March 4-11, 2017
Cost: $1,895 (includes airfare, transfers, taxes and fuel surcharge)
SUST 200 – Foundations of Leadership in Sustainability (GS 3 credits)
Germany is a dynamic force in the area of engineering in the heart of the European Union. Sustainability 200 will explore the social, environmental, and economic sustainability of industrial enterprises in Germany. By the end of the semester you should be able to:
- Define a meaningful concept of sustainability and explain your conceptual evolution.
- Explain major sustainability challenges at multiple scales and convey the urgency of addressing them.
- Describe leadership styles including your own and others’, and the value of different styles.
- Describe how you can address sustainability in your personal, civic, and professional lives.
Course Registration (for course credit)
- Meet with your academic adviser to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your adviser sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available at www.registrar.psu.edu/registration/dropping_courses.cfm.
- Contact the travel agency (contact information on back panel) to make a deposit or pay the total cost of the trip and obtain a receipt.
- Bring your signed drop/add form and travel agency receipt to the Office of the Registrar in the Swatara Building to complete enrollment.
- Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group reading, journal, etc., during the spring 2017 semester.
- Students must be free of any current coduct reviews or conduct sanctions. Eligibility will be verified, and each participant grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Conduct.
Award funds are available to undergraduate honors students through the Penn State Harrisburg Honors programs. The University also has funds for students traveling internationally For details, visit http://gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu and select the "Scholarships and Grants" link. A limited number of travel awards for Penn State Harrisburg students are available through the Penn State Harrisburg Office of International Programs. The applications deadline is October 21.
Please visit https://harrisburg.psu.edu/international-programs/grants-and-awards or contact Marie-Louise Abram at email@example.com for information.
Itinerary and visits subject to change without notice.
Day 1 • Saturday, March 4Transfer by minivan or coach from Penn State Harrisburg campus to Philadelphia International Airport. Depart from Philadelphia to Frankfurt with American Airlines on flight AA#700 departing at 4:30 p.m.
Day 2 • Sunday March 5Arrival in Frankfurt at 6:15 a.m. Assistance and transfer to Darmstadt. Check into your hotel for a six night stay.
Day 3 • Monday, March 6After breakfast, travel to Russelsheim Opelwek to visit Opel. Opel is a German automobile manufacturer and subsidiary of General Motors.
Day 4 • Tuesday, March 7Following breakfast, depart for Wörrstadt, where you will find the headquarters of Juwi Group, one of the world's leading companies in the area of renewable energy.
Day 5 • Wednesday, March 8After breakfast, visit TE Connectivity.
Day 6 • Thursday, March 9After breakfast visit the Siemens, the largest engineering company in Europe.
Day 7 • Friday, March 10Following breakfast, travel to Frankfurt for a presentation at IHK, the Frankfurt Chamber of Commerce. IHK ensures the success of all companies in Frankfurt. It supports start-ups, helps companies find investors, support corporations in legal matters and offers energy consultancy service to companies who want to become more environmentally aware.
Day 8 • Saturday, March 11Transfer to Frankfurt airport for your return flight home with American Airlines. Depart on flight AA#701 leaving at 8:35 a.m., arriving in Philadelphia at 11:40 a.m. Transfer to Penn State Harrisburg.
All efforts have been made to choose a comfortable, moderately priced hotel in order to keep the price of the trip reasonable.
The exact time of these flights is subject to change and will be reconfirmed. Check-in at the airport is three hours prior to departure time.
Saturday, March 4, 2017 – American Airlines AA #700 Philadelphia International Airport 4:30 p.m. to Frankfurt Airport 6:15 a.m. (+1)
Saturday, March 11, 2017 – American Airlines AA #701 Frankfurt Airport 8:35 a.m. to Philadelphia International Airport 11:40 a.m.
- Round-trip airfare from Philadelphia International Airport to Frankfurt Airport
- Transfer from Penn State Harrisburg to and from Philadelphia International Airport
- Airport taxes and fuel surcharge-subject to increase before ticketing
- Hotel accommodations as per itinerary
- Meals provided per itinerary
- All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees as per itinerary
Price Does Not Include
- Mandatory travel and medical insurance which must be obtained by all students, visitors and participants through HTH Worldwide. (Approximately $1.25 per day)
- Single room supplement $465
- Service fee of 3 percent on any amount paid by credit card
- Gratuities for guides and drivers while in Germany
- Meals not included in the itinerary
- Personal expenses
- Passport fees (Passport should be valid until September 12, 2017)
Marie-Louise Abram, Director of International Programs, 717-948-6003, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Richard Ciocci, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, 717-948-6095, email@example.com
$150 of this deposit is a non-refundable processing fee to Celestial Voyagers. Your deposit will assure your reservation with the airline, the hotel and other suppliers. The deposit must be sent with a copy of your passport as soon as you register online.
Send your deposit prior to December 1, 2016. After this date, space may not be available and a supplement may apply.
Balance due no later than January 16, 2017.
All payments by check must be made to Celestial Voyagers.
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3 percent service fee for all online payments.
- Phone: Celestial Voyagers accepts credit card and e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3 percent service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: Your third payment option is to mail in a paper check or money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the "Contact Celestial Voyagers" section.
Course registration is separate from trip registration.
Upon receipt of your deposit, Celestial Voyagers will send you a receipt that you must present at Penn State Harrisburg’s Office of the Registrar to register for the course.
If you intend to travel internationally, apply for your passport immediately. Failure to provide passport information may delay airline ticketing for our group.
Register for the trip online at Celestial Voyagers' website After registering, you must mail your deposit within 48 hours with a copy of your passport, if available (photos or scans of passports are acceptable).
- Tour # 4823
- Tour name: Penn State Harrisburg Germany 2017
Mail your deposit and copy of your passport (if available) immediately to:
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS11
Long Island City, NY 11101
Terms and Conditions
Celestial Voyagers' terms are based on contracts with airlines, hotels and other suppliers. The terms and stipulations mentioned below are bound by these contracts and will be strictly enforced. A passport valid until September 14, 2017 is required.
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, Suite WS 11
Long Island City, NY 11101
For information, contact:
Director, International Programs
Penn State Harrisburg
777 West Harrisburg Pike
C114R Olmsted Building
Middletown, PA 17057