Location: Penn State Harrisburg
Fee: $495 single enrollment; $449 each, multiple enrollments
CEUs: 0.6 CEUs
To Register: There is no session currently scheduled at Harrisburg. Please contact Penn State Continuing Education at 717-948-6700 for information on future sessions or to schedule an on-site offering.
Visit Penn State Management Development to find out whether this program is available at another location or to view additional professional development opportunities.
Cultural Awareness in the Workplace
This program is focused on the Hispanic segment of the workforce, providing participants with an overview of the Hispanic culture, concepts, and tools essential to create an organizational environment where differences are understood and valued and where people who look, talk, and think differently can work together productively. The program includes information on general awareness as well as more specific interactive exercises and small group discussions aimed at improving understanding and relations between both cultural groups.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for managers and supervisors who need to be able to communicate with and motivate Hispanic employees, coach cross-cultural teams, and resolve conflicts in a diverse work environment.
You Can Learn To
- understand and describe relevant Hispanic cultural characteristics, traits, and values
- have greater awareness of your attitudes and behaviors, and the impact these have on Hispanics
- identify your own stereotypes
- recognize the verbal and nonverbal aspects of communication which may impede working relationships
- understand and express yourself using basic phrases in Spanish
- respond effectively in encounters with Hispanic individuals
- use interpersonal skills to accommodate the needs of others who are culturally different
- identify tips and techniques for coaching and motivating Hispanic employees
- Cultural diversity
- Cultural understanding
- Time and space
- Business and personal relationships
- Communication style
- Family issues
- Speaking Spanish on the job
- Hispanic women
- Working with Hispanics
- Workplace strategy
- The Spanish language