March 4-11, 2017
Cost: $2,950 (includes airfare, transfers, taxes and fuel surcharge)
ENGL 199 (IL) or ENGL 499 (IL) 3 Credits
This course provides an immersive experience exploring London theatre. We will see 4 to 5 plays, which we will discuss and analyze before traveling to London so that students will be familiar with them, and be enriched by a post-performance group discussion. We will also explore London, on organized tours to the Globe Theatre, Westminster Abbey, Hampton Court, and much more. The course will also provide free time to get to know some of London’s great museums such as The National Gallery or the Tate Modern and the Tate Britain.
Course Registration (for course credit)
- Meet with your academic adviser to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your adviser sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available at www.registrar.psu.edu/registration/dropping_courses.cfm.
- Contact the travel agency (contact information on back panel) to make a deposit or pay the total cost of the trip and obtain a receipt.
- Bring your signed drop/add form and travel agency receipt to the Office of the Registrar in the Swatara Building to complete enrollment.
- Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group reading, journal, etc., during the spring 2017 semester.
- Students must be free of any current coduct reviews or conduct sanctions. Eligibility will be verified, and each participant grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Conduct.
Award funds are available to undergraduate honors students through the Penn State Harrisburg Honors programs. The University also has funds for students traveling internationally For details, visit http://gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu and select the "Scholarships and Grants" link. A limited number of travel awards for Penn State Harrisburg students are available through the Penn State Harrisburg Office of International Programs. The applications deadline is October 21.
Please visit https://harrisburg.psu.edu/international-programs/grants-and-awards or contact Marie-Louise Abram at email@example.com for information.
Itinerary and visits subject to change without notice.
Day 1 • Saturday, March 4Transfer by minivan or coach from Penn State Harrisburg to Washington/Dulles International Airport. Check in for British Airways flight #216, departing for London Heathrow Airport at 6:15 p.m. Arrive in London at 6:25 a.m. (+1)
Day 2 • Sunday March 5
Upon arrival at London Heathrow Airport, assistance and transfer to Hotel ibis Earl Court. Enjoy an orientation tour of the British Capital. Stop for photos and get familiar with the most well know landmarks of London. Check-in after 2:00 p.m. Luggage storage is available. You will receive your Oyster pass, which with a value of 30 GBP will allow you to travel around at the least expensive price.
During the next five days, cultural activities will be organized in relation to the theatre shows which will be available either during a matinee or evening performance. The schedule and listing of cultural visits and shows will depend on availability.
Day 3 • Monday, March 6Enjoy an English breakfast at the hotel. Visit the British Museum. Entrance is free and docents are available to provide free tours of the various sections of the museum throughout the day. Backstage tour of a theatre in the afternoon. Theatre performance in the evening.
Day 4 • Tuesday, March 7English breakfast at the hotel. Cultural visits on your own (suggested – Trafalgar Square, where you will find the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery – admission is free). Afternoon guided tour of Westminster Abbey. Theatre performance in the evening.
Day 5 • Wednesday, March 8English breakfast at the hotel. Take the bus in front of your hotel to go to the Victoria and Albert Museum. Guided tour of the museum with a focus on theatrical costumes from the Victorian times. Theatre performance in the evening.
Day 6 • Thursday, March 9English breakfast at the hotel. Morning visit to the Globe Theatre. Theatre performance in the evening.
Day 7 • Friday, March 10English breakfast at the hotel. Free day at leisure. Some recommendations include Buckingham Palace and the Changing of the Guards, then visit the Tower of London, or consider a day excursion to Windsor Castle – additional costs apply.
Day 8 • Saturday, March 11Enjoy your final breakfast at the hotel before departing for London Heathrow Airport for your flight back to Washington/Dulles International Airport. British Airways #217, departing at 11:15 a.m., arriving in Philadelphia at 2:40 p.m. Transfer to Penn State Harrisburg.
All efforts have been made to choose a comfortable, moderately priced hotel in order to keep the price of the trip reasonable.
Ibis London Earls Court Hotel
47 Lillie Road, Earl’s Court,
London SW6 1 UD,
The exact time of these flights is subject to change and will be reconfirmed. Check-in at the airport is three hours prior to departure time.
- Saturday, March 4, 2017 – British Airways BA #216 Washington/Dulles International Airport 6:15 p.m. to London Heathrow Airport 6:25 a.m. (+1)
- Saturday, March 11, 2017 – British Airways BA #217 London Heathrow Airport 11:15 a.m. to Washington/Dulles International Airport 2:40 p.m.
- Round-trip airfare from Washington/Dulles International Airport to London Heathrow Airport
- Round-trip transfers between Penn State Harrisburg and Washington/Dulles International Airport
- Airport taxes subject to increase before ticketing
- Hotel accommodations as per itinerary
- Breakfast daily
- All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees as per itinerary
Price Does Not Include
- Mandatory travel and medical insurance which must be obtained by all students, visitors and participants through HTH Worldwide. (Approximately $1.25 per day)
- Single room supplement $400
- Service fee of 3 percent on any amount paid by credit card
- Gratuities for guides and drivers while in London
- Excess luggage
- Meals not included in the itinerary
- London city tax of 3-4 GBP per person per night must be paid directly to the hotel upon arrival
- Cost of personal items: phone, drinks, souvenirs, internet, laundry, etc.
- Passport fees - Passport should be valid until September 12, 2017
Marie-Louise Abram, Director of International Programs, 717-948-6003, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Matthew Wilson, Professor of English and Humanities, 717-948-6191, email@example.com
$150 of this deposit is a non-refundable processing fee to Celestial Voyagers. Your deposit will assure your reservation with the airline, the hotel and other suppliers. The deposit must be sent with a copy of your passport as soon as you register online.
Send your deposit prior to December 1, 2016. After this date, space may not be available and a supplement may apply.
Balance due no later than January 2, 2017.
All payments by check must be made to Celestial Voyagers.
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3 percent service fee for all online payments.
- Phone: Celestial Voyagers accepts credit card and e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3 percent service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: Your third payment option is to mail in a paper check or money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the "Contact Celestial Voyagers" section.
Course registration is separate from trip registration.
Upon receipt of your deposit, Celestial Voyagers will send you a receipt that you must present at Penn State Harrisburg’s Office of the Registrar to register for the course.
If you intend to travel internationally, apply for your passport immediately. Failure to provide passport information may delay airline ticketing for our group.
Register for the trip online at Celestial Voyagers' website After registering, you must mail your deposit within 48 hours with a copy of your passport, if available (photos or scans of passports are acceptable).
- Tour # 4783
- Tour name: Penn State Harrisburg London Theatre 2017
Mail your deposit and copy of your passport (if available) immediately to:
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS11
Long Island City, NY 11101
Terms and Conditions
Celestial Voyagers' terms are based on contracts with airlines, hotels and other suppliers. The terms and stipulations mentioned below are bound by these contracts and will be strictly enforced. A passport valid until September 12, 2017 is required.
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS 11
Long Island City, NY 11101
For information, contact:
Director, International Programs
Penn State Harrisburg
777 West Harrisburg Pike
C114R Olmsted Building
Middletown, PA 17057