Certification Program in Secondary Education: Mathematics
The certification program in Secondary Education Mathematics is designed for an individual who holds a baccalaureate degree and wants to become certified to teach mathematics in Pennsylvania secondary schools (grades 7-12). The program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Students who successfully complete the requirements will be recommended for the Secondary Mathematics Instructional I teaching certificate. Course work is required in both mathematics and education. This program has been recognized by National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
Degree Conferred: Certification only
An applicant must present a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher in the last 60 credits (approximately).
An applicant whose native language is not English is required to submit acceptable scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The scores must be submitted before the application will be considered.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- a completed online application;
- two copies of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended;
- an application fee.
A minimum grade of C is required in all courses for certification; however, a 3.0 grade-point average is required to be eligible for student teaching. In addition, a passing score on the Penn State Harrisburg Mathematics entry exam is required to complete the program.
If you have additional questions, please contact Graduate Admissions, 717-948-6250, or the School of Behavioral Sciences and Education, 717-948-6213.
The Mathematics certification program requires students to take mathematics and education courses. All courses required for certification, including an intensive field experience, must be completed with a grade of C or better prior to student teaching. The information below lists the program requirements and will assist students in planning a program of studies. Students should examine their undergraduate transcripts to determine which courses may have already been completed that would satisfy the listed requirements and list the course taken.
Education Course Requirements
35 Credits Required
- C I 280 (GH) INTRODUCTION TO TEACHING ENGLISH TO ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS (3). Prerequisite: EDPSY 014
- EDPSY 014 LEARNING AND INSTRUCTION (3)
- EDUC 313 FIELD OBSERVATION/PARTICIPATION (2). Prerequisite: admission into Secondary Teacher Certification Program. Prerequisite or concurrent: EDUC 314
- EDUC 314 LEARNING THEORY AND INSTRUCTION PROCEDURES (3). Prerequisite: admission into Secondary Teacher Certification Program. Prerequisite or concurrent: EDUC 313 (EDUC 313 and EDUC 314 must be taken concurrently.)
- EDUC 315W SOCIAL AND CULTURAL FACTORS IN EDUCATION (3). (Certification students must enroll in section reserved for prospective secondary teachers.) Prerequisite: admission in Elementary Education Major or Secondary Teacher Certification Program
- EDUC 417 TEACHING SECONDARY MATHEMATICS (3). (Offered fall term only). Prerequisite: EDUC 314, EDUC 315W, admission into Secondary Mathematics Certification program
- EDUC 458 BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES FOR INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS (3). Prereqisite: admission to Teacher Education program.
- EDUC 459 STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING IN INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS (3). Prereqisite: admission to Teacher Certification program or Approval of program.
- EDUC 490 STUDENT TEACHING (12). Prerequisite: all other courses required for teacher certification (EDUC 490 and EDUC 435 must be taken concurrently.)
Mathematics Course Requirements
32 Credits Required
- MATH 140 CALCULUS WITH ANALYTIC GEOMETRY I (4). Prerequisite: MATH 022, MATH 026; or MATH 040 or MATH 041 or satisfactory performance on the mathematics proficiency exam
- MATH 141 CALCULUS WITH ANALYTIC GEOMETRY II (4). Prerequisite: MATH 140, MATH 140A, MATH 140B, or MATH 140H
- MATH 220 MATRICES (2). Prerequisite: MATH 110, MATH 140, or MATH 140H
- MATH 230 CALCULUS AND VECTOR ANALYSIS (4). Prerequisite: MATH 141 or MATH 141H
- STAT 301 STATISTICAL ANALYSIS I (3). Prerequisite: 3 credits of calculus
- MATH 315 FOUNDATIONS OF MATHEMATICS (3). Prerequisite: MATH 141
- MATH 427 FOUNDATIONS OF GEOMETRY (3). Prerequisite: MATH 230 or MATH 231
- MATH 435 BASIC ABSTRACT ALGEBRA (3). Prerequisite: MATH 311W or MATH 315
- MATH 475W INTRODUCTION TO THE HISTORY OF MATHEMATICS (3). Prerequisite: MATH 315 or MATH 311W
One of the following:
- MATH 425 INTRODUCTION TO OPERATIONS RESEARCH (3). Prerequisite: MATH 141 and MATH 220
- MATH 450 MATHEMATICAL MODELING (3). Prerequisite: MATH 315, MATH 430; or MATH 405 or MATH 412
Computer Science Requirements
3 Credits Required
CMPSC 121 INTRODUCTION TO PROGRAMMING TECHNIQUES (3). Prerequisite: MATH 110 or prerequisite or concurrent MATH 140
For a complete list of courses, visit the University Bulletin.
Teacher Education Forms and Handbooks
A repository of forms and handbooks related to clearances, state certification testing, and other essential program documents
This page is not a part of the official Penn State University Bulletin.
Related Academic Programs
- 1 of 2