March 3-11, 2017
Cost: $2,895 (includes airfare, transfers, taxes and fuel surcharge)
Prerequisite - FIN 301 (for undergraduate students)
FIN 456 or FINAN 596 London
The objective of this course is to provide finance students with exposure to the international capital markets, particularly in the U.K. Modern financial markets are complex and global, and due to their rapid integration, it is essential for finance students to have exposure to them. While in London, students will become familiar with the U.K. banking system and financial and derivatives markets.
Course Registration (for course credit)
- Meet with your academic adviser to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your adviser sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available at www.registrar.psu.edu/registration/dropping_courses.cfm.
- Contact WorldStrides Capstone (https://olr.worldstrides.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/RegisterOnline/OLRdefault.htm) to register and pay the deposit or total cost for the trip and obtain a receipt from the agency.
- Bring your signed drop/add form and travel agency receipt to the Office of the Registrar in the Swatara Building to complete enrollment.
- Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group reading, journal, etc., during the spring 2017 semester.
- Students must have at least fifth semester standing by the spring 2017 semester or permission of the program.
- Students must be free of any current coduct reviews or conduct sanctions. Eligibility will be verified, and each participant grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Conduct.
Award funds are available to undergraduate honors students through the Penn State Harrisburg Honors programs. The University also has funds for students traveling internationally For details, visit http://gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu and select the "Scholarships and Grants" link. A limited number of travel awards for Penn State Harrisburg students are available through the Penn State Harrisburg Office of International Programs. The applications deadline is October 21.
Please visit https://harrisburg.psu.edu/international-programs/grants-and-awards or contact Marie-Louise Abram at email@example.com for information.
Itinerary and visits subject to change without notice.
Day 1 • Friday, March 3
Departure from Newark Liberty International Airport with British Airways #184 at 6:35 p.m., non-stop to London Heathrow Airport, arriving the next day at 6:25 a.m.
Day 2 • Saturday, March 4Upon arrival, you will be met by private coach and assistant for transfer to the hotel. Check into the hotel for seven nights. Half-day guided sightseeing tour with a visit to St. Paul’s Cathedral, then travel by tube to Westminster and view the Houses of Parliament, Downing Street, Westminster Abbey (from the outside), and the government ministries. You will be provided with a seven-day tube pass for travel around the city.
Day 3 • Sunday, March 5Breakfast at the hotel. Free day on your own.
Day 4 • Monday, March 6Breakfast at the hotel. Meet your guide in the lobby for a morning walking tour of the financial district. Corporate visit to Lloyd’s of London. Afternoon and evening on your own.
Day 5 • Tuesday, March 7After breakfast at the hotel, travel to Oxford University for a guided tour and lecture.
Day 6 • Wednesday, March 8Following breakfast, morning and afternoon corporate visits to be announced.
Day 7 • Thursday, March 9After breakfast, morning and afternoon corporate visits to be announced.
Day 8 • Friday, March 10After breakfast, morning and afternoon corporate visits to be announced.
Day 9 • Saturday, March 11Check out of hotel and transfer to London Heathrow Airport for return to U.S. Return flight on British Airways flight #189, departing at 3:10 p.m., arriving in Newark at 6:25 p.m.**Examples of past corporate visits: JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, and London Stock Exchange**
All efforts have been made to choose a comfortable, moderately priced hotel in order to keep the price of the trip reasonable.
St. Giles Hotel
Central London, Bedford Avenue
London WC1B 3GH
+(44)0 20 7300 3000
The exact time of these flights is subject to change and will be reconfirmed. Check-in at the airport is three hours prior to departure time.
Friday, March 3, 2017 – British Airways #184 Newark Liberty International Airport 6:35 p.m. to London Heathrow Airport 6:35 a.m. (+1)
Saturday, March 11, 2017 – British Airways #189 London Heathrow Airport 3:10 p.m. to Newark Liberty International Airport 6:25 p.m.
- Round-trip airfare from Newark Liberty International Airport to London Heathrow Airport
- Hotels accommodations as per itinerary (Hotels in London are only available as double rooms. In the event of an uneven number of class participants, the final registrant will be required to pay the single supplement of $386. The Office of International Programs will work closely with students to understand this responsibility)
- Buffet breakfast daily
- Gratuities for drivers and guides
- All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees as per itinerary
Price Does Not Include
- Transfer to and from Newark Liberty International Airport
- Single room supplement + $386.
- Mandatory travel and medical insurance which must be obtained by all students and participants through HTH Worldwide (approx $1.25 per day)
- Internet service at the hotel (GBP 10 per 24 hours)
- Excess luggage
- Meals other than breakfast
- Personal expenses
- Passport fees - Passport should be valid until September 12, 2017
You will be responsible for transportation or a supplement may be added from the Office of International Programs for charter bus service to and from the airport. You will be notified if a charger service is planned and what the supplement will be.
Deposit: $400 (Non-refundable)
Your deposit will assure your reservation with the hotel and other suppliers. Your deposit can be paid online by credit card or electronic check. If you are paying by regular check, payment must be sent with a copy of your passport as soon as your registration has been made online.
Half due November 4, 2016 ($1,248). Final payment of $1,247 or remaining balance due Janaury 4, 2017. Credit card, debit card, or electronic check payments will be accepted by WorldStrides Capstone.
A late fee of $40 per person will be assessed if payments are not received within seven days of their respective due dates unless advance arrangements have been made. These arrangements and requests must be made in writing to WorldStrides Capstone.
All cancellations must be sent in writing via e-mail or fax to WorldStrides Capstone. Cancellations are effective on the date they are received by WorldStrides Capstone.
- GROUND SERVICES DEPOSIT: The $200 per person Ground Services is non-refundable.
- INTERNATIONAL AIR DEPOSIT: A $200 per person deposit is required to hold the group international air space. Between 120 and 61 days prior to departure, there is a $200 per seat cancellations penalty.
- CANCELLATIONS RECEIVED 31 TO 60 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE: For any cancellations received between January 3, 2017 and February 1, 2017, WorldStrides will retain 50 percent of the Ground Services portion of the program fee ($1,448).
- CANCELLATIONS WITHIN 30 DAYS OF DEPARTURE (OR NO-SHOW): Cancellations received February 2, 2017 and after are subject to a cancellation fee equal to 100 percent of the Ground Services fee ($2,895).
Course registration is separate from trip registration.
Upon receiving your deposit, WorldStrides Capstone will send you a receipt that you must present at the Penn State Harrisburg’s Office of the Registrar to register for the course.
If you intend to travel internationally, apply for your passport immediately. Failure to provide passport information may delay airline ticketing for our group.
To register, visit https://olr.worldstrides.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/RegisterOnline/OLRdefault.htm
- Click “Register To Travel.”
- When prompted, enter the Penn State Harrisburg Trip ID: 136602
- Enter the requested security characters, and click on “Register Now.”
- Review the summary page and click “Register” to enter your information.
Terms and Conditions
WorldStrides Capstone terms are based on contracts with hotels and other suppliers. The terms and stipulations noted below are bound by these contracts and will be strictly enforced. A passport valid until September 12, 2017 is required.
WorldStrides Capstone Account Manager: Alanna Rankin
Suite 400, 218 West Water Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902
For information, contact:
Director, International Programs
Penn State Harrisburg
777 West Harrisburg Pike
C114R Olmsted Building
Middletown, PA 17057