Certification Program in Secondary Education: English
The certification program in Secondary Education English is designed for an individual who holds a baccalaureate degree and wants to become certified to teach English in Pennsylvania secondary schools (grades 7-12). The program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Students who successfully complete all requirements will be recommended for the Secondary English Instructional I teaching certificate. Course work is required in both English and education. This program has been recognized by National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
Degree Conferred: Certification only
An applicant must present a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher in the last 60 credits (approximately).
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- a completed online application;
- two copies of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended;
- an application fee.
A minimum grade of C is required in all courses for certification; however, a 3.0 grade-point average is required to be eligible for student teaching.
Before being placed for student teaching, students must demonstrate writing competency through preparing a writing portfolio. Information is available in the School of Humanities office.
If you have additional questions, please contact Graduate Admissions, 717-948-6250, or the School of Behavioral Sciences and Education, 717-948-6213.
The English certification program requires students to take English and education courses. All courses required for certification, including an intensive fi eld experience, must be completed with a grade of C or better prior to student teaching. The program requirements listed below will assist students in planning a program of study. Students should examine their undergraduate transcripts to determine which courses may have already been completed that would satisfy the listed requirements.
Education Course Requirements (35 Credits)
- C I 280 (GH) INTRODUCTION TO TEACHING ENGLISH TO ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS (3). Prerequisite: EDPSY 014
- EDPSY 014 LEARNING AND INSTRUCTION (3)
- EDUC 313 FIELD OBSERVATION/PARTICIPATION (2)
- EDUC 314 LEARNING THEORY AND INSTRUCTIONAL PROCEDURES (3) (EDUC 313 and EDUC 314 must be taken concurrently and are offered fall term only.)
- EDUC 315W SOCIAL AND CULTURAL FACTORS IN EDUCATION (3) (Offered spring term only) (Certification students must enroll in the section reserved for prospective secondary teachers.)
- EDUC 322 ADOLESCENT LITERATURE AND DEVELOPMENTAL READING (3) (Offered spring term only)
- EDUC 416 TEACHING SECONDARY ENGLISH AND HUMANITIES (3) (Offered fall term only)
- EDUC 458 BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES FOR INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS (3). Prereqisite: admission to Teacher Education program.
- EDUC 459 STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING IN INCLUSIVE CLASSROOMS (3). Prereqisite: admission to Teacher Certification program or Approval of program.
- EDUC 490 STUDENT TEACHING (12)
English Course Requirements (33 Credits) (Effective Fall 2011)
- Undergraduate Composition (6 credits)
- American Literature Survey (3 credits) or British Literature Survey
- ENGL 200W INTRODUCTION TO CRITICAL READING (3)
- ENGL 444 SHAKESPEARE (3) (Offered spring term only)
- ENGL 470 RHETORICAL THEORY AND PRACTICE (3) (Offered fall term only)
- 300 - 400 Level American Literature (at least 3 credits)
- 300 - 400 Level British Literature (at least 3 credits)
- World Literature (3 credits)
- 2 additional literature courses (6 credits)
- Students must also successfully complete a writing portfolio (2)
For a list of courses, visit the web.
This page is not a part of the official Penn State University Bulletin.