8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Verbal Prep [#555995]
January 4, 11 & February 8, 15, 22
Math Prep [#555977]
January 18, 25 & February 1
*Register for both math and verbal and save $10.
Location: Penn State Harrisburg, Middletown
For more information, contact Karen Karnes:
Click for the Brochure!
Getting Ready for the SAT Exam
Prepare for the SAT exam in its entirety: critical reading, writing, and math!
- Develop a study plan
- Practice writing strategies
- Gain confidence
For students in grades 9-12
This course is designed to teach students in grades 9-12 how to effectively apply new strategies to prepare for the comprehensive SAT exam. It will examine and discuss strategic approaches and methodical processes for the critical reading, writing, and math sections through lecture, interactive class discussion, and engaging activities. Each area will include application exercises and practice exams, as well as a writing assessment for the essay component.
- Prepare for the SAT exam in its entirety: critical reading, writing, and math sections
- Apply various strategies for approaching sentence completions
- Analyze complex short and long reading passages
- Practice correct grammar usage
- Identify specific sentence and paragraph errors
- Practice writing strategies to develop a strong position, supportive content, and proficient essay
- Learn key methods to approach difficult math problems
- Address advanced math concepts
- Develop a study plan and gain confidence
- SAT prep overview; critical reading section – introduction, overview, and strategy application; sentence completions – introduction and practice; assignment
- Short and long passages exam/review exam; SAT vocabulary: application and focus/practice; writing section: introduction, overview, and strategy application – identifying sentence errors, improving sentences, and paragraphs
- Writing section exam – comprehensive exam/review exam; essay section: introduction, overview, and strategy application/components – position, examples, organization, and grammar; writing prompts: practice; writing sample
- Review writing sample; essay practice; math section: introduction, overview, and strategy application – numbers and operations, algebra, geometry, and data/probability/statistics; math drills: practice; math assignment
Angel Kelton has an M. Ed. in Language and Literacy from Millersville University with reading specialist certification. She has been teaching at the high school level for eight years, where she has been involved in creating high school appropriate curriculum for study skills, SAT prep, and standardized test prep for diverse learning styles. She has taught various versions of SAT exam prep courses, and will bring many different strategies from those experiences to this course. Additionally, she has experience teaching reading, study strategies, and vocational skill development for high school age learners at a local high school. She can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steven D. Sturgis is a licensed professional engineer in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He is an industrial engineer, retired from M&M/Mars, where he worked for 24 years, developing significant experience in the practical applications of mathematics. He presently works as a math tutor at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, working with students on all areas of math from basic math skills through trigonometry. Steve also volunteers as a mentor in sixth and seventh grade math classes at the Donegal School District. He has successfully tutored mathematics students from eighth grade through the first year of college.