- 1. Course Registration (for course credit)
- 2. Course Requirements
- 3. Travel Awards
- 4. Contacts
- 5. China Itinerary
- 6. Hotel Accommodations
- 7. Airline Schedule
- 8. Price
- 9. Terms and Conditions
- 10. Trip Registration
March 7-16, 2014
Penn State Harrisburg • Tour #4440
China IB299 and BUS596
A complex nation, China is home to 20 percent of the world’s population and plays an ever-increasing role in globalization. This course will provide an introduction to the history, economy, and political culture of this influential country.
Course Registration (for course credit)
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your advisor sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available online at Registrar web site.
- Contact the travel agency to make a deposit or pay the total cost of the trip and obtain a receipt.
- Bring your signed drop/add form and travel agency receipt to the Registrar’s Office in the Swatara Building to complete course enrollment.
- Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group readings, journals, etc., during spring 2014 term
- At least fifth semester standing by the spring 2014 semester or permission from the program
- Free of judicial review or judicial sanction. Eligibility will be verified, and each participate grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Conduct.
If you are an undergraduate honors student, there is award money available for you through the honors program at Penn State Harrisburg. The University also has money for students traveling internationally. For details, visit http://gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu and select the “Scholarships and Grants” link. Refer to the section regarding embedded programs. A limited number of travel awards are available through the Penn State Harrisburg Office of International Programs. The application deadline is November 1, 2013. Visit hbg.psu.edu/international/travelawards.php or contact Marie-Louise Abram, firstname.lastname@example.org, for information.
Itinerary and visits subject to change without notice.
Day 1 • Friday, March 7
- Departure from Newark Airport on United Airlines UA 86 at 11:05 a.m.
Check-in three hours prior to departure.
Day 2 • Saturday, March 8 – Arrival Shanghai
- Arrival - Shanghai Pudong Airport at 2:55 p.m.
- Bus transport and assistance to your hotel.
Check-in for four nights.
Day 3 • Sunday, March 9 – Shanghai
- Full-day sightseeing tour with bus and English speaking assistant.
- Visit the Jade Buddha Temple, then the Yu Garden.
- In afternoon, visit Pudong new development area and the Bund.
Evening performance of Circus World acrobatic show (tickets and transfers provided).
Day 4 • Monday, March 10 – Shanghai
- Motorcoach and English-speaking assistant available for the day.
- Morning visit to Bao Steel Factory, followed by lunch break.
- Plan to bring food for lunch as few restaurants are located near the plants. We recommend hearty snacks, as no refrigeration will be available.
Afternoon visit to TE Connectivity.
Day 5 • Tuesday, March 11 – Shanghai
- Morning – cultural visits on your own.
- Lunch on your own.
- Guide available to advise on local attractions.
Return to the hotel for 11:30 a.m. departure for the Hershey Factory.
Day 6 • Wednesday, March 12 – Shanghai/Xian
- Transfer and assistance to Pudong Airport for morning flight to Xian.
- Assistance and transfer on arrival to the Grand New World Hotel in Xian.
- Guide and transportation to visit Xian.
- Entrance to movie.
- Entrance to Museum of Terracotta Warriors and Bronze Chariots & Horses in Lintong.
- Tang Dynasty show.
Transfers are included.
Day 7 • Thursday, March 13 – Xian/Beijing
- Morning – visit to a small art museum with the chance to learn calligraphy with art students.
- Stop for lunch, shopping and a visit to the Old Town and the Muslim Quarter.
- Visit to Qiyaun Motor Factory.
- Depart at 5:00 p.m. for flight to Beijing.
Assistance and transfer to airport and hotel.
Day 8 • Friday, March 14 – Beijing
- Bus and English-speaking assistant available for the day.
- Morning visit to Beijng Niulanshan Distillery.
Afternoon visit to Shunxing Pork Processing Factory.
Day 9 • Saturday, March 15 – Beijing
- Morning – visit Summer Palace, then excursion to the Great Wall.
- Guide and coach service for 11 hours.
- Walk along the Great Wall.
Shop at Silk Street Market.
Day 10 • Sunday, March 16 - Return
- Morning – Beijing sightseeing: Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City.
- Tour ends at airport.
- Depart Beijing on United Airlines flight UA 88 at 4:35 p.m.
Holiday Inn Express
843 Guangfu Xi Road
Shanghai 200063 China
Howard Johnson Paragon
18A Jian Guo Men Nei Avenue
Grand New World Hotel in Xian
No. 172 Lianhu Road
Xian, China 710002
Flight times subject to change and will be reconfirmed. Check-in at airport three hours prior to departure.
Friday, March 7, 2014 United Airlines UA 86 Newark 11:05 a.m. Shanghai 2:55 p.m.
Sunday, March 16, 2014 United Airlines UA 88 Beijing 4:35 p.m. Newark 6:10 p.m.
- Airfare from Newark to Shanghai, flights within the tour, and return from Beijing
- Transfer from Penn State Harrisburg to and from Newark Airport
- Airport taxes and fuel surcharge. Subject to increases before ticketing
- Hotel accommodations per itinerary (Hotels in China are only available as double rooms. In the event of an uneven number of class participants, the final registrant will be required to pay the single supplement of $345. The Office of International Programs will work closely with students to understand this responsibility.
- Hot buffet breakfast daily
- All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees, per itinerary.
Price Does Not Include
- Single room supplement – $345.
- Mandatory travel and medical insurance which all students and participants must obtain through HTH Worldwide (approx. $1.25 per day)
- Excess luggage.
- Meals other than breakfast.
- Merchant fee of 3.5% for credit card payments.
- Personal expenses.
- Passport fees. Passport should be valid until September 17, 2014.
- Visa fees. A visa is required for all American citizens. Information is available at china-embassy.org. The Office of International Programs plans to do a group registration in January with students who register for the course (details to follow).
Terms and Conditions
Celestial Voyagers terms are based on contracts with airlines, hotels and other suppliers. The terms and stipulations mentioned below are bound by these contracts and will be strictly enforced. A passport valid until September 17, 2014 and a visa are required. Visa processing may take several weeks depending on your country of origin.
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, SW 11
Long Island City, NY 11101
Director, International Programs, Penn State Harrisburg
777 West Harrisburg Pike, Middletown, PA 17057
$150.00 of this is a non-refundable processing fee to Celestial Voyagers. The deposit will assure your reservation with the airline, the hotel, and other suppliers. Deposit must be sent with a copy of the participant’s passport following online registration.
Send the deposit as soon as possible, prior to November 22, 2013. After this date, space may not be available and a supplement may apply.
Balance due no later than December 21, 2013. All payments by check must be made to Celestial Voyagers.
Credit Card Payments
Celestial Voyagers accepts Visa and MasterCard. As merchant fees are not included in the package price, a supplement of 3.5% applies to credit card payments
In the case of cancellation, penalties will apply. All cancellations must be received in writing. Written cancellation received between November 22, 2013, and December 20, 2013 will incur a $150 processing fee and an additional $150 (total $300). Written cancellation received between December 20, 2013 and January 14, 2014 incurs a penalty of 50% of the total trip cost. Written cancellation received on or after January 14, 2014 and no-shows incur a penalty of 100% of the total trip cost.
Course registration is separate from trip registration. Upon receipt of the deposit, Celestial Voyagers will send participants a receipt that must be presented at the Penn State Harrisburg Registrar’s Office to register for the course.
If you intend to travel internationally, apply for your passport immediately. Failure to provide passport information may delay airline ticketing for our group.
Register for the trip online at Celestial Voyagers site. After registering, you must mail your deposit within 48 hours with a copy of your passport, if available. Please provide the following information in the comment section:
- Tour # 4343
- Tour name: Penn State Harrisburg China 2014
Course registration is separate from trip registration.
Upon receipt of your deposit, Celestial Voyagers will send you a receipt that you must present at the Penn State Harrisburg registrar’s office to register for the course.
Mail your deposit and copy of your passport (if available) immediately to:
Celestial Voyagers, Inc.
27-28 Thomson Avenue, SW11
Long Island City, NY 11101