First impressions count – you’ve heard it said so many times. Making an excellent first impression is essential for a successful interview. This includes your appearance, your timeliness, but most importantly, your interviewing skills! Interviewing well is a skill – and skills are developed and refined through practice. Before heading into your next interview, spend 30 minutes using our newest technology: InterviewStream!
InterviewStream provides video interview technology so that you are able to practice for any internship or job interview with the use of a computer and webcam. This tool provides feedback and tips of non-verbal behavior and communication missteps.
To get started:
- Go to http://hbg.psu.interviewstream.com
Conduct a virtual interview! Note: you must have a pc or laptop computer with a webcam, or contact the Penn State Harrisburg Career Services office to reserve/borrow a “loaner” webcam. The Penn State Harrisburg Library also has loaner webcams you may checkout at the Circulation desk for use in the library.
- The interviewer will ask you a question and you have no more than two minutes to respond. When finished with your response, click the mouse and it will stop recording.
- “Review” to see your response. After each question, you can either “Retry”, “Skip” or choose “OK” to move on.
- When the interview is complete, you will receive an email with a link to view your responses. You can then email your interview to a Penn State Harrisburg Career Services staff member, a professor, an advisor, employer/supervisor, friends and family to review and give feedback.
- Remember…you can retry answers or entire interviews…practice, practice, practice!
The Penn State Harrisburg Career Services staff advises students to use this software as a tool for improving their interviewing skills. Please be aware you can share your interviews via email with multiple constituents such as a Penn State Harrisburg Career Services staff member, a professor, an advisor, employer/supervisor, friends and family. However, if you decide to send your InterviewStream video to any of these constituents, you should be respectful of the commitments that staff, faculty, employers and alumni manage. Be advised that email is not a secure medium and your messages could be forwarded.
If you do not have access to a webcam you may contact the Penn State Harrisburg Career Services office to reserve/borrow one. If the webcam is not returned on time, or it is damaged, $100.00 will be charged to the student’s Penn State account.
Students borrowing webcams from the Penn State Harrisburg Career Services office agree to:
- Complete the Webcam Borrowing Policy Agreement at the Penn State Harrisburg Career Services office. Please bring your PSU student ID.
Feedback/Critique of Your Interview
InterviewStream videos should not be used as a substitute for face-to-face interviews or without appropriate feedback. Students who wish to receive feedback from a Career Services staff member must call (717) 948 6260 for a counseling appointment to review the video, and of course email the link to the video to Ask4CareerAdvice@psu.edu prior to the appointment.