTISM AND APPLIED BEHAVIOR ANALYSIS (3)\
For course descriptions, visit the Graduate Bulletin.
Penn State Harrisburg has permission from the Pennsylvania Department of Education to adapt the student teaching requirement in the Post-Baccalaureate Program since many of the candidates will be school employees already holding initial certification. In such case, an Internship (EDUC 495) with a certified special education teacher is mandated. This course will require a suitable arrangement for candidates to participate fully in the management and instruction of special education at their schools of employment or another placement when possible or necessary. Candidates who are not employed in a school will be placed under the supervision of a certified special education teacher.
Teacher Education Forms and Handbooks
There is a repository of forms and handbooks related to clearances, state certification testing, and other essential program documents.