Penn State Harrisburg, in coordination with local and regional agencies, will conduct an emergency preparedness exercise in its library, on Friday, September 30 starting at 9:00 a.m. The library will be closed to the public between 7:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Elizabeth J. Tisdell, Ed.D.
Dr. Elizabeth Tisdell, professor of adult education, received her Ed.D. in adult education from the University of Georgia, and holds an M.A. in religion and religious education from Fordham University. Dr. Tisdell is currently the coordinator of the doctoral program in adult education at the Penn State Harrisburg, the co-editor of the journal, Adult Education Quarterly, and serves on the editorial board of numerous international journals relating to research in adult and higher education.
- Adult Development and learning
- Feminist ,Critical and Multicultural Pedagogy
- Spirituality and Culture in Adult and Higher Education
Publications and Research
Books and Monographs
- Tisdell, E., & Thompson, P. (Eds.) (2007). Popular culture, entertainment media, and adult education. New Directions in Adult and Continuing Education. no 115. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Tisdell, E.J. (2003). Exploring spirituality and culture in adult and higher education . San Francisco: Jossey Bass
Selected Journal Articles
- Tisdell, E. (2008). Critical media literacy and transformative learning: Drawing on pop culture and entertainment media in teaching for diversity in adult higher education. Journal of Transformative Education, 6 (1), 48-67.
- Taylor, E., Tisdell, E., & Gusic, M. (2007). Teaching beliefs of medical educators: Perspectives on clinical teaching in pediatrics. Medical Teacher, 29, 371-376.
- Tisdell, E., & Thompson, P. (2007). Seeing “from a different angle”: The role of pop culture in teaching for diversity and critical media literacy in adult education. International Journal of Lifelong Education, 26, 651-673.
- Tisdell, E. (2007). In the new millennium: The role of spirituality and the cultural imagination in dealing with diversity and equity in the higher education classroom. Teachers College Record, 109, 531-560.
- Tisdell, E. (2006). Spirituality, cultural identity, and epistemology in culturally responsive teaching in higher education. Multicultural Perspectives, 8(3), 19-25.
- Tisdell, E. (2006). Diversity, spirituality, and secular higher education: The teaching paradox. Journal of Religion and Education, 33, 49-68.
- Tisdell, E. & Tolliver E. (2003). Claiming a sacred face: The role of spirituality and cultural identity in transformative adult higher education. Journal of Transformative Education, 1(4). 368-392.
- Tisdell, E. (2002). Spiritual development and cultural context in the lives of women adult educators for social change. Journal of Adult Development, 9, 127-140. Tisdell, E (2000). Spirituality and emancipatory adult education in women adult educators for social change. Adult Education Quarterly, 50, 308-335.
- Tisdell, E (1998). Poststructural feminist pedagogies: The possibilities and limitations of a feminist emancipatory adult learning theory and practice. Adult Education Quarterly, 48, 139-156.
- Tisdell, E. J. (1993). Interlocking systems of power, privilege, and oppression in adult higher education classes. Adult Education Quarterly, 43, 203 226
B.A.; M.A.; Ed.D. (Georgia)
- +1 717 948 6640
- W314 Olmsted Building